Small ship cruise?

torchroadster

Looking for recommendations on an AFFORDABLE small ship cruise in southeast Alaska for summer 2013. This will be our 5th cruise (but never to AK) and 5th trip to Alaska - not looking for the big boat experience, but can't afford $5k per per person either.

We like wilderness, wildlife, local culture, fishing, and doing things on our own....

Thanks in advance.

Alaskan Dream Cruises. There are better small ship experiences out there but they do a very good job with Alaska and are in your price range. They are owned by Allen Marine who has been in Alaska for a long time. There is a thread over at “Other Cruise Lines” that was started in 2011 that is still active.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1363483

The problem might be that with a smaller vessel they have a bit more structure sometimes to their excursions that may not allow all of the time you want on your own.

I agree with Glaciers about small ship cruises in Alaska. Some can be really expensive.

An alternative I've used for decades is to book the cheapest room on a large cruise ship that goes where I want to go (thus having a room, meals & basic transportation covered) and extend my trip on land when I get to Alaska.

Booking small ship day tours can meet some of your needs and desires.

For many ideas on how to do this: check out postings by Frugaltravel and BudgetQueen. As well as many other folks who know their way around Alaska.

For the somewhat more adventurous among us!

http://www.alaskaferryvacations.com/

I kinda like this cruise: http://www.alaskaferryvacations.com/Tours1_8DayGlacierBay.htm

$1,495.00 (per Adult /dbl occ)

$1,439.00 Seniors 65+ (per person/dbl occ)

$2,155.00 Single Person

Includes all Ferries, Lodging, Glacier Bay Cruise &

The White Pass Railroad in Skagway

Also no need to pack formal clothes or worry about seats by the pool...;)

We were early bookers on Admiralty Dream at just over $2100 pp this year. We haven't gone yet, so I can't tell you anything about the experience, but you might think about that for next year. Of course, our flights cost us another $1K pp!

http://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/itineraries-pricing/2013-8-day/

We considered Inner Sea, but we aren't that active outdoors usually, so went with Alaskan Dream instead. It might be a better fit for you though.

Sorry, for some reason, CC is blocking this url, but you can google InnerSea Cruises Alaska and their 8 day Glacier Bay is under $3K for some dates and cabins.

We did one with American Safari in 2010, although it looks like they’re rebranding themselves as InnerSea Discoveries, and they are much more active. They have kayaks onboard that we were able to use almost daily. There were 2 naturalists that would take us out whale watching in Zodiac type skiffs. Overnights were many times in secluded coves. They are much more about the remote adventure rather than the port, although they do make their port calls. At the time we were also allowed to overnight in Glacier Bay. It was exceptional.

How about Oceania Cruises which only has 684 passengers - luxury without being all-inclusive, prices starting around $2K. It may be more of a medium-ship cruise when compared to American Safari & Alaska Dream cruises though.

We did one with American Safari in 2010, although it looks like they’re rebranding themselves as InnerSea Discoveries, and they are much more active.

They just, a couple days ago, renamed themselves "Un-Cruise Adventures"! :-)

Crystal Cruises has only 1 sailing of a 5 day Alaska cruise in late May

I guess you ruled out Regent Seven Seas, Lindblad (National Geographic) & Silversea because of the cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We are considering an 11day June 2013 sailing on Alaskan Dreams, It just fits into our budget with the early discount. However, I'm a little concerned with a few comments about the activity level....are most of the 'sailors' older? We are pretty active in our 50's and I'm not expecting kids, but thought it would be a pretty adventuresome crowd...

Archived