Newbie to NCL - personal consultant????

2Oregonians

What's with the personal consultant that just called me? I've done 4 cruises with Princess and am not used to NCL, so I've never dealt with how they do things.

We booked through a TA, but I did do the online check-in. She said that triggered her to call me and that if I had booked through their website, she would be my personal consultant, but since I used a TA, that I should call the TA for questions. Then she went on to ask if I had any questions!!! :confused: What's the deal here?

She really didn't know any more about the cruise, the rooms, etc., than I did. Anything I asked she mumbled as she looked it up, put me on hold twice (probably to ask someone else), then just spouted propaganda from ncl and gave me no new information that I couldn't have found out on my own.

We have 6 rooms with 17 people. What I asked her (and maybe you guys can speak to this too) was regarding my in-law's handicap room. They have 3 people in their handicap balcony room, and I have 3 people in our mini-suite. She said that the handicap room is 4 square feet BIGGER than our mini-suite, but cost less. She wouldn't say how much less even when I pushed the fact that I was asking generically and not specifically about my in-laws. :rolleyes: I kept saying so they're getting a larger room for less money? And she would just spout off things like I should compare our mini-suite to a REGULAR balcony and not a handicap balcony. She would say, "Yeah, yeah, I get ya. I see what you're saying." She actually got on my nerves with her talking in circles and not really saying anything of substance.

So explain to me her purpose if she said I should call my TA for questions, then she went on to TRY to answer questions :rolleyes: for the next 10 minutes. And also why a hc balcony is larger, but less expensive, than our mini-suite!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help I get here!!!

Well, a PCC is not designed to be of assistance to someone who already has a TA. But she apparently did not know you had a TA when she called you. Perhaps she should have, but who knows. When you work with a TA, no PCC or NCL customer service personnel will discuss anything specific to the booked cruise. You need to work thru the TA for that. However, as a courtesy, she appeared to offer you generic help about NCL, ships, room types, etc. since she had you on the phone. I'm sure she would have also been more than happy to help you book another cruise so that you would not have to use a TA for that one. She was doing her job to try and answer the questions she is permitted to do based on your current TA relationship. Now, she may not have been fully knowledgeable about all topics, but that's another story. That is a matter of her experience and training (just as it is with a TA).

As for the handicap room, I agree with her. Handicap rooms are by definition bigger in size to permit enhanced mobility to the guests. However, they do not charge a higher price for that benefit to their handicap guests. Mini suites are not really much different from balcony cabins. This is documented all over these boards. Some people do not like the fact that they have "suite" in the name. They are only slightly large than a standard balcony cabin in most cases. So it is very possible that a handicap balcony cabin is larger than a standard mini-suite which might be more expensive. Would you think it better that they increased the price to handicap passengers in order to better accommodate them with balcony cabins otherwise? I think most people would not think that is fair either. The amount of price difference cannot really be expressed "generically" because pricing changes all the time on cruiselines. The price difference between balcony and mini-suite will change based upon the supply and demand of what is already booked in those two categories for a particular sailing. No way to accurately answer that question, so she did right by not telling you a price difference.

I don't have anything to add, but wanted to compliment "MeHeartCruising" on their answer. Spot on.

I guess what bugs me is that NCL would allow, or promote, the use of information provided for our boarding docs as a reason to call and solicit business. I despise being solicited. If I wanted a PCC I would call for one.

I don't have anything to add, but wanted to compliment "MeHeartCruising" on their answer. Spot on.

I guess what bugs me is that NCL would allow, or promote, the use of information provided for our boarding docs as a reason to call and solicit business. I despise being solicited. If I wanted a PCC I would call for one.

Exactly!!

As for the handicap room, I agree with her. Handicap rooms are by definition bigger in size to permit enhanced mobility to the guests. However, they do not charge a higher price for that benefit to their handicap guests. Mini suites are not really much different from balcony cabins. This is documented all over these boards. Some people do not like the fact that they have "suite" in the name. They are only slightly large than a standard balcony cabin in most cases. So it is very possible that a handicap balcony cabin is larger than a standard mini-suite which might be more expensive. Would you think it better that they increased the price to handicap passengers in order to better accommodate them with balcony cabins otherwise? I think most people would not think that is fair either. The amount of price difference cannot really be expressed "generically" because pricing changes all the time on cruiselines. The price difference between balcony and mini-suite will change based upon the supply and demand of what is already booked in those two categories for a particular sailing. No way to accurately answer that question, so she did right by not telling you a price difference.

I've done Princess in a balcony twice and a mini-suite twice. I can only assume that the size differences (balcony vs mini) are about the same between the 2 lines. We were satisfied with the extra space for the price on Princess. The consultant did say that minis are 80 sq ft larger than balconies. That sounds about right to me.

