Cunard v Holland America

Almost Virgin Cruiser

... Your comment about pricing is something I've noticed, too. The cruises out of Boston and Quebec are on smaller ships (this past year Veendam and Maasdam). This class of ship has fewer balcony cabins, and I think that drives up the price. We book the next grade down from a Neptune on these ships, especially if it's a port-intensive cruise.

That must be it. For October 2016 we have booked a seven-night cruise on the QM2 from Quebec to New York. The minimum balcony cabin on a similar HAL cruise in the same month is 50% more than what we are paying on Cunard for a slightly above minimum Britannia stateroom.

• 1 month later...
Holland is by far better :)

No doubt, Holland is a good Country. But ships differ, even within the same cruise line. For example, twice I sailed on ms Veendam - never again. To each his or her own. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Holland is by far better :)
Hi Love_Crusing48,

Welcome to the Cunard part of Cruise Critic :) .

"Holland is by far better" than what? Other parts of the Netherlands? Belgium? :D

Seriously, please expand on that statement, please give just a couple of examples from your Cunard cruises and crossings where you prefered your time with Holland America Line. As Salacia says, ships vary, therefore it would interesting to know which Cunard ships, and which HAL vessels you're comparing. Like Scrapnana, I too would love to hear your comparison, thanks.

Thank you for your help, and welcome once again :)

Edited by pepperrn

No doubt, Holland is a good Country. But ships differ, even within the same cruise line. For example, twice I sailed on ms Veendam - never again. To each his or her own. -S.

As a result of our last two sailings on the Veendam, we will never sail on any Holland America ship again. I think Cunard is far superior to any of the Holland America ships we have ever sailed on.

S.

Thank you for your excellent report and thoughts. In many ways, they compare to our experiences. I also have to remind myself when comparing our past cruise experiences, that fond memories of Cunard and HAL from 25 years ago are different from cruises on either line today.

I share your appreciation for the honest warmth and care by the Indonesian and Filipino crew. (I believe they still maintain special schools in Java and outside Manila). I also appreciate the refined attention on Cunard. Both are wonderful service models, with different strengths.

After reading your report, I started worrying about the decline of the enrichment lectures and offerings (traditionally a strength). And then recalled their new initiatives announced a few days ago, which will hopefully bring that aspect of onboard experience up to expectations.

--- Begin Mark's stream of thought tangent...

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Carnival Corp should do another reshuffling and combine the separate Cunard and HAL lines into a combined business unit with separate brands and experiences, but combined operations and loyalty programs and coordinated schedules and bookings. (As opposed to the current operations link with Princess)

Within the world of large Premium cruise ships (HAL, Celebrity, Princess, P&O, MSC, Cunard, and aspects of RCCL, Carnival, NCL and on the other end Crystal) - no line is more similar to Cunard than HAL. Both have storied histories and proud traditions of worldwide exploration and service.

I would envision keeping the current brands and fleets intact (although it really is time to get rid of the Statendam class in HAL. Maintain the jewel that is the Prinsendam for your small ship boutique and world cruising) Keep the strengths, traditions and signature elements of both lines. Indonesian food and Rijsttafel on HAL, elegant tea and balls on Cunard. Keep the HAL schools.

Combine the two loyalty programs. (with appropriate grandfathering to ensure people don't lose benefits) Allowing people to earn additional credit on either line is a plus for both - and arguably better for Cunard pax, given their more limited itineraries and ships.

By combining schedules and bookings, it would give Cunard an opportunity to use their limited fleet where its heritage makes it strongest, while giving worldwide and lower cost (AKA Caribbean) options for its customers. For HAL cruisers, it allows them to sample signature Cunard experiences like a north atlantic crossing on the QM2.

What about the grills??? As the review indicates, the suite level of HAL is equivalent to the Princess Grill on Cunard. It would be reasonable to align the two. As for Queens Grill - that is a unique Cunard experience and should be kept special.

