NCL in Ketchikan - a tender port??

2Oregonians

We previously did an Alaska cruise on Princess and had a great dock position. I was just reading some info on NCL's website and it says that Ketchikan is a tender port. True? Is it always, or does it just depend on how many ships are in town at the time? If that's the case, what percentage of the time do you think it would be a tender port? I ask because my father-in-law uses a scooter and a tender will be a problem.

We'll be on the Jewel 3 weeks after you. What kind of room did you get? And just curious how you know what berth they'll be at?

Thanks!

We are in an aft balcony (B1) on the 9th deck. I googled it and somewhere I found a 2013 Ketchikan cruise schedule that listed the berth. I am not sure I can find it again, but if I do, I'll post it.

We are in an aft balcony (B1) on the 9th deck. I googled it and somewhere I found a 2013 Ketchikan cruise schedule that listed the berth. I am not sure I can find it again, but if I do, I'll post it.

Thanks. We're in a large group and have various types of rooms - inside, obstructed view, balcony, and mini-suite. 6 rooms on decks 8, 10 and 11.

We'll be on the Jewel 3 weeks after you. What kind of room did you get? And just curious how you know what berth they'll be at?

Thanks!

Here is where I found the berth number. This is the 2012 schedule but it is the same berths each year.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/cruise-ship-calendar-ketchikan.pdf

And even on the days where they show 5 ships, the 5th ship comes in after one of the others left. NCL is third in the pecking order in AK when it comes to berths in ports - so unless Princess and HAL have all of the berths in port, NCL will have one.

Enjoy your cruise.

Here is where I found the berth number. This is the 2012 schedule but it is the same berths each year.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/cruise-ship-calendar-ketchikan.pdf

And even on the days where they show 5 ships, the 5th ship comes in after one of the others left. NCL is third in the pecking order in AK when it comes to berths in ports - so unless Princess and HAL have all of the berths in port, NCL will have one.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you both!!!

It seems that NCL always get the berth nearest to downtown?

Actually, I think HAL has the best berth closest to downtown. I heard the story that years ago, HAL saved some fishermen and the town was so glad that they promised HAL the best berth forever. I remember walking down one of the downtown streets and HAL was right there in your face, only steps away from the curb!

In the major AK ports there is really no "bad" dock and rarely is there any tendering - all of the ports can handle at least four ships at once. Juneau's AJ docks are probably the worst in terms of being far from town. in Ketchikan, the worst you will be is a ship's length away from the central area. In Skagway the railroad dock is just a wee bit farther to walk to than the Broadway and Ore docks. Juneau is the only port that is set up to tender - I have seen it only once and that was 10 years ago - before the AJ docks.

Archived