Holiday Aloha Part 'ekolu on the Golden Princess to Hawaii 12/19/12 to 1/2/13

Cruisin' Chick

Thank you so much for this. I am sailing on my first cruise on the Golden (27/03/13). I have been eagerly anticipating updates everyday when I get home from work and getting upset when there was none ! To the point when my "girl" said Mum you're sad !

Thank you for posting the review and pictures! I've been reviewing the Patters that you've posted and wondered if they really don't have tea time on sea days? That's one of my favorite activities on a cruise.

Thank you for posting the review and pictures! I've been reviewing the Patters that you've posted and wondered if they really don't have tea time on sea days? That's one of my favorite activities on a cruise.

Please say this isn't so. I love my tea time! The scones are lovely.

Renee

Thank you Patty for your lovely photos of Coco Palms. This article was in the local paper. It looks like it is the end of Coco Palms as we know it. Who knows what will happen now that they are pulling the permit.

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Kauai-officials-could-revoke-Coco-Palms-permits/-/8905354/18329002/-/a13upwz/-/index.html

Renee (displaced local girl)

In the afternoon' date=' I joined a family at a trivia match, and we tied for first and tied the first tiebreaker. So we came that close to winning something (I didn’t want the heart to check out what the prize was).[/font']

That was my family! Small world, isn't it? I still think they should have given both teams the prize - especially since neither team actually got the last question correct - they were just "less wrong" than we were! I am thoroughly enjoying reliving this wonderful cruise through your review!

I pulled out a Patters at random...afternoon tea in the Donatello DR (it's listed on page 4 in the dining guide). Sea and port days. You can breathe a sigh of relief!

Thank you for looking. I'm used to seeing it in the hourly itinerary. Yay for tea time!

In the afternoon' date=' I joined a family at a trivia match, and we tied for first and tied the first tiebreaker. So we came that close to winning something (I didn’t want the heart to check out what the prize was).[/font']

That was my family! Small world, isn't it? I still think they should have given both teams the prize - especially since neither team actually got the last question correct - they were just "less wrong" than we were! I am thoroughly enjoying reliving this wonderful cruise through your review!

It is a small world!:) I imagine if you were on the roll call for our cruise, I could have met you before that day, except I only made it to the sailaway -- and then, my hubby moved to the rail, so I joined him.

Monday – December 31, 2012 – Day at Sea

At 8:52am PST, per the navigation channel: we were at 28 °44.72’ N/ 128°90.36’W. Sunrise 7:25 am, sunset 5:25 pm.

Air temp 59.2°F, barometer 30.2 hg and steady, sea temp 68.0°F/20.0C, the pools were around 93.2, 87.8, 88, 91.4°. NE wind, at 20 kts across the deck, force 5, breeze, slight sea conditions, cloudy

Spent some time after breakfast in the Internet Café. Here’s what the library looks like (as I brought a couple of books and a puzzle magazine, I didn’t need to borrow any books).

SANY0602_zps12dc1977.jpg

The Pastry Extravaganza Buffet was set up at the Calypso pool today.

At noon, the outside temperature was 61°F with cloudy skies. The sea conditions were slight.

The noon announcement included the phrase of the day: Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey. Obviously, that’s referring to very cold temperatures. I looked up the phrase and found: In the days of sailing ships, cannon balls were often stacked in what was called a "monkey", usually made of brass. When the weather got really cold the monkeys, being brass, would contract at a different rate than the iron of the cannonballs, forcing the cannon balls to fall to the ship's deck.

And who said you never learned anything from reading these trip reports?

We had the dress rehearsal for the Hula & Ukulele Masters show in the Princess theater. One thing that amazed with was that one woman in the hula dancers group came looking all casual. Okay fine, you don’t have aloha wear or were saving it for the next day. But everyone was told that it was going to be recorded for the official DVD during the last couple of classes. So she stands in the front row, one of the tallest in the group, and sticking out like a sore thumb among all the women and men wearing flower print dresses and skirts. Did she not notice this?

Here’s the ukulele players at the rehearsal. At least there all looked aloha-ish.

SANY0603_zps8569f94b.jpg

It was Formal Dinner #3. Top hats and tiaras were placed outside the dining rooms:

SANY0610_zps38d8308b.jpg

PC310294_zpscea0e76b.jpg

Our libation:

SANY0609_zpse4c02688.jpg

Art Channel -- The Girl with the Pearl Earring, Stolen

Family Movie Channel – Frankenweenie, Ice Age 2,Tangled

Princess Movie – John Carter, Promenthesus

Romance Channel --- The Vow, The Notebook

Golden TV Channel – 30 Rock, Fitness at Sea, How I Meet Your Mother, Modern Family, Parks & Rec, Love Boat, The Office

I noticed that the Christmas Fire channel was still going.

On MUTS: Overboard, Men in Black 3, George Michael concert film, Paul McCartney concert film, and U2 concert film.

The show Words & Music was presented three times tonight. Also the Rerun of Master Illusionist Alexander. There were also several New Year’s Eve celebrations. The countdown for the British New Year’s was held in the afternoon. The major party and balloon drop count down in the Piazza. Then the late night “Rock In” the New Year’s in Skywalkers.

Time to get ready for the New Year's party:

SANY0605_zps3941d2b1.jpg

SANY0606_zpsb45747be.jpg

SANY0607_zps1de54a73.jpg

SANY0608_zpsd395f15b.jpg

Archived