Pride of America Cruise- Dec. 8

bluknows

Pride of America Cruise- Dec. 8

Like many others I received helpful information on this website so I want to contribute what I found out during our recent trip.

As I started to write this I realized I was going into too much detail and would be way too long. I've decided to to more of an outline format.

Pre Cruise

We spent three days in Waikiki. We have been there before so we didn’t do some of the things we’ve done before (such as visit Pearl Harbor and the North Shore or take a surfing lesson). We had a six-hour time difference to get used to so a few days here was very useful. It helped us build up our sun exposure, as well.

Acting on advice we received on this site we bought a four-day pass on TheBus for $24. It will take you all around the island but, the thing to remember is that it is always not the most direct route. We wanted to go to the Pearl Ridge Shopping Center and it took an hour and 20 minutes each way. One thing we noticed is that the bus drivers barely look at the pass. If we had wanted to use it for two weeks we probably could have.

In addition to visiting the beach each day we also went to the Honolulu Zoo. It was a very pleasant way to spend the morning and easy to walk around.

We also took the bus to the Diamondhead crater and hiked to the top. For those of us who aren’t exactly buff it’s a real workout. It’s a beautiful view from the top.

As a side note - On the way down we ran into a guy hawking “I climbed Diamondhead” T-shirts for $15. He was wearing a sample and it was a nice shirt. The catch was he didn’t have the shirts with him (I suspect he was not licensed to be selling shirts in the park- although he claimed proceeds helped keep the place clean) but he would deliver them to your hotel. Since we had already checked out that wouldn’t work for us. He then said they would mail them out free to your home address. Since we’re from Canada that didn’t work, either. Thinking about this later we were wondering if this was a scam. He takes your money and you never see him or your T-shirt again. Has anybody ever bought one from him?

Cruise Day 1

We cabbed over from Waikiki at about 2:30 p.m. ($25 including tip). Since the rush was over our check-in was quick and easy. We probably could have taken all our bags straight up to our room but we dropped them off at the loading zone and went up to the room with just our backpacks.

Our room was 7524. It was a typical state room with an extra large balcony (photos attached). We grabbed a quick bite in the Aloha Café and, after the lifeboat drill, we took a tour. We attended the sail away show but I guess the jet lag was still with us and my wife started to doze off.

Day 2- Maui

Rented a car with Thrifty (using the Blue Chip program) and drove to Kaanapoli Beach for some snorkeling around Black Rock. As people suggested here we parked at Whalers Village Shopping Center and got three hours of parking by spending $15 in the ABC store. The snorkeling was disappointing but the water was fine and we splashed around in the surf.

Drove to Lahaina for lunch and some souvenir shopping.

We got back to the ship just after three and got one of the last parking spots in the close-to-the-ship parking lot.

Went to the Polynesian Show in the ship theatre and it was excellent. Also played bingo and that was fun, too.

Day 3- Maui

Drove the Road to Hana for a couple of hours (about halfway) and then doubled back. Very narrow road with lots of one-lane bridges but not hard to drive. Many nice views.

In the afternoon we drove down Route 311 toward Wailea and stopped at Kameole Beach Park 3. There was lots of room and the water and weather were fine.

Had our first meal in the main dining room. Food and service were fine.

Attended the movie musical review in the theatre. It was a pleasant way to spend 45 minutes.

Day 4- Hilo

Rented a car from Budget (using their Fast Break Program). Took a walk around downtown Hilo and we weren’t that impressed.

Took helicopter tour (Paradise Tours) over the volcano. We had good views of the lava in the crater and of lava hitting the water.

After our tour we drove up the shore from Hilo for some sightseeing. This was the only day on our cruise that we didn't get in the water.

Attended the Four Seasons Tribute. Not something I would pay big bucks for but it was fine. We cruised past the lava flow at night but since we had no binoculars it wasn’t that impressive. It could have been the lights of a small village from what we could see but, since we knew it was lava, it was cool.

