How is the DoubleTree pre-cruise?

cruise wizard

We stayed here pre cruise on December 29. Even though the room and hotel was nice. (Very pricey) I wouldn't stay again. The hotel IMHO wasn't in a great location. We ended up eating dinner in the hotel because the concierge said it wasn't safe to walk anywhere. The pool area is very nice

We stayed here pre cruise on December 29. Even though the room and hotel was nice. (Very pricey) I wouldn't stay again. The hotel IMHO wasn't in a great location. We ended up eating dinner in the hotel because the concierge said it wasn't safe to walk anywhere. The pool area is very nice

I am not surprised that the concierge would recommend patrons spend more money in his hotel. :) They appear to be running special rates right now, and I was able to get a good price on the room, all things considered and when comparing it to similar rated hotels.

I booked Doubletree for June 2013 after reading countless reviews. They are one of the best rated reviewed hotels in SJ, no matter what site you use (Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc). Many reviews discussed the location. Yes, they say that the area it's in "looks" a little rough, but they say that the looks are deceiving and that there was no cause for safety concerns. Other than that, everything else about the hotel seems to be great. They actually say that the location has a great supermarket right across the street, which is good since the DT room's have microwaves and refrigerators. Many reviews also mention that there are a few nice restaurants within walking distance.

Now mind you, I have not stayed there yet, but I have no reason to doubt the numerous great reviews. I recommend that you check those sites I mentioned above, or others, to find out more about the place.

I am not surprised that the concierge would recommend patrons spend more money in his hotel. :) They appear to be running special rates right now, and I was able to get a good price on the room, all things considered and when comparing it to similar rated hotels.

I booked Doubletree for June 2013 after reading countless reviews. They are one of the best rated reviewed hotels in SJ, no matter what site you use (Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc). Many reviews discussed the location. Yes, they say that the area it's in "looks" a little rough, but they say that the looks are deceiving and that there was no cause for safety concerns. Other than that, everything else about the hotel seems to be great. They actually say that the location has a great supermarket right across the street, which is good since the DT room's have microwaves and refrigerators. Many reviews also mention that there are a few nice restaurants within walking distance.

Now mind you, I have not stayed there yet, but I have no reason to doubt the numerous great reviews. I recommend that you check those sites I mentioned above, or others, to find out more about the place.

I made a booking for the third week in June - prior to our Jewel cruise. The rate was really good (saving almost $90 over the Caribe Hilton where I had my original booking). Nice to know that there is a supermarket across the street.........convenient!!!!

I will check out some of the reviews.

We had a reservation there a couple years ago, when we arrived they said the pool was closed for maintenence so we wanted to go elsewhere. The staff was VERY understanding and immediately helped us get a room at the Caribe and helped get a cab and the luggage into it. Based on the reception and service we had during our short visit I'd say the staff is excellent!:)

Just stayed there 1/12/13. Really nice hotel, comfortable bed, friendly staff and very clean. The supermarket across the street is very convenient. Never felt unsafe in the neighborhood. Ladies in our group went walking early in the morning up and down Ashford Ave. It's only 2 blocks away. We walked down to Budatai across from La Concha for dinner and to Pinky's on Ashford for breakfast before heading to the ship. Liked it so much that we tried to book it again for next year but have to wait till that time period opens in their booking system.

Just stayed there 1/12/13. Really nice hotel, comfortable bed, friendly staff and very clean. The supermarket across the street is very convenient. Never felt unsafe in the neighborhood. Ladies in our group went walking early in the morning up and down Ashford Ave. It's only 2 blocks away. We walked down to Budatai across from La Concha for dinner and to Pinky's on Ashford for breakfast before heading to the ship. Liked it so much that we tried to book it again for next year but have to wait till that time period opens in their booking system.

Thanks for the information. I checked out Pinky's and might try them for an early dinner and breakfast the next day. It looked like Pinky's isn't but a few blocks walk.

Thanks for the information. I checked out Pinky's and might try them for an early dinner and breakfast the next day. It looked like Pinky's isn't but a few blocks walk.

Pinky's is a five minute walk.

We stayed there this year, plan on staying there again next January. We walked to dinner on Ashford, no problems. And my friend and I went out for a long walk the next morning, as well - it's about 2 blocks to Ashford and lots of people out and exercising, walking dogs, etc. on Ashford. We did not feel in the least bit uncomfortable.

Pinky's is a five minute walk.

We stayed there this year, plan on staying there again next January. We walked to dinner on Ashford, no problems. And my friend and I went out for a long walk the next morning, as well - it's about 2 blocks to Ashford and lots of people out and exercising, walking dogs, etc. on Ashford. We did not feel in the least bit uncomfortable.

Thank you - five minutes is a nice walk - even an old fogy like me can do that!!!! Any restaurants that you might suggest for an early dinner or breakfast?

Thank you - five minutes is a nice walk - even an old fogy like me can do that!!!! Any restaurants that you might suggest for an early dinner or breakfast?

We ate dinner at Budatai, one of Chef Roberto Trevino's restaurants, and it was wonderful! It's Asian-Puerto Rican fusion, and on the expensive side, but our night-before cruise dinner is always a special occasion for us :). It's a further walk than Pinky's - maybe 15 minutes. Go to Ashford, turn left, and it's on the second floor of the building across the street from La Concha. There's a brass name plaque on the wall of the building, no big huge sign. There are dozens of good restaurants for dinner on Ashford. We particularly like Angel's Cafe (very reasonably priced, good Puerto Rican food, and Ropa Vieja, more expensive, Cuban and Puerto Rican. Sorry I can't help you further with breakfast, though.

Saludos!

There are 3 restaurants on the property. One of them is in the hotel lobby, Café Pierre, and 2 other restaurants next to the hotel in the Gallery Plaza: 1. Under the Trees (American / Creole Cuisine) 2. Silk (Asian). In addition to these restaurants, there are other restaurants nearby in Calle Loiza and Ashford Avenue. Bebo's Café is located 1 block away in the Calle Loiza, they serve puertorrican cuisine and have breakfast.

Café Pierre serves buffet breakfast every morning and they also have room service available. Under the Trees serves breakfast and brunch from 8am-2pm on the weekends.

Archived