to buy beverage package or not???

bluewater63

Yes...and no

Celeb will post what day is the last day to purchase ...usually 2-3 days in

That may well be true for a 7 days or shorter cruise but it is normally around 3 days from the end of the longer cruises (i.e day 11 on a 14 day cruise).:D

I don't think he 'drank' the money's worth of the package. However, I am getting it for both of us again because of its convenience...and I am a worry wart and I don't want to be on vacation..

The above is exactly why I buy a premium non alcohol package for each cruise.

I don't want to worry about being double charged.

I don't want to sign and carry little slips around.

I don't want to worry about drinking a watered down drink because it cost me extra, I want to order another one instead.

For me - I DONT drink enough to make up the money - but for me, the convenience and worry factor more than pay for the package.

Thanks to GeorgiaPeach51, ThursdaysChild, & MicCanberra for the replies to my question about paying extra with classic package: you were unanimous in supporting my recollection that it wasn't possible. In addition, I learned from you that it is possible to use the deluxe package to pay down drinks above $12. That clinches it for me.

On the 123 offer, the drink package is a no-brainer for me: in the past, my only objection to buying the package was that I might over drink trying to get my money's worth, but with it being a freebie (plus the small deluxe up charge), I can drink moderately and well without worrying about "my money's worth."

Rich :D

Silverpearl

I wish to commend you for an excellent rounding out that highlights the issue to me as a Brit. I want to get value for money and as the package is free, I can drink normally and not worry.

I always try to go for a package deal as I like the "All Inclusive" element of a holiday and the more I can pay upfront the happier I am as it is then a known rather than unknown cost.

I will also upgrade from the Classic to the Premium for sure as the Molecular bar drinks look awesome.

Mike

Thanks to GeorgiaPeach51, ThursdaysChild, & MicCanberra for the replies to my question about paying extra with classic package: you were unanimous in supporting my recollection that it wasn't possible. In addition, I learned from you that it is possible to use the deluxe package to pay down drinks above $12. That clinches it for me.

On the 123 offer, the drink package is a no-brainer for me: in the past, my only objection to buying the package was that I might over drink trying to get my money's worth, but with it being a freebie (plus the small deluxe up charge), I can drink moderately and well without worrying about "my money's worth."

Rich :D

Enjoy:D

Silverpearl

I wish to commend you for an excellent rounding out that highlights the issue to me as a Brit. I want to get value for money and as the package is free, I can drink normally and not worry.

I always try to go for a package deal as I like the "All Inclusive" element of a holiday and the more I can pay upfront the happier I am as it is then a known rather than unknown cost.

I will also upgrade from the Classic to the Premium for sure as the Molecular bar drinks look awesome.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. The Molecular Bar drinks ARE awesome. A couple of notes:

1. Get a seat at the bar if you can, as opposed to one of the surrounding tables. That way, you can watch your drink being made, which is quite interesting. Also, the bartenders I've had at the MB cheerfully will build you a new drink if the one you order is not to your liking. This was true even when I didn't have the drink package.

2. On the Eclipse and the Equinox,I never saw a sign stating "Molecular Bar." It is not hard to find: Just look for the V-shaped bar on deck 5 port side before you get to the lounge that leads to the specialty restaurant area. It's in the same area as the coffee and pastry place (el Bacio?). The sign might say Galleria Tastings. If I have more than one drink there, my awareness of the surroundings is greatly diminished, so if in doubt, ask a crew member. :D

Rich

But the other perk to a drink package is not signing the slips with every drink order.

But many of us don't anyhow. Most bartenders will run a tab, so one only signs once at the end of the evening, or afternoon, or day or whatever. Not a big deal since even with a package they usually swipe your card once. (How long does it take to sign a slip anyhow?) I don't really understand the convenience argument but if it matters to you, go for it.

