Cable car or taxi for views of Dubrovnik

I'm sorry to ask this question as I'm sure it has been asked many times before but despite looking for a number od days I can't seem to be able to get the search function to work.

We have been to Dubrovnik previously but before the cable car was operational. At that visit we walked the walls and then did a trip out to Lokrum. We loved the island and are planning to go back there for part of our day but would like to go up into the mountains to get a view above Dubrovnik. There are 4 of us 2 adults and 2 teenagers - would we best to do this using the cable car or taking a taxi trip? We would probably take a taxi into Dubrovnik from the port anyway as last time this worked out cheaper than the shuttle for all 4 of us.

If we went with the taxi option would it be best for us to pre-book this or just get a taxi when we arrive? What woudl be a reasonable cost for this?

Thank you for any thoughts and recommendations .

Cannot think of any reason to precook anything. In fact, we were recently in Dubrovnik and just took the local bus to town and walked to the cable car station where we bought tickets. Any taxi could take you right to this station.

Hank

We stayed there three days and had a car. You can get great views from above the old city, so if it seems easier, by all means take a taxi. However, I think the cable car would be fun. It was too windy when we were there in October, 2011.

I'm sorry to ask this question as I'm sure it has been asked many times before but despite looking for a number od days I can't seem to be able to get the search function to work.

We have been to Dubrovnik previously but before the cable car was operational. At that visit we walked the walls and then did a trip out to Lokrum. We loved the island and are planning to go back there for part of our day but would like to go up into the mountains to get a view above Dubrovnik. There are 4 of us 2 adults and 2 teenagers - would we best to do this using the cable car or taking a taxi trip? We would probably take a taxi into Dubrovnik from the port anyway as last time this worked out cheaper than the shuttle for all 4 of us.

If we went with the taxi option would it be best for us to pre-book this or just get a taxi when we arrive? What woudl be a reasonable cost for this?

Thank you for any thoughts and recommendations .

You may want to ask the taxi driver to drop you at the cable car entrance, it would be your best solution. I personally prefer taking the cable car so I can spend as much time on Mt Srd. Please do not miss the 1991 Homeland war display located in the Imperial fort while you are up there. Do remember the cable car will not run if we are experiencing high winds.

Thank you for all your replies. Looks like taxi to cable car entrance makes the most sense. Thank you again

There are actually two different taxi or cab options to consider from the main cruise ship docking area. First, as you noted, is a cab to the main gate and/or nearby to where you would take the cable car UP to the mountain top. But, if in a group of four, for about the same amount as just the cable ride, the cab will do a "PANORAMIC" tour of about an hour that gives an introduction to this wonderfully charming and historic area, plus driving all of the way up to the top, top areas. Our cost in June 2011 was 50 euro for our entire group. That gives several vantage points to see the sights from UP, UP here, much as the cable car would do. For some in our group, they don't do as well with such cable car-type rides, but loved the views from these key vantage points.

Below are some of my pictures of what we saw and did up there and nearby. At the end, they dropped us at the gate to enter the main walled areas.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 11,870 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,073 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. You can see the Solstice docked to the right side and other newer housing around this bay NW of the historic walled city.:

4DubrBridgeSolsticeHarbor.jpg

Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

Here are two additional view from high above Dubrovnik. First is the memorial cross to those lost in the early 1990’s civil war that is located near the Cable Car station at the top. Second is another view of the famed walls from high above.:

DubrMtsCrossNearCableCar.jpg

DubrCableCarWallTowers.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city where we were dropped after hour-long introductory tour, trip to the mountain top, etc.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

THank you terry for your advice and beautiful photos. We have been there before and are so looking foward to our return visit. Might even consider a land holiday there at some point in the future.

Appreciate your follow-up and nice comments. Glad you're experienced from there in Dubrovnik. Yes, a follow-up land trip would be nice in this charming area. Also consider your options nearby for Kotor. We were very impressed with Montenegro and its great future potentials.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 9,920 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,253 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

im sure this has been answered but if we also do the taxi ride to town or cable car, how do you pay for it? i understand they dont use euros? do they have an atm nearby the ships port? or just use credit card ?thanks for your help..

Taxi drivers do accept Euros as do some privately owned shops and restaurants. You can use a credit card for the cable car entrance fee. Most of the cultural and historical sites do not accept Euros, only Croatian Kuna. It is true that the Croatian Kuna is our legal currency and it will be hit or miss with the Euro.

Aside from the Kuna and credit cards, are American dollars accepted...taxi driver's entrance to cable car or the wall?

If the Kuna is the safest bet to have on hand, then where would we be able to get some once getting off the Celebrity ship? Or, are we able to convert on the ship? Have never been to Europe and am a bit confused about how to obtain Kuna's for Croatia and Euro's for Italy. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you so much-

Aside from the Kuna and credit cards, are American dollars accepted...taxi driver's entrance to cable car or the wall? If the Kuna is the safest bet to have on hand, then where would we be able to get some once getting off the Celebrity ship? Or, are we able to convert on the ship? Have never been to Europe and am a bit confused about how to obtain Kuna's for Croatia and Euro's for Italy. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you so much-

Since this is your first trip to Europe, here is my suggestion to make things easiest. I assume your cruise will be doing other stops in other countries such as Italy, maybe France, Greece and/or Spain. Right? For those countries you will need to have and use some of the Euro currency. For the cab tour/connection, they will take the euro. Use it there. Personally, for just one stop in Croatia, changing money to get the local Kuna is probably not needed, nor efficient. At many places, you use your credit card for lunch, the wall walk, etc. That is what we did and avoided that need to change money and/or have too little or too much left over at the end of the day. Does this help?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,993 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Aside from the Kuna and credit cards, are American dollars accepted...taxi driver's entrance to cable car or the wall?

If the Kuna is the safest bet to have on hand, then where would we be able to get some once getting off the Celebrity ship? Or, are we able to convert on the ship? Have never been to Europe and am a bit confused about how to obtain Kuna's for Croatia and Euro's for Italy. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you so much-

Dubrovnik has many ATM machines, you can use your debit card without any fears. If you are at all interested in buying any small items at our outdoor market, you will need cash. As I have often mentioned, it is hit or miss as to which restaurants and/or shops will accept credit cards or Euros. None of our historical or cultural sites are allowed by law to accept Euros and they do not accept credit cards. The wall will accept a credit card or Croatian Kuna only. No you cannot use American dollars here. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

• 4 years later...

Although this thread is a bit old, the title fits my question. Is it possible to simply take a taxi from the cruise ship to the top of Srd Hill and drop us off there? I want to be able to walk around to the fort and go to the museum. I do not want/need a taxi to wait with me. I could then take the cable car down.