Grand Suite Room Service

ToUtahNow

One of our sons booked my wife and I on our first ever cruise. It is on the Star Princess in the "Grand Suite". This site has given me a wealth of information but I still have some questions.

My understanding is we can order petty much anything that is served in the MDR from room service. Because the Suite has a dining room that seats six plus balcony tables that seat four and seat two, in room dinner meals once or twice might be a good option.

Here is where it gets a little more confusing. Tonight one of my daughters called and told me she and her husband booked a non-suite inside cabin on the same cruise. So the question is, will we be able to invite them to eat in our suite one night? I know we could do the "Ultimate Balcony Dining" which we may also do one night. However, I was hoping to be able to do something less formal one night.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Mark

They won't turn down a reasonable request. Just order what you want, from room service, without a lot of explaining. They are not going to tell passengers in the Grand Suite that they are ordering too much.

In case there are any problems, there is a letter in your room, telling you that if you need anything at all, just call... They provide the numbers for several customer service people. However, I am sure there will be no problem.

Enjoy!

Bon voyage and Bon appetit!

PS - the people who bring the food will be extra nice and gracious, but an extra cash tip, on the spot, for bringing everything and doing a good job, would be in order.

One of our sons booked my wife and I on our first ever cruise. It is on the Star Princess in the "Grand Suite". This site has given me a wealth of information but I still have some questions.

My understanding is we can order petty much anything that is served in the MDR from room service. Because the Suite has a dining room that seats six plus balcony tables that seat four and seat two, in room dinner meals once or twice might be a good option.

Here is where it gets a little more confusing. Tonight one of my daughters called and told me she and her husband booked a non-suite inside cabin on the same cruise. So the question is, will we be able to invite them to eat in our suite one night? I know we could do the "Ultimate Balcony Dining" which we may also do one night. However, I was hoping to be able to do something less formal one night.

Mark

Yes! YOu most certainly can. When you order from room service they will ask you the question: How many people is this for?

We also will be in the GS on the Star for an upcoming cruise. In the past years we have started ordering dinner in our other suites and have really enjoyed it on the balcony especially after busy days in ports. We think we will start ordering more dinners - nice and relaxing. Unlike the UBD, they bring everything at the same time and it really wasn't cold.

When are you sailing? We are in March.

You should find each evening after turndown service, breakfast, lunch and dinner menu's from the dining room. At least that was our experience after just returning from the Sapphire Princess.

It was very nice on some days/evenings to be able to have a meal served on our balcony or in the room!

Enjoy your cruise...............

So the question is, will we be able to invite them to eat in our suite one night? I know we could do the "Ultimate Balcony Dining" which we may also do one night. However, I was hoping to be able to do something less formal one night.

Mark

No problem at all. We have done this a few times ourselves.

Mike:)

We just returned from our cruise in the Grand Suite on The Caribbean Princess today.

When calling for room service, reservations, etc. etc. immediately tell them you are in the Grand Suite. The Princess telephone system does not show the suite number of the person calling. You will either be transferred to a VIP officer or just treated in a GRAND manner. :)

You will also be gifted a free dinner in any of the specialty restaurants on embarkation night - make your reservations ASAP

We are not "name droppers" but your ship card and mentioning your suite makes for a GRAND cruise ;)

I was glad to see this question as we will be in a Vista Suite this May. We have friends that will be traveling with us but in a Ocean view cabin. We would like to be able to have them join us in the suite for a meal or two. There is no table in the cabin. so dining in the cabin might not work or do they bring a folding table Just curious if anyone has had experience with this. I know with the UBD they bring a folding table and you can eat inside or out. There is a table with 4 chairs on the balcony.

I was glad to see this question as we will be in a Vista Suite this May. We have friends that will be traveling with us but in a Ocean view cabin. We would like to be able to have them join us in the suite for a meal or two. There is no table in the cabin. so dining in the cabin might not work or do they bring a folding table Just curious if anyone has had experience with this. I know with the UBD they bring a folding table and you can eat inside or out. There is a table with 4 chairs on the balcony.

When I have been in a Vista Suite, they have not brought a table.

The coffee table in the Vista Suite will hold some of the food. There is the nice table, that you mentioned, on the balcony.

One way to do it, that can be nice, is like at a church social. Everyone hold their plate, seated or standing or moving back and forth to the balcony. Other plates can go on the various counter tops. It can be done.

Enjoy!

Bon voyage and Bon appetit :)

When calling for room service, reservations, etc. etc. immediately tell them you are in the Grand Suite. The Princess telephone system does not show the suite number of the person calling.

We are not "name droppers" but your ship card and mentioning your suite makes for a GRAND cruise ;)

That is not correct. They DO know what cabin number you are on. I would never say I am in a suite when calling unless they say I couldn't have something that I know I could.

Whenever I have called, they would say, yes Mrs. _______. So they know your name and cabin number. We have never had to say we were in a suite. In the MDR when they ask for the cabin number and you give it to them, they immediately know you have a suite.

That is not correct. They DO know what cabin number you are on. I would never say I am in a suite when calling unless they say I couldn't have something that I know I could.

Whenever I have called, they would say, yes Mrs. _______. So they know your name and cabin number. We have never had to say we were in a suite. In the MDR when they ask for the cabin number and you give it to them, they immediately know you have a suite.

Agreed. We have always had the same experience.

Mike:)

That may be true but in Dec my niece tried to make res for the Crown for a later time & was told only 6pm, in the rest when asked why as she was in the Grand suite the reply was she didn`t tell the reservatioist it was a suite.

I agree that they know or should know. Definitely.

Know what just occurred to me? Maybe it can't hurt to tell them. Maybe it kind of reinforces the idea, in case the telephone person is swamped with business and is super stressed. Kind of like: it is good that you know that they know that you know that they know... Etc :)

Toto2Kansas used to always say to tell them you are in a suite, and name the suite. Food for thought...

Bon voyage and Bon appetit :)

Agree with Toto, when you call the dine line give name of suite, number and your name. Only the OS and GS have the tables in the room to sit at, otherwise wood table and 4 chairs on the balcony and nice views. I would tip alot more if adding people and more food, just my opinion. We never tip less than $10 for both of us per meal service in room and it is normally more.

When we go to the dining room we give them our room number, we do not name drop, if they treat us as any other passenger and give us the beeper for the dining room we take it and wait with everyone else-this is for anytime dining and yes this has happened, no big deal for us.

Enjoy!

Seadeck2

I still disagree. If they say call back or you can't do it, then I would say but I am in a suite But I certainly wouldn't. I have never had a problem - and they always call me by my name - Mrs. ______.

They might do that if the person ordering has or is acting like a snob (been reading that other thread on snobs). I've heard of things like that happening.

Archived