Renting a car - don't drink. Been to 7 mile beach. Help?

Toddcan

We're renting a car for our day in GC. We don't drink, so have no interest going to rum point, unless there is something else there that is nice to see.

We spent tha day at 7 mile beach last time we were in GC - it was very nice. But, our other 2 stops are going to be beach days, so we're looking for stuff to see and do in GC.

We're a family of 4 - my wife and I, late 40's and 16 and 19 year old sons.

Thoughts?

[quote name='Toddcan']We're renting a car for our day in GC. We don't drink, so have no interest going to rum point, unless there is something else there that is nice to see.

We spent tha day at 7 mile beach last time we were in GC - it was very nice. But, our other 2 stops are going to be beach days, so we're looking for stuff to see and do in GC.

We're a family of 4 - my wife and I, late 40's and 16 and 19 year old sons.

Thoughts?[/quote]
You could look into Pedro St. James historical site, Botanical Gardens are nice, we saw huge blue iguanas. There is the Turtle farm, Hell. Stop for lunch on your journey.

The name is Rum Point but there is no big 'Rum' thing going on there. It is a beautiful beach area, one of the nicest we have ever seen and is known for great snorkeling. We drove there with an 18 and 19 year old and they loved it too. My husband had a beer, the kids did too, I was driving so didn't and we shared some conch fritters.

It was away from the hustle and bustle of the big beach resorts and met the image of the Caribbean that I've always had in my head. Maybe you could Google some images and see what I mean.

Yes, I know there is more to Rum Point that the cakes and rum. But, it is quite a drive to get there. It is is a nice beach, but what else is there to do? We're spending 2 other beach days on our cruise, so we're hoping to make GC a "drive around and check out stuff" day.

[quote name='Toddcan']Yes, I know there is more to Rum Point that the cakes and rum. But, it is quite a drive to get there. It is is a nice beach, but what else is there to do? We're spending 2 other beach days on our cruise, so we're hoping to make GC a "drive around and check out stuff" day.[/QUOTE]

Rum Point and the Rum Factory are two completely different places. The rum and rum cake factory is in Georgetown near the port. Rum Point is a beach about 45 minutes away that got its name because when ships would crash into the reefs, the currents would carry the barrels of rum to Rum Point.

[quote name='ahecht']Rum Point and the Rum Factory are two completely different places. The rum and rum cake factory is in Georgetown near the port. Rum Point is a beach about 45 minutes away that got its name because when ships would crash into the reefs, the currents would carry the barrels of rum to Rum Point.[/quote]

Wow, I thought the Rum cake and rum factory were at Rum point. Thanks for the clarification.

[quote name='monicajay']The name is Rum Point but there is no big 'Rum' thing going on there. It is a beautiful beach area, one of the nicest we have ever seen and is known for great snorkeling. We drove there with an 18 and 19 year old and they loved it too. My husband had a beer, the kids did too, I was driving so didn't and we shared some conch fritters.

It was away from the hustle and bustle of the big beach resorts and met the image of the Caribbean that I've always had in my head. Maybe you could Google some images and see what I mean.[/quote]

We are sailing in June. We will have 11 people. 5 teenages! Sounds like a great beach. How did you get there? What was the charge?:D

[quote name='so_excited_to_cruise']We are sailing in June. We will have 11 people. 5 teenages! Sounds like a great beach. How did you get there? What was the charge?:D[/quote]

The standard response:
You can either rent a car(s) and drive yourself or take a tour by boat that includes a stop at the stingrays and Rum Point. Public buses do not go that far. Taxis would be too expensive.

For large enough groups you [i]might[/i] come out ahead to contact a tour bus company (Majestic Tours, Tropicana Tours, Websters Tours or similar company) and arrange transport for your group that way. I am not sure how large your group needs to be to come out ahead this way.

[SIZE=1]*The Not-so-usual disclaimer: I hardly have a connection with reality, much less any financial connection to any of these companies. You agree that you will not use this information for any purposes prohibited by law including, without limitation, development of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons. [/SIZE]

[quote name='so_excited_to_cruise']We are sailing in June. We will have 11 people. 5 teenages! Sounds like a great beach. How did you get there? What was the charge?:D[/quote]

As drew sailbum explained there is no bus service and taxis would be too expensive. We rented from Avis, worked well and we had no problem driving there. Just checked and the rental per car is about $75.00 all included. You would need 3 for your group.

I think for a group that size you might be able to find someone with a van who will do it.

They do not charge for chairs at Rum Point but they hope you will drink/eat there. They are not pushy about it though.

If you have teens though and they have not been before they would love the trip to stingray city with a stop at Rum Point which is all done by boat. We had already done stingray city and didn't feel like doing it again.

Archived