Escargot shortage

Breezy72

I had them once but it was on a Disney cruise ship and I was not impressed. Being open minded and willing to try something twice, they shall make it to my plate at some point on my next cruise... if they have them back that is.

DW loves them - mainly as a B.D.D. - (butter delivery device) :D

They have been on Celebrity's everyday menu for years, but pulled off when there are shortages. We had a relative on a Holland cruise last week -- they also had no escargot due to supply problems.

So CCL has to pay more for snails because of the shortage and has determined that they can offer them in the venue that charges $35 a person but that they cannot offer them to everyone without having to cut something else. "Shortage" does not mean that the supply has dried up completely (unintentional pun).

See your point but the shortage does drive up the price where it is uneconomical to offer them in the DR.

If that is the case not really the right thing to do to offer them in steakhouse.

See your point but the shortage does drive up the price where it is uneconomical to offer them in the DR.

If that is the case not really the right thing to do to offer them in steakhouse.

Isn't that the point of charging the surcharge, to give passengers the opportunity to enjoy something that isn't available in the MDR?

Really? I'm a vegetarian. Never saw fly poop on the menu. :rolleyes:

meaning cows, sheep etc eat grass which has fly poop on it. Did not know you were a vegetarian - just pointing out that almost everything that goes in our mouths - including vegetables, fruit etc have some disgusting things on and in them. Even coffee and tea - the label will say contains such and such and 5% unknown (flies, bugs, etc). Just trying to be funny - guess I will just save it next time

But when they bring them back... will there or won't there be a 15 snail per day per person limit?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sure they'll say "unlimited" but then everyone over 21 at the table will have to order them, and then you'll be liimited to the 15, but maybe not, but maybe, depending upon the waiter and if you tip them well, but it's "supposed" to be unlimited, but it might not be, but it really might be, it's in a test phase, so to answer your question...maybe, maybe not. My sister's cousin's nephew's neighbor's aunt's teacher's babysitter said that she heard about it from the guy she hooked up with 4 yrs ago from his grandparents who have never cruised...so it must be true.

meaning cows, sheep etc eat grass which has fly poop on it. Did not know you were a vegetarian - just pointing out that almost everything that goes in our mouths - including vegetables, fruit etc have some disgusting things on and in them. Even coffee and tea - the label will say contains such and such and 5% unknown (flies, bugs, etc). Just trying to be funny - guess I will just save it next time

ah, Just more protein! :D

LOL! I know poop is on everything. That's another good reason not to take up smoking. Those tobacco leaves make good TP out there in the field! :eek:

LOL! I know poop is on everything. That's another good reason not to take up smoking. Those tobacco leaves make good TP out there in the field! :eek:

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'hey, let's go smoke some sh*t'.:)

Well, I'm sure they'll say "unlimited" but then everyone over 21 at the table will have to order them, and then you'll be liimited to the 15, .

plus you will have to sign up for the "program" on the first or 2nd day and pay for it for all the days of the cruise... ;)

What would we call the "program" ? the Slime program... the Garlic Butter delivery program... poop on a plate program

No loss in my book.

Agreed. I tried them on two cruises and they were rubbery and not delicious. Had them at a land-based restaurant not too long ago (at a friend's suggestion) and discovered that they can be completely different.

I've liked most food aboard ship but I'll pass on the snails when sailing.

Well, I'm sure they'll say "unlimited" but then everyone over 21 at the table will have to order them, and then you'll be liimited to the 15, but maybe not, but maybe, depending upon the waiter and if you tip them well, but it's "supposed" to be unlimited, but it might not be, but it really might be, it's in a test phase, so to answer your question...maybe, maybe not. My sister's cousin's nephew's neighbor's aunt's teacher's babysitter said that she heard about it from the guy she hooked up with 4 yrs ago from his grandparents who have never cruised...so it must be true.

plus you will have to sign up for the "program" on the first or 2nd day and pay for it for all the days of the cruise... ;)

What would we call the "program" ? the Slime program... the Garlic Butter delivery program... poop on a plate program

Laughing so hard I'm almost crying! Well... if they're back before our next cruise, I hereby promise to be a "Slime Program" guinea pig because I love the darn things. I promise to report back with just the facts (as told to me by my travelling cockroach because he tends to pay more attention than I do)... and of course let you know if we get in trouble since my husband won't eat them - so we'll have to figure out a way to trick that pesky program right out the gate!

So CCL has to pay more for snails because of the shortage and has determined that they can offer them in the venue that charges $35 a person but that they cannot offer them to everyone without having to cut something else. "Shortage" does not mean that the supply has dried up completely (unintentional pun).

Yes! Yes! That's the ticket!

ib4cruzn <---waiting for the beef and vegetable shortage...

I'm gonna guess the shortage has been happening for a while, as we didn't have them on our Dec. 2nd sailing :(

We didn't have them on the Liberty (beginning of December) or the Magic (Christmas) either.

I missed them.

Usually I have an order as an appetizer, then a salad, then a main course consisting of another other of escargot:D.

Archived