Integrity

BB5953

Is it just me or does Celebrity seem to have a problem with this? Maybe more specifically their customer service. I have had a first hand encounter with getting 6 different stories from Celebrity as have at least 10 others that I have counted throughout other threads on this board. I don't understand why the difficulty with being honest. If a ship misses a port tell the truth as to why, if a ship is put on hold tell the people who have paid why. If a paying customer calls and asks a question no matter how insignificant it may seem it should be answered honestly. Now I have always sailed Celebrity but over the past month or so I have been asking myself if I want to support a cruise line that has a problem in this area (and in my opinion they indeed have a definite problem here). I am aware that many of the people on this board believe that Celebrity can do no wrong and I in fact am one of them or used to be, but I was interested if anyone else has had this problem on different lines. Do I expect too much by wanting an honest answer?

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="2005" value=2004>

<param name="4" value=4>

<param name="01" value=26>

<param name="18" value=18>

</applet>

Customer Service

I haven't had any negative experiences with Celebrity CS (except for slow response via email). But having worked in customer service myself, agents are usually told (by supervisors or marketing or PR) what to tell customers, which sometimes isn't "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" and the agent doesn't know that. Other times, due to inexperience, lack of knowledge, or misinformation, customers can be told things that are inconsistent or contradictory by different agents. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a lack of integrity. Unfortunately, most times it's just simple incompetence. And I don't think this is exclusive to Celebrity, but it does seem like I've read enough complaints about them on the board to raise my eyebrows.

I suspect your post was a way to vent. I've been there, too. Now, I always try to get things in writing, with names, dates and signatures if possible. May not be "binding" but it's better than my word against his/hers and I feel like I at least have a little leverage or can hold someone accountable.

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Sapphire Princess

BB593, I agree with you. My TA and I got the run around when it came to the status of my 11/29 Constellation cruise. Phone calls and e-mails were met with a do not worry attitude your cruise is a go. Next thing, it's cancelled and various offers of compensation, each decreasing in value by various individuals with Celebrity. If the powers that be at Celebrity truly read these posts, they need to look at their customer relations department and make corrections. I would rather have a Celebrity staffer tell me that there may be changes with a cruise and they will get back with me then be led on. If the excuse is that with so many employees consistency is a problem, work on the computer system to update employees on the current status of cruises.

That's probably why no one gets answers that are correct for a while. With the advent of instant communication these days, if the cruiseline puts a hold on an itinerary the word is immediately spread around on boards like these and then everyone wants an answer as to what's going on, probably before they have even decided what changes are being made. People call every day demanding an answer. It's no mystery to me why there are times when the info is not correct. I'm sure there are times when things could be handled more efficiently, but if we waited until the cruiseline or our travel agents contacted us, we'd probably have the right info.

Ma Bell - Why ask? Well to quote my original post

"I was interested if anyone else has had this problem on different lines. Do I expect too much by wanting an honest answer?"

One thing that I had not mentioned in my earlier post was that I have only ever cruised Celebrity so my inquiry was to hear opinions from others as to if this giving misleading information (intentional or not) is common on other lines. Please don't get me wrong I have adored Celebrity up until they have personally given me within the last week 6 (and I am not exaggerating) responses. Then as I read other posts I am noticing a trend; that other people have had similar responses to different inquires.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="4" value=4>

</applet>

I am not asking for a definite answer -- but I am asking for an accurate one. For example if a cruise was put on hold I would appreciate someone saying "it is on hold for a possible charter or it is on hold for revenue inquires or even I don't know but will get back to you." What I do not expect is to get a different answer from my TA or my friends or my other family members who are on the same cruise. I am not asking for much just honesty. Really am I the odd ball here in expecting this???

<param name="4" value=4>

</applet>

dct61, you are correct, we do want dialogue. That is the purpose of these boards, to vent when you are displeased with service, ports, your cabin, to let others know about what you have found wonderful about a cruise, to answer questions. We love cruising and because we are on this board, we love Celebrity.

In this case, BB5953 only asks if others have had the same experience and frustration. I have, and in a way it is comforting to know that others are as frustrated as I am...misery loves company.

At the end of each cruise, we complete our comment cards, attempting to list each employee that provided excellent service, and I can not think of one Celebrity crew member who hasn't. We are just finding it frustrating when it appears that the Celebrity employees on shore have missed that customer service training.

