Where is food served when you 1st board the ship? Main dining room?

ericstacie

We went to our first Mariner's lunch last year. It was fun meeting some of our fellow cruisers and made the rest of the cruise nice when we saw a "familiar" face. The menu was limited for sure but I think there was something for just about everyone.

I was struck by one waiter who looked like he was trying not to cry the ENTIRE lunch. I think it struck me more because it was so unusual when we have always had smiling, cheerful staff everywhere. I wanted to hug him!! We had him for breakfast a few days later and he was happy, smiling and FUNNY as heck. Bad day, I guess.

We'll do the MDR again if it is available, it's just a nice relaxing way to kick off our vacation AND for us, away from the madness in the Lido that first day.

Remember when there was prime rib at that first Lido lunch?

Yes, I always looked forward to that for my first meal aboard. I knew I was "home".

The steamship round that's served now is not at all the same. For one thing, it's tough.

Sad to say, there's appears to be a huge disconnect between HAL Seattle and what actually happens on the fleet. Those of us who have sailed often on HAL know to take what Seattle says with "a grain of salt". Seattle seems to "shoot from the hip" when they really don't have the correct answer to a question. Most likely, you will get better answers here on Cruise Critic. From experienced HAL cruisers.

Very well put, Sheila. ;):)

We usually choose to eat in the MDR on embarkation day, as we can be shown to an accessible table.

Another benefit is that DH and I can dine together. Not always possible in the Lido, when I have to get him situated, pick up his lunch, then go fetch my own.

Too often we have made the rounds of the Lido to find no tables available and such chaos - it is difficult for him to maneuver.

There's plenty of time after lunch to people-watch and roam around.

Archived