Epic Cabin Location

SuperTrooper00

I have been reading tons of threads on here about the Epic (is it just me or does the Epic have more threads than all other ships combined?). And I have found several that talk about cabin location, but have a couple of more questions.

My wife and I usually prefer the aft of the ship for our cruises. I have read about some complaining about the vibration, but I do not think that would bother us much (hope I am not under-estimating that). I cannot even tell you all of the reasons why we prefer the aft, but we just do.

Mostly, we love being not far from the stairs. I really do not enjoy walking miles down cabin hallways (and from what I have read the Epic has even narrower halls), so we have always been able to run up or down stairs to get to the deck we want.

I have spent a decent amount of time looking at the deck plans, and it seems we are most likely to be toward the back of the ship anyways (we are not buffet people) for the dining room, Spice H20, and FatCats. The Epic theater is in the front (as well as a couple of other things we would use), but it seems even for us as far as usage.

Is there anything we should account for that we are not? When in port (or tender), is the gangway located in the middle of the ship? Just hoping to make sure we have not missed anything in reading the boards to help us make our decision.

We have also been reading up on the Epic for our December cruise. There seems to be a ton of information on this board. Not sure if you are considering an aft balcony or an aft facing balcony. We are booked into an aft facing ( our first ) on deck 11, the last cabin on Starboard side. One thing you may not be aware of re the aft facing is that the last cabin aft and port on decks 8,9,10 and 11 have slightly wider balconies. And, there is a secret staircase aft and port on each deck which you are allowed to access. Essentially, they are right next to each of these cabins. If you look at a deck plan, the stairs are located on the "white" areas on the sides of each deck. Not sure though, if for instance, you were in an aft facing on deck 8, you could take those stairs DOWN to deck 7 Cagneys, and deck 6 Manhattan, or only go UP. Perhaps someone who has stayed in an aft facing can clarify.

If you consider a non aft facing balcony, you might want to review the threads covering the "hull" and "exposed" balconies if you haven't already.

Stern cabins have noticable vibration and shuddering when ship leaves port and pulls into port. This is not felt on other ships, just the Epic.

I know not all of the NCL ships do not vibrate, but none of them do? I thought for sure some of the others used azepoids (or whatever they are called)?

I know not all of the NCL ships do not vibrate, but none of them do? I thought for sure some of the others used azepoids (or whatever they are called)?

The Epic is a larger ship that is deeper in the water. It also has traditional propeller shafts. Because going in and out of port by definition is sailing in shallower water, there is a "bounce back" effect from the sea floor that causes much of the shuddering that you have read about. The traditional shafts require the propulsion to only be in one direction, so there is more turning of the rudders and forward/reverse action required to spin the ship around than with the "steerable" azipods. All of this mean that the Epic will have more vibration when maneuvering in and out of port.

That being said, this probably accounts for a very small portion of your time on the ship. Unfortunately, you often come in to port in the early morning hours when many of us are trying to sleep.

Thanks for the info. How far forward on the ship would you feel the vibration? I have read those in aft-facing cabins feel it, but am curious how far forward that goes.

We've been on Epic 3 times. The first time we were in the stern cabin - never again. We didn't need an alarm clock - the shuddering woke us up. And it wasn't fun waking up at 5am as ship entered the Port of Miami to turn around in the basin to dock! Twice - as we were on the B2B!

The 2nd and 3rd times we were in a cabin close to the forward elevators - felt nothing at all. Same bank of elevators that go up to Garden Cafe (which itself is excellent).

If you insist of getting a cabin in the aft area, suggest you get one closer to the aft elevators than to the stern cabins. You'll be fine.

If you insist of getting a cabin in the aft area, suggest you get one closer to the aft elevators than to the stern cabins. You'll be fine.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to know and hear. If, for instance, we had a cabin that was 4 or 5 doors aft of the aft elevators, would we be fine? This is the location we almost always stay in on any ship (for numerous reasons), and reading about the vibrations had scared me off.

We'll be staying in an aft balcony on our upcoming Epic cruise. I don't have information to give you now, but will make sure to post my experience upon return. 79 days..

How far aft will you be? I have read you feel the vibration aft, I just don't know how far aft it is an issue.

you will feel the vibrations in the rear 1/4 of the ship, but the further forward, the less vibrations. Also the higher you go, the less you feel it. However, if you're up on 12 or 13 aft you might get some noise from the parties at Spice H20 during the evenings.