Others are posting similar frustration and I doubt that it is only Celebrity. Since most of us are loyal to Celebrity. is the answer a letter writing campaign to its president to express our concerns?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ma Bell:

If you don't like them, don't support them. Why would you ask someone else if you already have your opinion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a hard time supporting a cruiseline that gives "misinformation" or can't decide what they should say about a particular "problem". I'm also one that has recently been upset with the CS department of Celebrity. Unfortunately, since we left the cruise halfway through it I did not have the option for filling out the comment card. However, my review was sent to Celebrity via email.

Yes... this is the case with other cruise lines, too. I don't know if "all" is accurate, but others have the same problems. I don't think the problem is integrity as much as efficiency. What business is perfect?

I have had problems with Celebritiy customer service. They are still my favorite cruise line. Why? Because they, overall, deliver the best experinece of all the lines we have sailed. I don't expect perfection... but I still believe they could do better, and hope they are striving do do so. But even if they don't, I'm still going to cruise. If they ever cross that line that it's not worth it... then there are other alternatives.

Bon Voyage,

Paul

I'm just thinking out loud here.

From a management perspective, what is the purpose of Customer Service? To turn customer's problems into non-problems, or in other words, to make complaints go away. I can easily see where a supervisor would press a customer service representative to tell a customer "something" that will satisfy the immediate need. The correctness of the answer doesn't really matter in many cases because 1) many people won't question the authority of a customer service representative and 2) in many cases, there is no way to either validate or invalidate the given answer.

These days, with the advent of mass communication, number 2) is no longer true! It is easy for us to compare answers and catch mismatches. I suspect it will take management a while to figure that out and adjust their way of handling customer problems.

Just thinking out loud! icon_smile.gif

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Originally posted by TPKeller:

I'm just thinking out loud here.

These days, with the advent of mass communication, number 2) is no longer true! It is easy for us to compare answers and catch mismatches. I suspect it will take management a while to figure that out and adjust their way of handling customer problems.

Just thinking out loud! icon_smile.gif

Theron--you are right on on this one. Hopefully Celebrity watches these boards and will pay attention. I'm slowly getting over the disappointments of my particular Celebrity cruise. However, I'm still not over the CS problems that Celebrity seems to have. Hopefully they will starighten things out as I believe overall this cruiseline is a good one.

steveweese,

I sincerely hope this is true because a)Celebrity CS stinks so far in my pesonal experience and b) we are booked on our very first Celberity cruise 5/21.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveweese:

I have always said that if the oboard experience was equal to the customer service X would be way down my list. Lucky it is not!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lynn Obie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until 14 day Summit - San Diego to Alaska

8/1995 HAL Noordam, 6/2000 Carnival Ecstasy, 2/2002 HAL Maasdam, 3/2003 HAL Statendam, 1/2004 HAL Oosterdam, 5/2004 Celebrity Summit, 5/2005 Celebrity Infinity

Wow, I am kind of distressed with the range of responses I have read so far. Tell them what "they want to hear?" Give them a reasonable answer???

Guess what? I want to hear the truth!!!!

If the ship is three hours from docking due to fog, mechanical problems, whatever; tell me. If the inbound flight has been delayed due to fog, mechanical problems, whatever; tell me.

Do not, under any circumstance, tell me that "we don't know." At any point in time, someone knows what will happen to the flight. Why not bring the customers into the circle of knowledge???

I really don't like being told a flight will leave on time when the aircraft is thirty minutes late. Most travelers know how to check when the arriving aircraft is expected at a gate

Tell the truth.

Les

This is one of the more (most) serious threads I have read since joining the CC boards. Integrity tops the list for me. Any business, cruise line, airline, dentist, doctor and everything in between, should be direct and honest in all their answers. And at times I would expect that a customer service rep would have to respond, "I don't know." And I would want the next sentence to be, "I will do my best to find out, and call you back."

In my personal dealings with Celebrity thus far, and October will be our first Celebrity cruise, I was disappointed and more than frustrated when I read on these boards that my October 10th cruise was cancelled. It took several calls to both Celebrity and my TA to learn that the schedule had been lengthened for a number of cruises, from 7 to 10 or 11 days, and then to get rebooked on another cruise because my particular cruise was cancelled. The regular customer service reps kept saying they didn't know anything, even to my TA. It would have been refreshing to hear, "We are changing our schedule, and will be re-booking you. I'm sorry I don't have all the details yet, but please be assured that we will call you back." Well, that is my two cents worth! icon_rolleyes.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

Celebrity Mercury - October 13, 2004 - Mexico!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;13;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

I am a very big fan of truth myself. icon_smile.gif When you have significant information to disseminate to a large number of people, it does become quite a problem to manage in an efficient way.

