Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

Some of the recent posts remind me of the time I booked a suite on NCL. Being in a suite I was invited to a "special party". While waiting in line something was said (I don't remember what) and I said (loud enough for those around me to hear), "This can't be that exclusive, after all, they invited me." The couple in front of me thought that was really funny (some how it seem funnier at the time then it does now while I'm typing this - I guess you had to be there).

I find poking fun at myself has an advantage, I don't have to worry about someone being insulted.

Some of the recent posts remind me of the time I booked a suite on NCL. Being in a suite I was invited to a "special party". While waiting in line something was said (I don't remember what) and I said (loud enough for those around me to hear), "This can't be that exclusive, after all, they invited me." The couple in front of me thought that was really funny (some how it seem funnier at the time then it does now while I'm typing this - I guess you had to be there).

I find poking fun at myself has an advantage, I don't have to worry about someone being insulted.

Great attitude! And a funny story.

Great stories! Being a snob, I can only relate :) Have met a few in my travels but the only humerus one that sticks in my head was a few years ago. Warning...you would have to be Seinfeld junkies to understand but I get a chuckle every time I tell the story. We were at a large table in anytime dining. The normal "where do you hail" introductions came and went when an elderly lady started telling everyone what huge company they owned, or something of the sort and then started drilling everyone else on their occupations and how well they payed...We generally like to forget work and usually offer a title and move on but this lady was getting on everyones nerves...Here comes the Seinfeld bit... When she came to me I smiled and told her that I worked for Vandelay Industries, the young lady to my left spilled her wine...she was a true Seinfeld aficionado. We had a lot of fun the rest of the evening playing with my deception.

Note: to those who haven't watched Seinfeld, sorry, it would take to long to explain. To those that did, Happy Festivus!

I remember another story. Kind of a reverse snob story. At any rate, it was 1989 and I and my girlfriend and her five kids (aged six to thirteen) were flying to Orlando via Miami on Pan Am. The stewardess gets on the PA and announces that the movie in coach (where we were) will be Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I was happy, as that meant the kids would all be occupied. "There is no movie in first class, the VCR is broken." Instant laughter in the coach section. I must admit, I got a chuckle out of that.

At the time I was comfortable financially, but by no means rich. I saved for three years to take that trip and was able to save some money by taking advantage of a special the airline was offering and by redeeming some old lettered tickets (A, B, C, D & E) from about ten years earlier (yes, they let us do that).

Here is the kicker. There are seven of us and we didn't make reservations for dinner. People were waiting for a table for over an hour. However, being a large group, we were given priority at a large table, which meant we waited for about five minutes. So sometimes it is not who you are, but how many you are, that matters.

Reading through these posts I just can't keep my mouth shut any longer. This is NOT a snob story, it is the exact opposite, but I feel it fits here.

My husband and I have lived in a very rural area (insert "rednecks") for over 25 years. Our four sons were raised here and will most likely die here. They have not been brought up on the finery of eating with way too many forks and so forth but they HAVE been brought up Southern with manners, politeness, and all around great humor.

The last cruise we went on, we took our two younger boys with us, ages 17 and 16 on the Jewel of the Seas, RCI. The first night in the MDR my poor older boy looked at his dinner setting and immediately panicked. There were too many forks! He asked me "Is this in case we drop one?" The waitress happened to be coming by, and I really wish we could remember her name, she was fantastic! She leaned over and gently explained each fork and it's use to him. His response was something like "But I only ever use one for everything."

The next night in the MDR we arrived at our table to find that there were no forks at our son's place setting. He asked the waitress "Are we having soup?" Her answer was "No, you don't know how to use those forks so you can't have them." My boys roared with laughter and immediately felt calmer about the whole "formal" thing.

All week the number of forks changed, as did the order of how they were set. The last night we came in to find no les than fourteen forks at his plate, seven spoons, three knives, a butter knife, and a shrimp fork.

The wait staff in the MDR made our days and nights!

My son tells this story to everybody about the best cruise he ever took (it was the ONLY cruise he has even taken!).

To me, the humor and the insistence on making a couple of redneck boys feel at home in the MDR even on formal night is the complete opposite of snobbery.

As an English Lit teacher, I often remind my students that it was snobbery that killed so many on the Titanic, NOT the iceberg.

Really LOVE this story. Isn't it amazing how some caring and inventive people made your whole son's trip!!!!:)

How about the "lady" :eek: who loudly complained that the ships crew were using the same gangway, and ship entrance, that the Elite passengers were using.

We experienced this on an Alaskan cruise. We were waiting for a bus in Juneau to take us into town. We were docked at the far dock. The passenger was quite rude (loud and obnoxious) to the crewmember. My mom leaned over to the crewmember and told him to ignore the comment and the guy who said it. We let the crewmember board the bus before us which I'm sure didn't make that man too happy.

This just happened recently. I have friends who were sailing on Regent from Aukland to Sydney. She is very, very casual in her dress and was quite worried when she read the dress code write-up. I went on the roll call for that sailing and chatted with a fellow Canadian about the dress code. She assured me that my girlfriend would be fine....they weren't snobs....all walks of life on the cruise. My girlfriend's husband e-mailed me and said that they were fine with the dress but he finally met this fellow Canadian that I had been talking to and she blew him off. So much for snobbery eh lol.

Reading through these posts I just can't keep my mouth shut any longer. This is NOT a snob story, it is the exact opposite, but I feel it fits here.

Made me think. The antidote to a SNOB is the opposite, or BONS. Bon means GOOD, and a Bon can be a bon mot, a hearty "Bon Voyage," bon temps, bon appetit or bonhomie.

Seen examples of all those bons and more on this thread.

Rick

My husband and I have been on Princess and we were snobbed. We were sailing out of San Juan and there was a CC meet & greet. We found some nice people but there were some who would whisper right in front of you. They ignored us too. This was supposed to be a meet & greet. We never joined the group again for another gathering.

We also were eyeballed up and down by women who thought they were better than everyone else. I have a skin condition and I am used to being stared at but it is still hurtful.

I also overheard a woman with bleach blonde hair and huge red lips comment on how another passenger was a "schlepp". She didn't know I was standing right there and could hear her. She was talking to her husband and there was an obvious age difference. She was younger. He looked 90.:o

Archived