Day 4- Kona

Caught the first tender and took a cab to catch the Fair Winds snorkeling excursion to Kealakekua Bay. You can’t book this one through the ship. They leave at 9:30. We were there at 7:45 so I think you could catch the second or third tender and still be all right. The cab ride was about $25.

The excursion was nice. Kealakekua Bay is an underwater nature reserve so there are plenty of fish. They have a barbecue on board and feed you lunch. They also supply mask, snorkel, and floaties but not fins. A very pleasant outing but expensive, especially when you tack on the $25 cab fare each way.

Day 5- Kauai

Picked up a car from Thrifty, again with no problems. Drove up eastern shore to the end of the road. On the map it looks like quite a drive but it really doesn’t take that long. Lots of nice beaches but on this particular shore at this time of year the weather was a bit rainy and the surf was high. The Kilauea Lighthouse is certainly worth a stop for the excellent view.

We reversed our track and spent the afternoon at Brennecke Beach in Poipu. I rented a boogie board across the street ($6/day) and had a blast. I had been at this beach in 2005 and there had been many rocks under the water where you rode your board in. They’re gone now so the boarding was a breeze.

We dropped off the car and were back on board about 6 p.m. We noticed that when we were driving back from Poipu to Lihue around 5 p.m. that the traffic on Route 50 was extremely busy coming the other way. Apparently this is an everyday thing.

Back on board I found that I had left my camera in the car. We took the shuttle back to the airport. Our car was cleaned and set up for the next rental but they had missed the camera and, after wondering around the lot for about half an hour, we were able to retrieve it.

Day 6- Kauai

Since this is a short day in Kauai we thought it was a good time to take the Tubing the Ditch excursion which is about three hours. We were picked up at 8:30 and taken to a warehouse where we were outfitted with helmets, gloves and water shoes and then it was off to the drop-in spot. Guides were entertaining and relaxed.

This is not a strenuous activity at all. You simply sit in an inner tube and float downstream through irrigation ditches and irrigation tunnels. It’s very relaxing and fun. You bounce off the walls every now and then, hence the need for the gear. They told us the water was cold but, being from Canada, it was warmer than our ocean water ever gets.

We enjoyed this excursion but, once again, we found it to be expensive. That’s just a fact of life in Hawaii, I guess.

We were back at the ship by 11:30 and took a shuttle to the shopping centers just outside the pier area. Ship left at 2 so we could get a view of the Na Pali Coast. This was the only time during the whole cruise that the ship sailed during the daylight hours. The views were most impressive (photo attached)

Overall

We had had no problem with the ship or the service at all. We heard somebody grumbling that Americans don’t know anything about service but that was not our experience. Our housekeeper was efficient and pleasant. We ate in the main dining room three times and the service was prompt and attentive every time. Of course, we consider ourselves to be ”low-maintenance” guests. Perhaps others have higher standards.

On our last visit to Hawaii we visited three islands and it was such a pain getting to the airport, checking your luggage, and waiting for it at the other end. This floating hotel approach to seeing the islands was much more pleasant.

We sailed on the Allure of the Seas in Feb. 2012. With its ice rinks, climbing walls, ziplines, and surf riders, the ship was part of the attraction. The Pride of America was more about the time we spent off the ship and there’s nothing wrong with that.

balcony.jpg.db64b3c2c9d685ad8884c92d57ad6f1d.jpg

room.jpg.12c9c7d9f5a749416f85cf6a1059d688.jpg

room2.jpg.6d03aa5c7c8cb997f2dca3a67844cc18.jpg

coast.jpg.fd9548f496662e542c8a45b46e9c92b1.jpg

Thank you so much for your review! We leave in May and have been going back and forth about the Road to Hana in Maui. Driving 8 hours doesn't seem to appealing to me, but it sounds like even though you did just half you had a great time. By chance - which hotel did you stay in? Still trying to decide where we are staying pre/post cruise. Thanks!

Archived