Can you walk in reef shoes?

I've read a lot about getting a pair of reef shoes for the beach, snorkelling etc. Can you walk around the island in them too? I am trying to minimise the number of shoes I bring, so just wondering if I can get away with these or if I need walking shoes too.

It depends on which islands you go to, as for the likes of Mystery Island, Champagne Bay and Wala you can get way with using reef shoes, as your landing on sand (and you can even wear them when you go to the Isle of Pines, as the sand is not far from where you get off the tender.)

But the rest of the islands, a pair of shoes will be needed.

I hope this helps :)

Reef shoes are fine for beachy islands provided you have bought snugly fitting shoes that will not get sucked off in loose wet sand or chafe your heels as they scrape up and down while you walk on dry land. They do not take up much room in your luggage being squashy and it is worth paying a little extra to get the right fit and elasticity to keep them snug and on your feet. For ports like Noumea and Vila or anywhere you are planning to do a serious walk to a lookout, you will need more substantial shoes.

I used mine for the beach and rocks and at the cascade waterfalls in vila. There were some people at the waterfalls with thongs which made climbing wet rocks etc difficult and others with joggers that got really wet as you have to walk through the water as part oF the climb to the top!

I agree with others they dont take up much space and u can get them for $10 in bigW. You absolutely need them in the south pacific.

I found that when we were at the cascade falls in vila I wore my reef shoes as we were doing the absailing... whilst in the water and smooth rocks they were fine... whilst we walked along the gravel path the smaller stones hurt the bottom of my feet and I walked along the grass... don't think I would like to wear them all day...

Joanne

Archived