Best time for Panama Canal Cruise

GAYLE S

We have done two PC cruises, one in February and one in April. Both were fantastic. Of course it was a bit warmer in April but either one will be great. Both of these cruises were one of our favorites of all 6 cruises we have done.

I did the Panama Canal cruise in February. It was very hot and very humid in Panama (no surprise there). I wouldn't say that there's spectacular "scenery" during a transit; after all, it's pretty much a canal carved out of the jungle. But if you are impressed by technology and the wonder of locks, the tractors, etc., you'll love it.

We've gone through the Canal, twice in Mar., and once in Dec. Always hot and humid down there - you are almost on the Equator.

We thoroughly enjoyed each transit - wonderful engineering, etc. I still think Jimmy Carter made a mistake giving it back - we stole it fair and square!

When is the best time for this 15 day cruise? Weather wise? Price wise ? ---- I know it is different but -- is it as exciting & good scenery as the Alaska Cruise?

Hi Gayle!

Certainly a very different cruise, but we had a great time. It was only a partial transit on the Coral in December and the weather was terrific. We had 2 rough days at sea from the Canal to Grand Cayman that unfortunately caused all the Snorkel and Scuba tours to be cancelled. No Stingray city!

Great variety of experiences - Mayan ruins, terrific wildlife excursions in Belize and Costa Rica, the Canal, Cozumel, and some very relaxing sea days. We would like to go back for a full transit in the future!

You said 15 days... The only 15 dayers are repositioning cruises in late September or late April/early May.. Either are OK.. April/May you go east to west and September you go west to east.

Remember that going through the Canal is Hot Hot and Hotter. I suggest the cooler months of January or Feburary. This is also the dry season so while the tempature may be high you will be more comfortable with less humidity.

I agree that the scenery is not much to brag about ever since they widened the Cut and topped of the surrounding hills. Our first trip through the Canal was back before the U. S. Gave up control and when the Cut was narrower. Beautiful scenery and a stupendous trip on the original Pacific Princess.

I am sure you will enjoy your Canal Passage no matter when you go, but be prepared for some very hot weather and take a high SPF sunscreen.

Stan

When is the best time for this 15 day cruise? Weather wise? Price wise ? ---- I know it is different but -- is it as exciting & good scenery as the Alaska Cruise?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have done the Panama Canal cruise 8 times now. The 15 days Grand Canal Cruise is the one for repositioning. Usually Sept & April. This is where you can get good prices for the cruise. The April one is usually better weather, as in Sept you can run into hurricaine season.

The Panama Canal still amazes me to experience going thru the locks. Consider the technology involved, and how we created this.

Totally different than the Alaska experience.

I highly recommend doing a Canal transit. ;)

My DW and I agonized over where to cruise next (our 3rd) and finally decided on a Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston in Feb 06 (we did the Canada/New England cruise in 2003 and Alaska in 2004).

I really wanted to do the full transit PC cruise but we decided to hold off on that until we retire and can take the extra time - which will be soon :-)

Reading the comments here make me want to push up retirement even more!

i did the 10 day panama last novemeber it was the 1st week i beleive, it was awesome!!!! Weather was great, HOT!!!!! Nice a quiet, no children and the price was right, i got 10-day balcony stateroom for 1,250 on the coral. I hit one of those specials.

Archived