I wonder if the disconnect is that people will consume more drinks if they have a package than if they don't. Celebrity wins because there is more revenue, but the passanger feels that they won because when they add up what they consumed they paid less with the package than they would have out of pocket. I had the non-alcoholic premium package on a trip and I know I went to the coffee bar everyday because a) I could and b) i felt like I wanted to get my money's worth. On a normal trip maybe I would go every other day. I am personally going back and forth now on this 1,3,3 deal because on paper the drinks package is worth a lot of money, but versus my normal consumption I am not so sure.

We are mainly convenience and personal 'fit'

We buy the wine package at the table and then the premium pack for DH to cover all his beer and speciality coffee.

I mainly drink water during the day so for me we buy a martini before dinner treat and then the wine this way works best for us.

I sometimes fill the mini bar for G&T in the room.

It sounds like we are heavy drinkers but to be honest we just like to order what we want when we want on holiday without thinking about the bill at the end - we budget up front so when we leave home everything is covered.

I have a question too. I see bottled water is covered with the drink package. If you're leaving the ship for a shore excursion, do they hand out bottled water before you leave? I know on Azamara, everyone was offered bottled water when they left the ship.

You can get water to prurchase when leaving the ship for an excursion, obvoiusly free with a package.:D

If your primary interest is wine with dinner then you should be aware that the packages only include wine sold by the glass. Depending on your perspective the selection of wines by the glass might be adequate or poor but it pales in comparison to the great by the bottle wine list on the ships. Also, be aware that if you buy a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it the sommelier will store it for the next evening for you. There is a representative wine list in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32406318

The beverage packages are expensive. They are priced above average and therefore are best for those cruisers who know they will consume above average quantities of the included beverages or those who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience.

My recommendation for anyone unsure if the packages are right for them is to NOT buy the packages before your cruise. Instead start out the cruise on a pay as you go basis and check out the selection on board and your own consumption on board. Then if you feel the packages are right for you a package can be purchased on board for the remaining nights of the cruise at a prorated price. Celebrity's FAQ indicates that you can buy the package on board until there are two remaining nights although I don't know if this means if you can buy it when there are two remaining nights or if the day before that would be the last day of sales.

But many of us don't anyhow. Most bartenders will run a tab, so one only signs once at the end of the evening, or afternoon, or day or whatever. Not a big deal since even with a package they usually swipe your card once. (How long does it take to sign a slip anyhow?) I don't really understand the convenience argument but if it matters to you, go for it.

I used to poo poo the "benefit" of not having to sign. On our last cruise I bought our first beverage package. And you know what? It was really nice not to have to sign!!

I have a question too. I see bottled water is covered with the drink package. If you're leaving the ship for a shore excursion, do they hand out bottled water before you leave? I know on Azamara, everyone was offered bottled water when they left the ship.

Celebrity sells, but does not give away, bottled water when leaving the ship. The packages do cover this.

If your primary interest is wine with dinner then you should be aware that the packages only include wine sold by the glass. Depending on your perspective the selection of wines by the glass might be adequate or poor but it pales in comparison to the great by the bottle wine list on the ships. Also, be aware that if you buy a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it the sommelier will store it for the next evening for you. There is a representative wine list in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32406318

The beverage packages are expensive. They are priced above average and therefore are best for those cruisers who know they will consume above average quantities of the included beverages or those who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience.

My recommendation for anyone unsure if the packages are right for them is to NOT buy the packages before your cruise. Instead start out the cruise on a pay as you go basis and check out the selection on board and your own consumption on board. Then if you feel the packages are right for you a package can be purchased on board for the remaining nights of the cruise at a prorated price. Celebrity's FAQ indicates that you can buy the package on board until there are two remaining nights although I don't know if this means if you can buy it when there are two remaining nights or if the day before that would be the last day of sales.

I used to poo poo the "benefit" of not having to sign. On our last cruise I bought our first beverage package. And you know what? It was really nice not to have to sign!!

Celebrity sells, but does not give away, bottled water when leaving the ship. The packages do cover this.

Good to know...if we have a package it will be because of the 1 2 3 Go promo.

