To MKing8288/Text Messaging while on board

Trobrah

Hi,

I am going on the Gem this coming Wednesday. I only want to use my Iphone to send text messages back to the states. Do I turn off both Cellular Data and Voice Roaming? I'm sorry as I know this is been asked before but I'm still a little confused. Step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay

Voice roaming need to stay on for it to work on the ship and at foreign ports as you will no longer on a "home" signal - for the device to send or receive text messages or calls to get thru. Assumed it's Sim card-based using GSM technology on AT&T or T-Mobile (??) If you call CS at 611 from a 2nd. line - they can usually walk you thru the steps to check your setup & how to safely turn off roaming, both iOS and Android devices use & burn up background data while it is on standby mode. Go to the carrier's website as there are also online tutorials on how-to's. Once the ship's tower is switched on, your phone's display will showed a welcome message & reminder that you are roaming, and signal is from "Cellular At Sea"

You've been cruising so your plan has been activated by the carrier for international travel already for use at various ports as well as on the ship.

My advice and suggestion on howardforum dot com is to switch the sim out to an older non-smart phone (with a micro-Sim adapater, if needed) that is easier on the battery, perfect for voice & text only - and won't use data by default (I kept Nokia, Sony Ericsson & LG's and loan out to family/friends).

One of our nephew was so "excited" and happy when he was in Toronto, Canada 2 years ago that he uploaded/posted a few HD/HQ Facebook photos on his iPhone3 then his older sister paying for the Family shared billing ended up setting for 50% of the reduced AT&T roaming charges at well over $400 - very expensive lesson learned. (And, with the running Apps in the background on the jail broken device which didn't help one bit)

Archived