I just can't get excited about an Australia/NZ/South Pacific cruise...

jarz85

I just can't get excited about an Australia/NZ/South Pacific cruise...

This might sound weird, but for an unknown reason I have very little interest in doing an Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific cruise. I have no idea why. For instance there is a cruise that goes from Sydney to Perth, stopping in a few capital cities on the way.. I just can't justify $6000+ just for a balcony stateroom on one of these cruises. Even the South Pacific 8-10 nights, you'd be lucky to get a balcony room for less than $4000.

If you want to visit a few capital cities or you want to "travel", cruising is not for you.You cant get the feel of a city in a day.

The ship itself is a destination and your daily price per person is so you can indulge in the lap of luxury for a week or so and let the cares of the world float away.

If you happen to get to see far away places with strange sounding names , that is a bonus.....and one to be cherished.:)

This might sound weird, but for an unknown reason I have very little interest in doing an Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific cruise. I have no idea why. For instance there is a cruise that goes from Sydney to Perth, stopping in a few capital cities on the way.. I just can't justify $6000+ just for a balcony stateroom on one of these cruises. Even the South Pacific 8-10 nights, you'd be lucky to get a balcony room for less than $4000.

For a couple thousand more you could fly to the USA and do a back to back Caribbean cruise... it just seems so much better? Only downer is the 13 & 15 hour flights.

Also, why are the transpacific (Sydney - Honolulu) cruises ridiculously expensive? Is there that much demand for it? Normally repo cruises are dirt cheap.. but this could just be a USA thing?

I'd really like to do an Australian/NZ/SP cruise but I'm after some advice... What attracts you to do these cruises? (This question is for Australian residents).

Thanks!

PS.. I don't mean to sound grumpy in my post I just don't know how to word it properly! It just seems so convenient to only have to fly for 1.5 hours and then hop on a cruise ship, but the itineraries seem boring? Is the South Pacific like the Caribbean just the southern version!?

You are shopping at the wrong place.

We did 7 nights around the islands last year in a Mini Suite for under $1450 each

They are currently offering Radiance of the Seas Balconies around the Islands for nine nights for $1,200 each.

Queen Victoria San Fran to Sydney 20 nights $1185 (inside twin)

There are plenty of bargains and the relocation Cruises are normally very cheap for the Cruise its just the Airfare one way that has to be hunted down.

The ship itself is a destination and your daily price per person is so you can indulge in the lap of luxury for a week or so and let the cares of the world float away.

If you happen to get to see far away places with strange sounding names , that is a bonus.....and one to be cherished.

This is so true

Its funny, we about 700 miles from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, where ships leave daily for the Caribbean. We have no interest in those cruises. In 2011 we flew to Sydney and took two cruises. The first was 28 days circumnavigaton of Australia and the second 14 days to Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

I am about an hour from Galveston and have absolutely no interest in cruising out of Galveston or even New Orleans. However I am excited to be coming to New Zealand and then Australia, with a South Pacific cruise out of Sydney at the end.

We have cruised over 50 times and have seen most of the world from shipboard, but we also have taken as many or more land based trips in our lives. We seem to remember the combination trips the most. We recently spent a month in Italy interrupted by a 7 night Greek Isles cruise, then a transatlantic from Rome to Galveston (45 minutes from our house). If I lived in Australia, I can't think of 1 reason to cruise the Caribbean. Most of the islands are crowded, dirty and cater primarily to shoppers. You can find private beaches and rent cars to drive around, but in general if I never go again, it will be just fine. Exceptions to this might be St. John, Bermuda, Grand Cayman and the BVIs. St. Barts is also very nice, but very few ships are allowed there anymore. Our favorites are the European cruises, Alaska cruises and repositioning. Being weird and loving days at sea, we really like the many consecutive days at sea to be found on repositions. This year we are finishing with a Hawaii cruise from San Diego for 15 days (not a good way to see the islands if you have never been), and then a 12 day Australia / New Zealand bracketed by 2 weeks in Australia and a week in New Zealand. If you really love the states, try one of the New England cruises. You'll get to see a lot of the eastern seaboard and beautiful parts of Canada. Good luck in whatever you do. We are going to brave the flights and come visit your wonderful part of the world.

I think that's exactly the problem... Why pay a lot of money to cruise somewhere I've driven to already! For some reason NZ seems like it's the same as Australia. At the moment I'm just crazy about the USA... No other country compares to it.. I wish I could move there!!

I just wish I could get interested and book a cruise from Australia... It would be so convenient!

Totally agree jarz85, hubby and I prefer holidaying in the USA be it cruising or land tours. We have booked a NZ cruise Feb 2013 with family though so may acquire a new love of land & country that is nearer!!

Archived