I can't explain conflicting answers from CS reps, that would seem to be poor management.

When I was on my first cruise, we were re-routed from the Western to the Eastern Caribbean due to Hurricane Lili, and even though I knew something was up almost immediately out of port, no mention of the possibility of re-route was ever made during the first 20 hours of the cruise. After they made their final decision, the announcement was made by the captain about an hour later. Then there was a scramble to get everything switched around for the new ports, etc.

I don't know how I feel about that... I guess they wanted to avoid the hassle until they knew for sure what they were doing. For a while there, as they were adamantly pitching the original ports of call, I did feel like I was being deceived. It would have probably been an easier transition for most folks if they had known that it was seriously being considered from the very beginning of the cruise. At the same time, the on-board CS reps would have been flooded with many questions which they not only didn't have the answers to, but which could have become moot, had the original course been kept.

Theron

P.S. For the curious ones who may want to know... I had my trusty GPS receiver with me, and I was able to plot our course during most of the cruise. I can point you to the exact spot on the chart where they made the course adjustment reflecting the final decision to divert. icon_smile.gif

click to e-mail me

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

The orginal question asked if anyone had these type of problems with other cruise lines. Yes is the answer. My parents are HAL lovers (they are currently on a b/b Med cruise) and they have run into the same type of situations with HAL.

We are currently booked on our first X cruise at the end of the month and to this point have not had 1 problem, knock on wood. We have been on carnival once and it was the same story that you are all talking about here.

So I guess the answer to the orginal question is, yes - people do find these situations with other cruise lines - X is not alone!!

Shelly

I was just feeling grumpy I guess. What I meant was that whenever there is a hold put on a cruise everyone starts speculating as to what is going to happen. They start calling CS and their travel agents trying to find out what the situation is. The cruiseline probably isn't completely sure exactly what they are doing yet. If they tell you that you're going to be mad because no one knows what's going on. If they tell you they may still sail as scheduled and then they don't you're mad. The truth is everyone wants instant gratification. If they didn't put a hold on bookings while they were deciding what changes are to be made you're mad because they didn't stop booking when they suspected they may be making changes to an itinerary. Meanwhile you're calling people for answers who don't have them yet and you're upset if they tell you they don't know anything. It's a no win situation.

I don't think this has anything to do with integrity.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I wish I had it in me to try a different line. I know that if I do I will probably be disappointed, as I will be comparing it to X the entire time. The only thing I do know is that I hope X reads these boards and realizes that a majority of the people who replied to this thread have had a disappointing experience with their CS dept. and that is an area that needs attention ASAP. Just to reiterate I don't think anyone is looking for a definite answer when calling, most of us know that they might not have one at that time, but what we are looking for is to be told the truth and I don't think that is too much to ask for especially when X has quite a bit of my hard earned money.

<param name="4" value=4>

</applet>

After reading these boards for several years, I have come to the conclusion that you could take the OPs' first sentence, delete Celebrity name and add any other cruise line name.

My own thoughts are that the Customer Service Dept. has absolutely no contact with any of the other departments. I visualize undertrained, underpaid staff who have a script to go by for general questions. It would not surprise me in the least to find out that none of these employees have ever even been near a ship.

My personal feeling is that it would be in the best interest of all cruise lines to improve the quality of their customer service. It's a sad commentary to know that you can get better company info off a chat board rather than the company itself.

Kathy

Originally posted by Happy ks:

My personal feeling is that it would be in the best interest of all cruise lines to improve the quality of their customer service. It's a sad commentary to know that you can get better company info off a chat board rather than the company itself.

23_28_100.gif Well said and totally true!!

The real problem is that those of us on this board are not typical people. The average person doesn't want to know if there is a possibility of something happening, just the definite. Most companies realize this and prefer not to have to handle people jumping to conclusions and panicking until they have a definite solution that they can apply to the situation.

With that said, such a policy is not the one that should be used on people like us. We know how to evaluate options and know that if the captain said that there was a chance that the sun would go nova, we would realize that the probablity of that happening were quite low and not to go out and start slathering on the sunscreen.

It would be nice if we could ask the questions and get the real answers rather than platitudes until the powers that be made a final decision. It would be even nicer if companies realized that we can handle the bad as well as the good. Finally, it would be fantastic if the companies could realize that one answer fits all is not the best policy.

So what you're saying is we need to invent a new class of cruiser... one who is well informed, and not prone to rash reactions. Then when we call in, we would identify ourselves as such, and hopefully get better treatment! icon_smile.gif

What would we call it? Think they would go for it?

Theron

click to e-mail me

Archived