Still undecided about whether to get a drink package or not. We're thinking of seeing how much we consume once we're on board but don't know if you're allowed to purchase the drink package after you set sail. Also, if you can purchase the drink package after a day or two can you use the OBC for it? Since our cruise is already booked and paid for, we leave in 2 1/2 weeks we were not able to take advantage of the 123 promotion.

Still undecided about whether to get a drink package or not. We're thinking of seeing how much we consume once we're on board but don't know if you're allowed to purchase the drink package after you set sail. Also, if you can purchase the drink package after a day or two can you use the OBC for it? Since our cruise is already booked and paid for, we leave in 2 1/2 weeks we were not able to take advantage of the 123 promotion.

Yes to all your questions!

Actually, my best advice for those who are unsure if a package is right for them is to hold off on buying it. After all the drink packages are expensive since they are priced above the average passenger's expenditure for beverages. Because of this they are best for the passenger who either drinks above average quantities of the included beverages and/or those who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience. So if one is unsure their best bet is to wait until they are on board for a day or two and have a chance to check out the prices and selection as well as their own consumption patterns. If you decide a package would be best for you then you can buy it on board at a prorated price up until the second or third day before the end of your cruise.

I've seen people posting they were able to get the 123 promo with existing reservations. Maybe you can check and see if they will allow it.

Yes to all your questions!

Actually, my best advice for those who are unsure if a package is right for them is to hold off on buying it. After all the drink packages are expensive since they are priced above the average passenger's expenditure for beverages. Because of this they are best for the passenger who either drinks above average quantities of the included beverages and/or those who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience. So if one is unsure their best bet is to wait until they are on board for a day or two and have a chance to check out the prices and selection as well as their own consumption patterns. If you decide a package would be best for you then you can buy it on board at a prorated price up until the second or third day before the end of your cruise.

If we were to buy a Classic NA package from day 1 and then after a few days could we pay the extra to upgrade to a Classic Alcoholic package for the remainder of our cruise.

From what I have read, the answer is "no".

Does the Classic package with the 1-2-3 include specialty coffees?

A better question is what do you consider a specialty coffee?

The package descriptions say that it does not but isn't clear on what a specialty coffee is.

On our last cruise I asked about this and was told that the classic package includes all the coffees on the first 4 pages of the Cafe al Bacio menu but did not include the coffees on page 5 and 6 under the captions "Other Favorites" and "More Favorites". For a copy of the menu CLICK HERE Those items would be covered under the Premium package.

On our last cruise I asked about this and was told that the classic package includes all the coffees on the first 4 pages of the Cafe al Bacio menu but did not include the coffees on page 5 and 6 under the captions "Other Favorites" and "More Favorites". For a copy of the menu CLICK HERE Those items would be covered under the Premium package.

Do you remember if the iced teas listed on page 5, but not under anything captioned "favorites" was included in Classic?

A better question is what do you consider a specialty coffee?

The package descriptions say that it does not but isn't clear on what a specialty coffee is.

Thank you, I'll take a look at the menu. Under the Classics package, it said Premium coffees, and under the Premium, it said Specialty. I may have those backwards. Anyway, I wondered what the difference was, and will go check out the menu to see. ;)

On our last cruise I got the premium non-alcohol and loved it. I like to drink, but being elite found happy hour and a few bottles of wine during dinner and a drink every now and then was all I wanted. The non-alcohol (got it at 10% off last Jan) includes all coffees except alcoholic ones, and I especially loved the non-alcoholic drinks (it was hot thru the canal). Had latte's after dinner, San Peligrino with each meal (large enogh for 2) steamed milk before bed, iced coffeess, water at shore excursions, water in room, et al. Better deal than the alcohol, and just pay for the drinks, especially if you like bottles of wine like I do.

Do you remember if the iced teas listed on page 5, but not under anything captioned "favorites" was included in Classic?

I don't know for sure. My question to the person at the Cafe was specifically about coffee. I'd guess they'd be included in the class package but that is just a guess.

Archived