Using a prepaid phone on board and while in port?

EithneMay

I spoke with an AT&T rep, and was told I can unlock my phone and get an international SIM card so I can keep in touch with my very sick friend while on my 14 day cruise in April. I plan to load the phone with lots of $$ in hope that it is cheaper than using my regular cell-phone plan. Plus, I can keep in touch with work. Anyone tried this and had luck???

Was the ATT person you spoke with a sales rep or a technical assistance rep? I have found most sale reps for any phone company, unless they have personal experience w/ your model phone in a similar circumstance using the same exact plan, they will tell you whatever they believe will work to sell you something. If fact most of the information about traveling by sea I've heard giving on the phone sales floor personal is incorrect. Now most tech assist. will research before they answer you because their job could be on the line if they advise you incorrectly.

Though I can't specifically answer you on ATT's options I can tell you our experience w/ Verizon's international plan for Android platform phones and cruising to the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Canada. We have the most basic one they offer ($25 per month) since the company my husband works for has locations in Canada and Mexico & he calls there from the US frequently. We knew the phone would work fine for calls while in Canada but where surprised at the data charge amount when we received the bill later. First lesson learned turn off the data mode.

Second my phone broke just prior to a cruise to the Bahamas & while being repaired I was given what normally would of equated to a pre-paid phone for use in the mean time. Well it turns in the Bahamas most US sold prepaid phones don't work well with the cell system they have in place.

Last lesson learned was that international contracts w/ mobile companies in other different nations is not equal and an international calling plan does not always help you reduce costs. Even though my husband's plan covers calls originating in Canada and Mexico the same as if he calls within the USA under his free minutes for Bermuda it does not so it would be $0.35 per minute even if there are free minutes available while in port.

BTW prepaid phones will not work on the CellularAtSea system, they need an actual contract account to bill to. My sons girlfriend could not use her MetroPCS phone at all the cruise her family went on last fall.

Archived