Explorer Always in Jersey?

There are rumors that she will be swapped out next year when she goes to dry dock.

Tell them the best part, it is being rumored she will be replaced by one of the Sunshine ships. I do think Snooki started that rumor though.:D

I was hoping this wasn't true...It's so easy for us...

Oh well.

Don't worry. If Explorer leaves it most definitely will be replaced with another ship and there is a good chance it will be a brand new ship. There is too much competition in the NY/NJ area cruise wise and with NCL putting it's new Breakaway ship there I think Royal will want to compete on even terms with the first Project Sunshine ship whatever it is called of the Seas.:)

We took a cruise out of Cape Liberty this fall to Bermuda....we are totally enamored with not having to fly and pay those big prices for airfare!!! Even though we had a 12 hour drive from MI, it took us through the Poconos in prime color season and we had dinner at a really great brewpub along the way. I hope RCI always keeps multiple ships on the East Coast...I am so glad to hear that Explorer will be replaced....even better that it will be a new ship!!

Lets just hope a ship does stay there. The NY-NJ Port Authority owns the piers and leases the space to the cruise lines. There was/is a rumor that the Port Authority is not going to renew its lease with the cruise lines so they could explore (pun intended) commercial development.

This doesn't surprise me as the RC presence on this site seems so temporary with their big white tent, and driving past, by and around the abandon military barracks and warehouses.

You can still see parts of a very large railroad infrastructure here also, if the railroads do ever get their "rebirth" in the US, this pier will be very attractive for commercial dockage.

Lets just hope a ship does stay there. The NY-NJ Port Authority owns the piers and leases the space to the cruise lines. There was/is a rumor that the Port Authority is not going to renew its lease with the cruise lines so they could explore (pun intended) commercial development.

This doesn't surprise me as the RC presence on this site seems so temporary with their big white tent, and driving past, by and around the abandon military barracks and warehouses.

You can still see parts of a very large railroad infrastructure here also, if the railroads do ever get their "rebirth" in the US, this pier will be very attractive for commercial dockage.

Royal Caribbean will be at Cape Liberty for a long time to come:

Partners at The Peninsula

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines LLC: In December 2003, the BLRA entered into an agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd. to operate a cruise port at The Peninsula. Royal Caribbean renovated Building 14, a 120,000 square-foot former Army warehouse, into a state of the art cruise terminal facility and completed berth repairs to accommodate the world class ships. Cape Liberty Cruise Port officially opened at The Peninsula on May 14, 2004 and marked the first time a passenger ship vessel had sailed from New Jersey in almost 40 years. In 2006, the BLRA entered into a 35-year lease agreement with Royal Caribbean. Currently in its sixth season of operation, Cape Liberty has been one of the nation’s busiest cruise ports and currently operates year round cruises. www.cruiseliberty.com

http://www.bayonnelra.com/glance.htm

I think its safe to say it would be a huge shock at this point if EOS wasn't replaced at the end of 2014 by a newer and larger ship... NCL sending Breakaway to NYC probably sealed the deal if it wasn't sealed already. I'm Diamond on RCI and have never sailed NCL before but would sail Breakaway without a doubt over the Explorer.

Also worth noting that Carnival is moving some size and newer tonnage to NYC, replacing Miracle with Splendor.

Royal Caribbean will be at Cape Liberty for a long time to come:

Partners at The Peninsula

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines LLC: Royal Caribbean renovated Building 14, a 120,000 square-foot former Army warehouse, into a state of the art cruise terminal facility and completed berth repairs to accommodate the world class ships. www.cruiseliberty.com

http://www.bayonnelra.com/glance.htm

A tent and bus is hardly a state of the art facility.

We were on the Explorer the week of December 13th and at the past passenger party Captain Henrik Loy said that the new Sunshine class ship would definitely be sailing from Bayonne.

So I would say it's more than a rumor if he claimed it as a definite fact. Not that things couldn't change between now and then, but it seems as if it's a pretty done deal if he made the announcement.

We were on the Explorer the week of December 13th and at the past passenger party Captain Henrik Loy said that the new Sunshine class ship would definitely be sailing from Bayonne.

So I would say it's more than a rumor if he claimed it as a definite fact. Not that things couldn't change between now and then, but it seems as if it's a pretty done deal if he made the announcement.

This may be a rare case where a ship's Captain's prediction is accurate but in the past their record for accuracy has hardly been exemplary. IMO, ship's captains should stick to their primary duties and leave the predictions to those really in the know - waiters, room stewards, and bartenders.:D

I think its safe to say it would be a huge shock at this point if EOS wasn't replaced at the end of 2014 by a newer and larger ship... NCL sending Breakaway to NYC probably sealed the deal if it wasn't sealed already. I'm Diamond on RCI and have never sailed NCL before but would sail Breakaway without a doubt over the Explorer...
Does anyone know if NCL Breakaway will have a covered pool? I looked at the NCL site and couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it. It seems that a ship that winters out of New York really should have an enclosed pool. If Sunshine is being built to come to NY [and the arguments are pretty convincing], it seems like RCI would be remiss to not have an indoor pool - and calling a roofless area a solarium does not count.

Thom

A tent and bus is hardly a state of the art facility.

LOL. I haven't been to Bayonne since 2009, but it certainly wasn't "state of the art" back then.

Looking forward to going back this year and checking it out AND going into the new World Trade Center tower.

This may be a rare case where a ship's Captain's prediction is accurate but in the past their record for accuracy has hardly been exemplary. IMO, ship's captains should stick to their primary duties and leave the predictions to those really in the know - waiters, room stewards, and bartenders.:D

don't forget laundry dude.

Does anyone know if NCL Breakaway will have a covered pool? I looked at the NCL site and couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it. It seems that a ship that winters out of New York really should have an enclosed pool. If Sunshine is being built to come to NY [and the arguments are pretty convincing], it seems like RCI would be remiss to not have an indoor pool - and calling a roofless area a solarium does not count.

Thom

maybe the cover was on.

Well, Adam Goldstein is playing it close to the vest in his latest blog response. The writer asked if the Explorer would be replaced by a Project Sunshine ship and this was Adam's response:

Hi Sandra, at this time we do not have plans to move Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey. However, in our commitment to adding favorite features of our Oasis-class ships to our entire fleet, Explorer of the Seas will undergo significant enhancements during our 2014-2015 Revitalization Schedule.

So who knows. RCI is keeping things quiet for now.

Eric

don't forget laundry dude.

And don't forget us CruiseCritic prognosticator's that get the info from the captains, waiters, bartenders, and laundry folks and present it here to be speculated on by so many.....:D

Well, Adam Goldstein is playing it close to the vest in his latest blog response. The writer asked if the Explorer would be replaced by a Project Sunshine ship and this was Adam's response:

So who knows. RCI is keeping things quiet for now.

Eric

All very good points, but I think his response is to try and keep the cracks in the dike from springing leaks all over the place.

All very good points, but I think his response is to try and keep the cracks in the dike from springing leaks all over the place.

I agree with your assessment completely. I firmly believe there will be a Project Sunshine ship in Bayonne. Yes, I have heard it from two captains, etc., but I will not be sure until it is officially announced. I can still believe...;)

I'm just impressed with how hard a line RCI is taking against leaks. Those architectural model photos were interesting and were swept away quickly, adding to the mystery. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Eric

Archived