The difference I've noticed between the 2 lines is the bathrooms. I loved Princess' mini-suite bathroom! More space than a balcony for sure!! On ncl, I wasn't impressed by pictures I've seen of the bathrooms. They separate the shower and tub, and that just takes up too much room. The sink area looked just as cramped as Princess' regular balcony rooms. I think ncl could've done better on their mini-suite bathrooms. Other than that, the minis looked very much the same on the 2 lines.

My guess is you filled something out on the NCL website that gave your information to them, i.e. phone number. Obviously, she didn't know that you had already booked with a TA and was trying to sell you a cruise. She was not in a position to answer your questions and those should be dealt with by your TA.

My guess is you filled something out on the NCL website that gave your information to them, i.e. phone number. Obviously, she didn't know that you had already booked with a TA and was trying to sell you a cruise. She was not in a position to answer your questions and those should be dealt with by your TA.

Oh, but she did. Which is to say she TRIED to. She actually looked up our booking and my in-law's. They only thing she wouldn't specify is how much difference in price there was between our room and theirs. I then changed my questioning to being generic about a mini vs a hc balcony, and she still wouldn't answer. But she fully served as a "TA" type in looking things up and talking about specific rooms we had, etc. She just didn't provide any NEW information that I couldn't have found online, and already had.

By the way, I've done two NCL cruises through a TA and never got a call from NCL. Hope this was a mistake and not a new policy.

I asked what triggered her call, and she said "did you fill out your online check-in information on our website?" When I said yes, she said that's what triggered her to call me. So I have no idea if that's the new standard. I just know it happened to me.

As for the handicap room, .... Would you think it better that they increased the price to handicap passengers in order to better accommodate them with balcony cabins otherwise? I think most people would not think that is fair either.

I can see your point. If someone cannot be accommodated in a regular balcony room due to their wheelchair or scooter, and they are provided a larger room, I do agree that they should not have to pay a higher price for it. However, I've been told that NON-handicapped people swoop these rooms up because they are larger for less money. If that's true, then I don't agree with that.

Ok, so one of my original questions still stand... our TA told us that the 3rd person in my in-law's handicapped room would be sleeping on an upper, but the consultant (who DID look up my in-law's specific room) said the 3rd person would be sleeping on a futon. Does anyone know for sure???

Thanks y'all !!!!!!

I can see your point. If someone cannot be accommodated in a regular balcony room due to their wheelchair or scooter, and they are provided a larger room, I do agree that they should not have to pay a higher price for it. However, I've been told that NON-handicapped people swoop these rooms up because they are larger for less money. If that's true, then I don't agree with that.

Ok, so one of my original questions still stand... our TA told us that the 3rd person in my in-law's handicapped room would be sleeping on an upper, but the consultant (who DID look up my in-law's specific room) said the 3rd person would be sleeping on a futon. Does anyone know for sure???

Thanks y'all !!!!!!

What's the room number?

Most balcony rooms sleep the third person on a fold out twin-sized couch that sits between the main bed and the balcony door. "Family" balconies that sleep 4 also have a bed that pulls down from the ceiling in front of the balcony door (blocks the door). If you provide your room number we can take a look and see if we can help you.

Well you may have answered it just with that. They are in a balcony for 3 people. I've seen it on the deck plans. It's NOT a family balcony room for 4. I think what it comes down to is that our TA was wrong in saying it would have an upper. From what I'm reading, and from what the consultant told me on the phone, I think it will have the futon or pull out. It's room 10144 btw. Thanks.

What's with the personal consultant that just called me? I've done 4 cruises with Princess and am not used to NCL, so I've never dealt with how they do things.

We booked through a TA, but I did do the online check-in. She said that triggered her to call me and that if I had booked through their website, she would be my personal consultant, but since I used a TA, that I should call the TA for questions. Then she went on to ask if I had any questions!!! :confused: What's the deal here?

She really didn't know any more about the cruise, the rooms, etc., than I did. Anything I asked she mumbled as she looked it up, put me on hold twice (probably to ask someone else), then just spouted propaganda from ncl and gave me no new information that I couldn't have found out on my own.

We have 6 rooms with 17 people. What I asked her (and maybe you guys can speak to this too) was regarding my in-law's handicap room. They have 3 people in their handicap balcony room, and I have 3 people in our mini-suite. She said that the handicap room is 4 square feet BIGGER than our mini-suite, but cost less. She wouldn't say how much less even when I pushed the fact that I was asking generically and not specifically about my in-laws. :rolleyes: I kept saying so they're getting a larger room for less money? And she would just spout off things like I should compare our mini-suite to a REGULAR balcony and not a handicap balcony. She would say, "Yeah, yeah, I get ya. I see what you're saying." She actually got on my nerves with her talking in circles and not really saying anything of substance.

