LIVE From the PG- the prequel

Emdee

1. Lagoonarium is nice! Mopeds are dangerous in Moorea

3. What? There's a secret deck :rolleyes:

Actually the 'secret' deck is a space that is use by the crew but is seldom is in use. It sits on deck 8 completely forward between the 2 suites.

You weren't supposed to tell them about the secret deck until AFTER the initiation! :eek:

You guys are funny:) Thanks Tiki for your info, we are leaning towards the lagoonarium.

Emdee won't need the secret deck...there is an equivalent one attached to her newly upgraded cabin;)

Initiation...hmmm...missed that...no I mean I actually " missed it". My recently departed US Navy Vet FIL, always told us that when you are onboard a ship and cross the equator, you are initiated (I'm sure this isn't very pleasant in the USN) So I was expecting some kind of ceremony, recognition (anything self deprecating, short of being toilet bowled, would have been ok with me!) when we crossed while cruising in Ecuador. Alas, nothing was done;)

Has anyone experienced anything for crossing the equator on your cruises? Obviously with PG you cross in an airplane, which I have done many times, but I heard there was something traditional for sea crossings.

So we are here at the Hilton Moorea looking at the Paul Gauguin anchored in the cove. It's just so beautiful here. MUCH better than Tahiti for us since we love nature. I can't believe we will be on that ship in two days but honestly, I can stay here for a bit longer too.

Now off-topic - but I also can't believe we booked this trip during the NFL championship games and we are flying home on Super Bowl. We flew all night last night not knowing how our Baltimore Ravens did during the championship game. I had my son text me so when we landed it was so exciting to find out we are heading to the Super Bowl. The next big decision is to figure out if we postpone our flight home from LAX until Monday morning. Life is good...

So not only do I need to be jealous that you are in Moorea, but THIS!;) I would postpone, because that's the kind of fan I am...my long time screen name is a play both on travel (Familygo) and being sports fans (goBoston). Anyway, I will swallow my regional bitterness to give you this advice...

The Marriott at LAX has a Champions Sports bar that is a really fun atmosphere for games- several big screens and everyone there is in transit looking for a place to watch the games ( or in your case, there will only be me game on!) We were there for our beat down from Seattle. Good times:rolleyes:

Anyway, it's a good place to stay/watch, the Hilton is within walking distance of the bar at the Marriott, if you prefer to get a day room ( they will pre book one at Hilton- Marriott will not) good luck with the flight and game arrangements, I cannot bring myself to wish the team luck!:p

So Miriam, are planning any pearl shopping this trip? I would love to know where you decide to look around.

A funny thing happened on the way home from FP...I have fallen in love with the pearls I bought there and can hardly wait to go back to see more! I know...me interested in pearls, who would have thought :rolleyes: but there it is!

I bought one pair of earrings made from "good pearls" at Tahia and I love them, they seem to be green when I were green, blue when I wear blue or black when I wear black. I have a single drop of ok quality from a crafter, the bad part of the pearl is hiding under the mounting. I also bought a casual choker with 3 poor pearls on a black plastic tube at the dock in Moorea. It probably cost me 10 dollars ( and I bet I paid too much!) but I wear it with my jeans and a sweater almost every day, it looks great with casual stuff and now I want to go back and craft a better quality version for myself. I had a stylist recently tell me I need to accessorize more (I'm nearly 50 but still dress like a teen or someone headed to the gym:rolleyes:) I'm stunned how often putting on that cheesy little choker makes my look seem more grown up!

So I'm a convert!:p Would love to hear about your pearl shopping exploits on this trip!

I am tired of being tortured, bound, gagged and executed so am looking forward to happy times on this board and on board the PG.

And just in case someone wants to castigate me (again!) I am happy to tell all that I have received my first upgrade to a suite ever in 50 or so cruises on a host of lines. I guess statistically I was due. I have been told the retail value of the upgrade is $450 per person by a fellow passenger who was offered one last week. I will have to see how it compares to my favourite of all decks - Deck 4 and whether I miss the window ledge. I did when we were on deck 5.

