How much time for the Vatican & St.Peter's

Biz64

Going to Rome in may on a cruise and trying to figure out how long it would take to go through the Vatican Museum and then see St. Peter's basilica. We are mainly interested in seeing the Sistine Chapel as far as the museum goes, and we are planning on trying the short cut to the basilica from the Sistine Chapel. We are not using any guides and will buy tickets ahead of time. So, whattya guys think...can we do it an about 2-2.5 hours? Oh, we would also like to climb to the top at the basilica :)

From the front door of the museums to the Sistine Chapel, even at a trot, is going to eat up 45 minutes or so, depending on the crowds. So, even if all you did was jog to the Sistine Chapel and spend 15 minutes there, it's an hour.

Another 30 minutes for the basilica (it's big), assuming you can take the short cut from the Sistine Chapel.

Climbing the cupola is a big unknown. There can be a long line to even enter, so there's time there. Once you're through the wait for the elevator, your pace on the steps depends on the folks in front of you. Also, once you're in the cupola itself and climbing, there's no option to turn around. Therefore, on a port day, I'm not sure I'd chance this unless you do it first thing in the morning.

You can do it all in as short as 2-3 hours if you really push through. We usually spend a whole day there. You don't say if this is a single day port stop or a pre or post cruise part of a day, that can make a difference. It sounds like it might be a single day port stop. If that is the case, what else do you plan on seeing while in Rome? If this is one of your must sees, get the timed entry tickets from the Vatican.va site to help avoid lines and if you want to try the shortcut to the Basilica do NOT rent the audio guide or carry anything large that will have to be checked in, the audio guide has to be returned close to the museum entrance. If you want to climb the stairs as well to the top of the Basilica, that can take an hour or more depending on the crowds wanting to do the same the day you are there.

Thanks for the help so far. Yes this will be a port stop. Ship will be in port from 7am to 9pm. We would also like to see the colosseum/forum and then devote the remaining time to the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona depending on time. We are probably doing the Smart Cruise Tours private tour with some other people. On their site it says 2-3 hours for the Vatican/ST. Peter's and about 1-2 hours for Colosseum/Forum. Just wanted to see how accurate that is and if its doable. I did see someone who did it on their own and saw all of the places I mentioned (VirtualRain), however I didn't see how long he took at the Vatican/ST.Peter's, so just wanted to ask people who have been there:)

I did see someone who did it on their own and saw all of the places I mentioned (VirtualRain), however I didn't see how long he took at the Vatican/ST.Peter's, so just wanted to ask people who have been there:)

This is what I said recently in response to the same question in my thread...

It's totally doable. Is that enough time to see it properly? If you're museum lovers... definitely not. However, if you just want to see some of the highlights, then absolutely you can do it in 2hrs.

On our first visit (documented in the original post), 2 hrs is about the time we spent on the Vatican grounds including the museum (the hall of maps is something else), Sistine chapel, the cupola at the top of St. Peter's and the main halls of St. Peter's. It was a good amount of time to see the highlights and get a feel for what it's all about.

Since we're not museum types, we probably won't go back to the Vatican museum. However, when we went back to Rome again this year, we did visit St. Peter's again, and spent a bit more time soaking in the devine atmosphere.

If you're museum lovers, you will want to spend more time but honestly, I would not recommend you try to do it during the day on any regular day. The only way to do it right in my opinion would be to catch it on a slow day, if there is such a thing, or perhaps first thing in the morning, or after hours. The rest of the time, you'll be packed in like cattle, and you will not enjoy the experience to the fullest. All I could think of after 30 minutes of being jostled around was "how do I get out of this place?!" They simply let way too many people in at one time. It's hard to appreciate ancient art and antiquities when you're fighting for room like on the floor of a rock concert. It's really not enjoyable and if you are a true museum buff then it would be even more grating to have to navigate the volume of people there.

• 1 month later...

We would give it 2.5 - 3 hours to visit the Vatican (Museum, Sistine Chapel and Basilica). Less than that and you would be rushing through and not properly see the important things....of course, to REALLY see the Vatican, you can spend a whole day there!

Thanks for the help so far. Yes this will be a port stop. Ship will be in port from 7am to 9pm. We would also like to see the colosseum/forum and then devote the remaining time to the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona depending on time. We are probably doing the Smart Cruise Tours private tour with some other people. On their site it says 2-3 hours for the Vatican/ST. Peter's and about 1-2 hours for Colosseum/Forum. Just wanted to see how accurate that is and if its doable. I did see someone who did it on their own and saw all of the places I mentioned (VirtualRain), however I didn't see how long he took at the Vatican/ST.Peter's, so just wanted to ask people who have been there:)

Hello. We will be (3 of us) in Rome for a day tour from the port as well in May. Is the private tour with Smart Cruise still available. I understand they have an itinerary and this it only includes St. Peter's Basilica and a stay of about 1 1/2 hours there. No mention of the Vatican Museum. We are also interested in visiting the Sistine Chapel, can we do this along with doing the rest of the tour? What type of Smart Cruise tour is this package?

Hello. We will be (3 of us) in Rome for a day tour from the port as well in May. Is the private tour with Smart Cruise still available. I understand they have an itinerary and this it only includes St. Peter's Basilica and a stay of about 1 1/2 hours there. No mention of the Vatican Museum. We are also interested in visiting the Sistine Chapel, can we do this along with doing the rest of the tour? What type of Smart Cruise tour is this package?

If you contact them they can tailor a tour to your needs. The pre set tours on the website include either the colosseum or the vatican, but you can do both if you want and change some of the other stops. This is a private tour that you set up with your own driver and usually in groups of 2-8 people, the more people the cheaper. Our tour was set up by one of our roll call members, and we are paying a little extra to extend the tour a couple of hours.

You must be bursting with energy. Did you say you are doing this yourself? We used that short cut in the Sistene Chapel and it was neat, but I understand that there are times that you would not be allowed through that door. If not, you would have to get in another long line and go through security again. I would do the Vatican first and then prioritize other sites based on your interest and where they are located. BTW- a lot of people are underwhelmed with Trevi and the Spanish steps. How are you planning on getting around if you do this yourself? I think if you can afford it, a guide who provides transportation is best. Rome is not that easy to navigate as some streets don't have signs. You don't know you are on a specific street sometimes until you see a hotel or building with the name of the street. Most signs are on the sides of buildings, but some don't have them.

May should be a lovely month!

Going to Rome in may on a cruise and trying to figure out how long it would take to go through the Vatican Museum and then see St. Peter's basilica. We are mainly interested in seeing the Sistine Chapel as far as the museum goes, and we are planning on trying the short cut to the basilica from the Sistine Chapel. We are not using any guides and will buy tickets ahead of time. So, whattya guys think...can we do it an about 2-2.5 hours? Oh, we would also like to climb to the top at the basilica :)

I think others have answered pretty well...but I would say that you should probably plan to SKIP the climb. When I've been, the line is always long. I'd spend more time taking in the interior. It's breathtaking and doesn't deserve to be rushed. Yes, you can zip through in 30 minutes, but that will only leave you wishing you could come back.

As far as the other things you're looking to do: in my opinion, you can skip the Spanish Steps. They really are more for relaxing and people watching...nothing too amazing to look at. This will save you another 10 minutes, plus the time to get there. And if you really get tight, you COULD skip Piazza Navona, although it's worth 5 minutes to see Bernini's fountain if you can swing in. Pantheon, Coliseum, Trevi...yes, see those.

Just my opinion.

Archived