Bar Hopping San Juan

teacher_md

Looking to go bar hopping in San Juan for the short amount of time we will be there. Our ship is in port from 3pm - 9pm on Monday, March 25th. Probably enjoy some food along the way. We don't necessarily need the most hopping places, but would like some nice ambience/interesting architecture/design and good drinks. Have been in San Juan a few times before and loved walking the city. This time we just want to try something else.

Anyone have any recommendations for us? Could be a suggested plan of attack or certain can't-miss places. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, AJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't actually been there, but I've always wanted to go to Carli's Fine Bistro & Piano - Carli Munoz plays the piano (jazz) and has played many popular groups, such as The Beach Boys and George Benson.

It's within walking distance from the port.

I think your biggest problem is you will be there on a Monday night and must be back onboard by 8:30 pm.

Most bars will not be much fun on a Monday OR that early at night.

When we stayed pre cruise our first visit.....we were looking for some salsa bars...... found a couple - one really good one. But it was a Friday night and it didn't even begin to "get going" until around 10:30 or 11 pm :D

That said, you might try this place. They were not playing salsa the night we went but rather jazz, which we weren't looking for....

http://www.nuyoricancafepr.com/

Here is another website that reiterates what I said about weekends etc....

http://www.concierge.com/travelguide/sanjuan/nightlife

We have always enjoyed the courtyard at El Convento for drinks and tapas. El Picoteo makes a mean mojito :D

Texancruzer -

Thanks for the tips, specifically Nuyorican Cafe and El Convento. Along with Carli's Bistro, we're off to a good start. Yeah, I know it is not the best timing - Monday evening - but we can bring the festive attitude. It's our vacation, right? Probably will just enjoy a nice walk around too. I guess El Picoteo is the bartender?

- AJ

Texancruzer -

Thanks for the tips, specifically Nuyorican Cafe and El Convento. Along with Carli's Bistro, we're off to a good start. Yeah, I know it is not the best timing - Monday evening - but we can bring the festive attitude. It's our vacation, right? Probably will just enjoy a nice walk around too. I guess El Picoteo is the bartender?

- AJ

I guess you could call him that but he wouldn't answer :eek:

In the courtyard is a 350+ year old picoteo tree. The courtyard is also lit up with tons of tiny white lights and the bar/restaurant itself has candles lit everywhere. So the restaurant is named after the huge tree in the courtyard. We stayed here a couple of night pre cruise one night - nice hotel and the location can't be beat. We wandered old San Juan till all hours of the morning. Safe and fun!

There is another place we went Rhumba Room. But I think you would be wasting your time on a Mon and that early. Great hole in the wall place where locals go to salsa..... the night we were there they had a 7 piece brass band and it was amazing....... fun to watch the locals since they really know how to salsa. This is where Dirty dancing Havana Nights was filmed.

Barrachinas is a restaurant that serves drinks and is known for "supposedly" inventing the pina colada.

There are others further out in Isla Verde and Condado but I don't know if I would bother with the taxi ride etc......

I guess you could call him that but he wouldn't answer :eek:

In the courtyard is a 350+ year old picoteo tree. The courtyard is also lit up with tons of tiny white lights and the bar/restaurant itself has candles lit everywhere. So the restaurant is named after the huge tree in the courtyard. We stayed here a couple of night pre cruise one night - nice hotel and the location can't be beat. We wandered old San Juan till all hours of the morning. Safe and fun!

There is another place we went Rhumba Room. But I think you would be wasting your time on a Mon and that early. Great hole in the wall place where locals go to salsa..... the night we were there they had a 7 piece brass band and it was amazing....... fun to watch the locals since they really know how to salsa. This is where Dirty dancing Havana Nights was filmed.

Barrachinas is a restaurant that serves drinks and is known for "supposedly" inventing the pina colada.

There are others further out in Isla Verde and Condado but I don't know if I would bother with the taxi ride etc......

I'mnot the OP but thank you for posting - i've noted these down!

Coudl you provide some more info on Rhumba Room? It sounds amazing but i'm not able to find anything on google...

I'mnot the OP but thank you for posting - i've noted these down!

Coudl you provide some more info on Rhumba Room? It sounds amazing but i'm not able to find anything on google...

Hmmmm you didn't look at the clubs on the link above in post #5 ? It is listed there as just Rhumba.

Also I just did a google search for "Rhumba San Juan" and brought up numerous links.....tripadvisor reviews etc.....

Hmmmm you didn't look at the clubs on the link above in post #5 ? It is listed there as just Rhumba.

Also I just did a google search for "Rhumba San Juan" and brought up numerous links.....tripadvisor reviews etc.....

Apologies, did not go through the links on post 5.

I was searching for Rhumba Room... just noticed it's spelt 'Rumba'. getting results now... although trip advisor only has 3 reviews - let's hope it remains a 'locals' place!

Apologies, did not go through the links on post 5.

I was searching for Rhumba Room... just noticed it's spelt 'Rumba'. getting results now... although trip advisor only has 3 reviews - let's hope it remains a 'locals' place!

Sorry, have seen it spelled both ways. I don't even remember a sign out front to be honest. And yes, this is and I think always will be a locals place ! It is not fancy - a true hole-in-the-wall but very cool.

The real problem for those on a cruise stop is none of the places get "going" until much later....... and even then mostly on the weekend.

Sorry, have seen it spelled both ways. I don't even remember a sign out front to be honest. And yes, this is and I think always will be a locals place ! It is not fancy - a true hole-in-the-wall but very cool.

The real problem for those on a cruise stop is none of the places get "going" until much later....... and even then mostly on the weekend.

Lucky i'm spending a few days pre-cruise - i plan to fully immerse myself in the culture!

We've been to San Juan a few times but usualy stay near Senor Frogs. Is there a place to get real/authentic Puerto Rician cuisine somewhat near the cruise terminal? Thanks!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGG

Senor Frogs .......... I know a lot of people like to head to Sr Frogs or Margaritavilles etc.... but I always try to encourage people to venture a little bit further out of their comfort zone and experience a port a little more. Old San Juan is way too cool not to stroll the streets, duck into a cute boutique or grab a tapas and a mojito.

There are quite a few threads discussing just this topic (authentic PR food) right here....... read down the list and you will find lots of suggestions !

Archived