My live postings will start next week after I finish my pre cruise at the Sofitel Moorea but I thought I would give new PG cruisers a little time to think of any questions they want answered about the ship, excursions etc and I will try and get this straight from the horses mouth.

Miriam

Hi Miriam and all: Home safe after 21 days on the TM. Had a great time meeting you and yours and missed you on the 2nd sailing. I posted pictures on my facebook, check them out. let me know your email and I will send you the pictures we took together. mikeyarman@yahoo.com

happy sailing

Mike

My BH has bought well over 100 pearls over our many trips to FP. What I've learned was most people pay to much for their pearls. I'll leave it at that.

For you that are at the Hilton Moorea remember there are a few less expensive places to eat within walking distance.

There is a place 200 meters to the right when leaving the Hilton. Open for lunch every day and Friday dinner. French lady who really has it together.

There is also a Chinese place about 1/2 mile to the right when leaviing. Great food and the prices are cheap. Big portions, $15 for a dish feeds 2 people.

There is also a small market & pizza place to the left.

Check this out - Cheap eata close by

Robert Wan has awesome selection and really good prices.

Last January they also had their first sale ever and we picked up some great stuff.

3 years ago we bought something at their stores on three different islands.

Maybe they have a good sale this Jamyary going on.

Everyone has their own opinions so more the merrier. In regards to Robert Wan here is my take.

1. You won't find a bad pearl in the lot

2. If your going to buy a quality pearl bigger than 12.5 mm Robert Wan is a good choice. IMO Robert Wan has the best choice of larger pearls. If your going to buy 12 mm or less there are several other places where the price will be better for the same quality.

3. Robert Wan is one of the few stores that have their own pearl farm.

4. This isn't a cheap place to buy at but as I said, not a bad pearl in the place.

For designed pearl jewlery there are 2 great places I recommend, both are on Moorea.

Eimeo Fine Jewelery which is just down from the Juice Factory and Eaa Pearls which is almost across the street from the Post Office in Maharepa. Both have won their fair share of pearl jewelery designs in French Polynesia. I've had long conversations with both and have nothing but good things to say about both.

For less expensive loose pearls there some good places. I'm not talking about the 'cheap' $10 pearls you see at the stands. For $100 - $200 you can get a nice pearl in the 9 mm - 12 mm range.

Everyone has their own opinions so more the merrier. In regards to Robert Wan here is my take.

1. You won't find a bad pearl in the lot

2. If your going to buy a quality pearl bigger than 12.5 mm Robert Wan is a good choice. IMO Robert Wan has the best choice of larger pearls. If your going to buy 12 mm or less there are several other places where the price will be better for the same quality.

3. Robert Wan is one of the few stores that have their own pearl farm.

4. This isn't a cheap place to buy at but as I said, not a bad pearl in the place.

For designed pearl jewlery there are 2 great places I recommend, both are on Moorea.

Eimeo Fine Jewelery which is just down from the Juice Factory and Eaa Pearls which is almost across the street from the Post Office in Maharepa. Both have won their fair share of pearl jewelery designs in French Polynesia. I've had long conversations with both and have nothing but good things to say about both.

For less expensive loose pearls there some good places. I'm not talking about the 'cheap' $10 pearls you see at the stands. For $100 - $200 you can get a nice pearl in the 9 mm - 12 mm range.

This is what happened with me, I thought the pearls were pretty, but didn't picture myself shopping for them (I don't dress up much and thought id never wear them and I don't like to shop) so I was surprised when I bought these cheapos at the craft market ( while waiting for our bikes to arrive) and find myself wearing them all the time. Makes me think that I might be able to force myself to spend an hour shopping next trip in addition to biking, snorkeling , hiking and general sight seeing.;)

Thanks Familygoboston for the sports bar info. We did just change our flight home to Monday instead of Sunday. It was bad enough to be flying during the championship game and we just couldn't go through that again. I also understand about not rooting for us even though we are AFC teams. Last year I couldn't root for the Patriots either.