So explain to me her purpose if she said I should call my TA for questions, then she went on to TRY to answer questions :rolleyes: for the next 10 minutes. And also why a hc balcony is larger, but less expensive, than our mini-suite!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help I get here!!!

They are nothing more than sales reps in disguise with a nice sounding title, lol

I have never heard of a PCC calling you about your cruise if you have already booked with a TA - perhaps it is because you had a "group (6 rooms, 17 people)?" And saying she could not answer questions, but she tried anyway is weird, but on a human level I think we all try to help where we can - even when we can't:)

I have always booked with a TA, but if I had a question regarding wine lists, or excursions, or even OBC, I have always found the NCL people to be helpful where they could. They just can't talk about your specific booking info - general questions regarding amenities, have always been answered for me.

As for the room price difference - am I missing something, or can't you just ask your in-laws what they paid and compare it to what you paid?? Or go online at the NCL website, or your TA's website, and compare the room prices??? Am I missing something here???

Thanks y'all !!!!!!

I HAVE THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER!!!!

I just called NCL as if I were trying to make a new reservation for an older couple, one of whom is in a wheelchair, and their friend who is also older and cannot climb to an upper.

She said that the HC balconies for THREE people and FOUR people have the extra people sleeping in an upper. The futon (or fold-out couch, I've seen/heard it called different names) is a CHILD-SIZE. An adult would not fit on it.

There were only 2 HC mini-suites on the ship itself, and they were both booked. She checked to see if the people in those rooms were indeed handicapped, because if they were not, she was able to bump them. I was put on hold and she said they DID require a HC room, so could not be bumped.

She offered alternatives such as upgrading to a penthouse, or separating the parties into 2 rooms.

The word on ROLLAWAYS is that they no longer do that. They were inspected and told that a rollaway is a fire hazard. So...... that leaves my in-laws and their friend in a quandry. I'm not sure what's going to happen now. They don't want to separate because it would cost more for all of them, and they are on tight budgets. We do have 17 people, but it's not practical to switch people around due to the dynamics of us not knowing the friend... my mother doesn't know my husband's family very well.... the 2 kids who are coming don't want to be away from their parents... etc., etc.

Anyway, just wanted to report that to everyone!

As for the room price difference - am I missing something, or can't you just ask your in-laws what they paid and compare it to what you paid?? Or go online at the NCL website, or your TA's website, and compare the room prices??? Am I missing something here???

You're not missing anything. I just was not aware that the room was slightly bigger. I DID know they were paying a lower price. I just brought that up to the consultant and ASKED the price difference, and she would not answer. It's no big deal to ask my in-law's, but I had the consultant on the line and it was SHE to whom I was complaining, so I asked the information. My "lol" so-to-speak was that she wouldn't even answer it in a generic context. That's all.... not a big deal. Thanks.

P.S. handicapped room info and prices are not available on the website.

I had a handicapped suite on the Pearl. The room is indeed bigger, the balcony is however way smaller, about the depth of a wheel chair sideways.

I guess it keeps you from gaining momentum across the balcony and crashing into or over the railing:confused:

I had a handicapped suite on the Pearl. The room is indeed bigger, the balcony is however way smaller, about the depth of a wheel chair sideways.

I guess it keeps you from gaining momentum across the balcony and crashing into or over the railing:confused:

LOL!!! And was the futon (or couch) indeed child-sized as we were told?

LOL!!! And was the futon (or couch) indeed child-sized as we were told?

Sorry I did not mess with it. It was only the better half and myself.

We are not at least at the moment handicapped. We took the room because we wanted aft suite. If I had it to do again I would of gotten the mini-suite...with the BIG balcony

Sorry I did not mess with it. It was only the better half and myself.

We are not at least at the moment handicapped. We took the room because we wanted aft suite. If I had it to do again I would of gotten the mini-suite...with the BIG balcony

Ok, but how about the couch when it was NOT opened. Was it loveseat sized (as in a 2-person couch) or larger? Or smaller??

My personal cruise consultant seemed annoyed that I booked through NCL.com and not through him.

So he apparently can't help me. And I don't have a travel agent. I guess the lesson is not to book through NCL.com.

The couch is about half width. I can see an adult sleeping on it as needed. It's at least as wide as a twin bed based on the pictures. You can see in these pics where that couch sits..between the bed and balcony door. I lays down flat next to the bed in the same spot. If there is a pull-down, it runs side to side above the balcony door. When folded down, it blocks the balcony and creates a sort of "bunk" with that fold out couch thingy

oceanview_balconyBA3.JPG

Balcony_10632_2.JPG

Found a couple of pictures in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406516

1157764299.jpg?5.15

1157764300.jpg?5.15

Archived