Skagway Car Rental- timing question

hockeyucf

Did the drive May 25th. The drive to Dyea is pretty. Worth the drive. There was a lot of road construction but the dirt/gravel road wasn't bad and we didn't have to wait. At Dyea we hiked around for an hour, but all there is to see is a bunch of boards on the ground (collapsed warehouse), and a false front (wall) of a small building. Whoopee! If you want to see this exciting tourist attraction for yourself, after walking across the wooden bridge, take a right toward the warehouse first. The false front is a little past the warehouse. The left route is a longer walk.

We then drove past the Dyea parking lot, several hundred feet later there was a bunch of cars parked, some kind of ranch to the right. Heard barking dogs. Didn't see a sign so we drove past onto the tidal flats for a ways before the road got very muddy and I figured out it would not be good getting stuck and the tide come in! :eek: Turned around and going back saw a sign (facing the direction I was headed) 'no vehicles'. Oh well. I wouldn't recommend going past the Dyea parking lot.

Also, on the drive to Emerald Lake just past the Canadian customs area there is about 10 miles of road construction. Muddy and loose gravel, a little slippery. Not on a mountainous section of road fortunately.

There are many pullouts to get out and take pictures.

Our trip took maybe 6 hours, taking many stops. It was worth it. Didn't see a bear, but talked to several others who spotted them on the side of the road.

BTW, interesting thought I had. If you forget to take your identification, you drive to the Canadian customs. They don't allow you in and you have to U-turn. 10 or so miles later you return to the US border checkpoint. Will they let you back in (no ID), or are you ping-ponging in no-mans land? Don't forget your ID's!!! :D

BTW, interesting thought I had. If you forget to take your identification, you drive to the Canadian customs. They don't allow you in and you have to U-turn. 10 or so miles later you return to the US border checkpoint. Will they let you back in (no ID), or are you ping-ponging in no-mans land? Don't forget your ID's!!! :D

skibozo:

First, thanks for sharing your trip and a second thanks for the laugh I got after reading the above. I wonder if anyone ever did forget ID's!!!

If I'm reading the posts properly you don't pass Dyea on the way to Emerald Lake. They are in different directions. If that's the case then we'll do the lake first to make sure we have enough time as we're allowing 5 hrs for that and an hour upon returning to shop in town before we return the car and head back to the ship.

Is there parking in town or are we better off returning the car first and walking around?

skibozo:

First, thanks for sharing your trip and a second thanks for the laugh I got after reading the above. I wonder if anyone ever did forget ID's!!!

If I'm reading the posts properly you don't pass Dyea on the way to Emerald Lake. They are in different directions. If that's the case then we'll do the lake first to make sure we have enough time as we're allowing 5 hrs for that and an hour upon returning to shop in town before we return the car and head back to the ship.

Is there parking in town or are we better off returning the car first and walking around?

Correct, you do not pass Dyea from the Klondike Highway, it is a 9+mile dead end gravel road. There is parking in town, you may have to walk a few blocks.

Yes, I called back this morning and changed our request to a Camry and we decided to return the car prior to checking out the town. Figured since it's small like you and others mentioned why wait and have to deal with it later. After all, I may get so wrapped up in shopping I'll forget to save time to return the car before boarding!!! :D

Archived