Now, to keep this PG related, we had a great day here and did walk from the Hilton to eat lunch with the French lady. Excellent food with very reasonable prices! Tomorrow will be our first day on board - here's hoping the cyclone goes so somewhere else....

Liz

Tikiu, I think the butter is a BBBB TBailey's Better Butter Buy). We had the same stuff at the IC Tahiti. The real french stuff is at the Sofitel. Family of course I saw some pearls but nothing called.I took 4 trips to get the strand. Perals are beautiful because they never look overdressed and warm to the skin. Saw a 19.5 size today.

The secret balcony is a few doors away from my upgraded cabin so will give it a visit.

Iniations are always carried out at Motu Mahan so if anyone misses the ceremony Sept 2014 is a must.

After an awful day of rain we have had 2 glorious days. I wallowed in the water even in the rain because one can't get wetter than wet. 0wN cruiser my fav waiter is Michael. Hopefully the cyclone has missed us and gone somewhere else. No wind today. Mihael look forward to your pictures.

Miriam

ATN check in smooth. Upgrade to biz was 1025. So we stayed in coach. I may be getting too old and fat for this.

Patty from PG cruises was at airport to welcome us

She was delightful and we had a nice chat.

On to Moorea

Miriam

Miriam, just curious about the new cabin upgrades coming on ATN. Last I heard all 5 aircraft were supposed to be completed by May (we leave on the 2nd). If you remember could you ask if there is any new info on your return flight. Would love to try the new seats and tv screens:).

Thanks again, looking forward to your reports once you board.

As we leave the Hilton and get ready to board our first PG cruise in a couple hours we can't begin to thank everyone for all your assistance in helping us plan this wonderful trip. I also agree with Miriam , wanting to add what a nice touch to have Patti greet us at the ATN desk in LA . It started the trip with a very warm welcome.

Great to see the board qll hqppy and smiling. Like I feel.

It is really hard to type with the french keyboard. Internet has been the pits. 5 hours free but I hqve only been able to use a few minutes.

More upgrades in Sofitel so its my lucky trip.

Three days of sun and one of rain so not too bad.

I will qsk qbout the ATN upgrades Originally scheduled for jan but postponed from what i hear.

Family, Colin is resigned to more pearls.He even mqde me stock up on cash just in case... So ffar I have resisted but did purchqse two shell necklqces from the Sofitel;

The water has been wonderful and we have had several fish feeding sessions. The fish now have a gourmet diet of baguette, herb breq, crqckers qnd qpple ,muffins. On to the PG now.

Miriam

Great to see the board qll hqppy and smiling. Like I feel.

It is really hard to type with the french keyboard. Internet has been the pits. 5 hours free but I hqve only been able to use a few minutes.

More upgrades in Sofitel so its my lucky trip.

Three days of sun and one of rain so not too bad.

I will qsk qbout the ATN upgrades Originally scheduled for jan but postponed from what i hear.

Family, Colin is resigned to more pearls.He even mqde me stock up on cash just in case... So ffar I have resisted but did purchqse two shell necklqces from the Sofitel;

The water has been wonderful and we have had several fish feeding sessions. The fish now have a gourmet diet of baguette, herb breq, crqckers qnd qpple ,muffins. On to the PG now.

Miriam

Have fun, looking forward to your great post

Mike

Looking forward to hearing about your first day aboard! I love those shell necklaces- noticed the Gauguines wearing them and they always look lovely!

Enjoy your welcome aboard dinner! It is 10 degrees here in Boston, colder up north, sure wish I was sailing with you instead of packing winter gear to go dog sledding this weekend!;)

Archived