Operationally, the core of their fleets are based upon Vista family hulls, which makes things handy. Also, fleets maintain relationships with providers in ports of call around the world. Combining resources in that regard would help both.

--- Enough of my thoughts and hijack. Yes, I agree with many of your sentiments, I love both lines (with a special place for Cunard) and when I step aboard a ship from either line, I feel like I'm returning home.

What about the grills??? As the review indicates, the suite level of HAL is equivalent to the Princess Grill on Cunard. It would be reasonable to align the two. As for Queens Grill - that is a unique Cunard experience and should be kept special.

The HAL Neptune suites do not offer what, to me, is the best advantage of the Cunard Grills: a private restaurant with assigned seating but only one sitting with flexible times at all three meals. On our recent HAL cruise we were able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (the extra-charge restaurant open to all at dinner and some lunches.) On HAL, dinner in the main dining room is either open seating downstairs or fixed two sittings on the upper level. We found dinner to be generally good, but not as good as Britannia on Cunard.

The main dining room on HAL is often closed for lunch. For several reasons we avoid lidos except when desperate. Fortunately the Neptune Lounge has an excellent variety of "goodies" all day and this was enjoyable for a light lunch. When we did have lunch in the dining room we found the quality of food to range from poor to barely acceptable. Even the "Mariners Brunch" for loyalty club members was poor - but we did enjoy receiving the souvenir tile.

Then there is the subject of dress code. As many have mentioned, Cunard has dumbed down over the last 10 years, but HAL has gone further.

The HAL Neptune suites do not offer what, to me, is the best advantage of the Cunard Grills: a private restaurant with assigned seating but only one sitting with flexible times at all three meals. On our recent HAL cruise we were able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (the extra-charge restaurant open to all at dinner and some lunches.) On HAL, dinner in the main dining room is either open seating downstairs or fixed two sittings on the upper level. We found dinner to be generally good, but not as good as Britannia on Cunard.

The main dining room on HAL is often closed for lunch. For several reasons we avoid lidos except when desperate. Fortunately the Neptune Lounge has an excellent variety of "goodies" all day and this was enjoyable for a light lunch. When we did have lunch in the dining room we found the quality of food to range from poor to barely acceptable. Even the "Mariners Brunch" for loyalty club members was poor - but we did enjoy receiving the souvenir tile.

Then there is the subject of dress code. As many have mentioned, Cunard has dumbed down over the last 10 years, but HAL has gone further.

Excellent point. (I must confess that, although I've head the pleasure of QG accommodations on the QE2, I've not experienced Neptune Class on HAL) - Perhaps the (likely renamed) Pinnacle Grill could be opened for lunch for Neptune Class, and standing table reservations would be offered for those pax - either for all meals or dinner only per the passenger preference.

As for as formal dress, I must confess I think it's a lost battle. And I'm actually switching sides. (Spoken by someone who did a canal transit on the QE2 for 11 nights, in which, due to some mix & match with my partner, I never repeated a dinner jacket and accessory pairing.) Clearly the formal environment is part of the Cunard experience. However, I'd expect that the non-formal evenings would become "country club casual" (collared shirt, no jeans). As the rest of the world becomes more casual, opportunities for dressier clothes are rarer - and with increasing charges for and limitations in luggage, it's harder to convince people to pack one, not to mention a SECOND jacket or suit. Personally, I'd love to just pack my wrinkle-resistant blue blazer and khakis, grey flannel pants, a few ties and a bunch of shirts.

Yes, Cunard should retain its formal evenings as part of its heritage, However, this is likely to continue to "devolve" into a looser definition of dressy. Clutch your pearls, gnash your teeth, but it's happening. most people DO enjoy dressing up for a special occasion - but in many cases that's putting a jacket and tie together. That's OK. It's the celebratory spirit that makes the event. (And it's still reasonable to require such things as "jacket and tie requested, collared shirt required, t-shirts and shorts forbidden.)