We were in 14022 and loved it. Just forward of the front stairs and elevators with easy access. I know you prefer aft, but just sayin :)

I guess it is me, but I never noticed any vibration on the Epic. Having an Aft cabin(s) (decks 11 & 13, if I recall, if you need cabin numbers, look at the end cabins on the port side) Maybe because I'm up and out the door getting ready to either go to breakfast or get off at the port. While you are cruising, I think you view is great. Same with some of the ports, you can sit on your balcony and people watch.

Glenn

I have been reading tons of threads on here about the Epic (is it just me or does the Epic have more threads than all other ships combined?). And I have found several that talk about cabin location, but have a couple of more questions.

My wife and I usually prefer the aft of the ship for our cruises. I have read about some complaining about the vibration, but I do not think that would bother us much (hope I am not under-estimating that). I cannot even tell you all of the reasons why we prefer the aft, but we just do.

Mostly, we love being not far from the stairs. I really do not enjoy walking miles down cabin hallways (and from what I have read the Epic has even narrower halls), so we have always been able to run up or down stairs to get to the deck we want.

I have spent a decent amount of time looking at the deck plans, and it seems we are most likely to be toward the back of the ship anyways (we are not buffet people) for the dining room, Spice H20, and FatCats. The Epic theater is in the front (as well as a couple of other things we would use), but it seems even for us as far as usage.

Is there anything we should account for that we are not? When in port (or tender), is the gangway located in the middle of the ship? Just hoping to make sure we have not missed anything in reading the boards to help us make our decision.

One thing you may not be aware of re the aft facing is that the last cabin aft and port on decks 8,9,10 and 11 have slightly wider balconies. And, there is a secret staircase aft and port on each deck which you are allowed to access. Essentially, they are right next to each of these cabins. If you look at a deck plan, the stairs are located on the "white" areas on the sides of each deck. Not sure though, if for instance, you were in an aft facing on deck 8, you could take those stairs DOWN to deck 7 Cagneys, and deck 6 Manhattan, or only go UP. Perhaps someone who has stayed in an aft facing can clarify.

I don't really think the corner is any bigger. It looks like it because of the white corner that is the side stairs. I had a corner aft, room 12310 and I looked at our neighbors balcony and it looked just the same.

It was nice to have one side with no neighbor and we could go to the secret stairs to take great pictures. We only went up and down one floor so I can't say how far down or up you can go.

The Aft is near a bank of elevators and stairs so it's easy to get to places. We mostly took the stairs because the elvators after the shows were packed!

I think more than anything else we are creatures of habit. We have cruised a couple of times in other places and it just felt "odd" to us. Every ship is different, but we have always cruised a little aft of the aft elevators, and it has always worked out great for us. A little jog down to the dining room, and a little jog up to the pool deck. We have always loved that. On some ships, it was a double winner because some have the buffet in the aft as well.

The Epic is a larger ship that is deeper in the water. It also has traditional propeller shafts. Because going in and out of port by definition is sailing in shallower water, there is a "bounce back" effect from the sea floor that causes much of the shuddering that you have read about. The traditional shafts require the propulsion to only be in one direction, so there is more turning of the rudders and forward/reverse action required to spin the ship around than with the "steerable" azipods. All of this mean that the Epic will have more vibration when maneuvering in and out of port.

That being said, this probably accounts for a very small portion of your time on the ship. Unfortunately, you often come in to port in the early morning hours when many of us are trying to sleep.

The draft of the Epic is only about 18 inches more than the Jewel class ships. While it's larger, it's also wider and designed in a way that it can displace all the water it needs with very little difference in the draft.

I think most of the vibration is due to the combination of the main props used in conjunction with the side thrusters. Cavitation occurs for several reasons, but it gets more severe when air is introduced. The side thrusters pushing turbulent, aerated water back across the path of the main screws could cause severe vibration, and even damage to those props. The Epic uses giant props to push this beast, and as stated, they are in a fixed position. The side thrusters plus variation in prop speed are used to maneuver. This "mix" is what causes the vibrations, which you're generally not going to get with an azipod-equipped ship like the jewel class, etc.

I think the Breakaway uses Azipods, but I'm not sure. I think I read that NCL abandoned the Epic propulsion design for the newer ships.

Epic prop

3727317734_041c224556.jpg

7.jpg

Azipods on the Queen Mary 2 (these rotate 360 degrees)

qm2pods4.jpg

Archived