Logistics help from Alaskans please

Assateague Island Princes

I agree with Glaciers ...that's a lot of driving. OTOH, some people enjoy scenic driving. Instead of backtracking to Anc, why not take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier?

6/4 drive to Valdez (90 miles from Matanuska to Glennallen, then 115 miles along the Richardson Hwy to Valdez). Consider it 4 hrs of drive time plus whatever stops you want to make.

6/5 ferry from Valdez to Whittier. Drive to Seward 1 1/2 hrs

ferry info. https://www.dot.state.ak.us/oars/reservations/QuickSearchFM.amhsf?action=search

From there, we'll head down the Glenn Highway to the Homestead Cabins in Glacier View (thanx for the recommendation, olemissreb - looks like a lovely place!).

You're welcome AIP. You'll have to post when you get back about your experience there. We leave on 6/20 for AK so hopefully I'll see your review before then!

Have fun!

Thanks Glacier and Mapleleaves for your insight. What we were thinking about is doing a day trip to Worthington Glacier on one of the days we are staying at the Homestead Cabins. The 3 hour drive each way wouldn't be an issue; actually, we'd enjoy it. We like getting in the car and just going - we call them our "adventures". This one would have a purpose, which would only add to the fun.:) I think we may just skip Valdez this time out, but I will run your suggestion by my DH, Mapleleaves. It might be something he would enjoy on the day we leave Homestead Cabins. Taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier sounds like an adventure of a lifetime actually!

There are so many options of things to do in the Homestead Cabins area, I just got off the phone with the woman who owns them, and we had a lovely conversation. Thinking about going glassing with her husband one morning, which is right up our alley - looking for wildlife while sitting on a mountain in the high country is so appealing to us!

Olemissreb - I'll try to post something about the Homestead Cabins immediately upon our return, but doubt that I'll get a whole review done before you leave on your trip. So excited about seeing all our plans finally taking shape. Having reservations made helps to make it seem more real.

Glaciers - your photos are absolutely stunning!!! I am so impressed! Sheep Mountain sounds like a winner!

Archived