Newbie in Labadee

referee

Although this will be our 18th cruise, we have never been to Labadee. What can we expect? Is it similiar to Coco Cay? Is there a better area to go to? We are not into water sports, but, like to sun and swim. Thanks for any advice. Jay

In my opinion, it's similar to Coco Cay, but larger and better. Royal Caribbean has made many nice improvements to Labadee over the years. It's one of my favorite ports now.

We try to get a cabana to enjoy our day. It gives us a "home" there to hang out and relax. Cabanas are pricey, but if you are part of a small group, it can be more affordable. (Up to six people are permitted per cabana.)

If you're into zip lining, my kids really enjoyed the zip line there. It looks really nice with the long run over the water. You can find many videos on YouTube if you want to see what it looks like.

Since we've generally hung out in our cabana, I've not explored the area too much to compare one area to another. I'm sure others will have useful suggestions for you.

http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/allure-of-the-seas/labadee--may-2011/lab2.html

Here is a map of Labadee. This is my most favorite port. It's perfect for a relaxing beach day. We always grab a spot on the little cove just right if Barefoot Beach (on the map). Its right in from of the kayak and equipment rental hut. It's usually quiet and it's a nice cove. Not waves....usually not any ripples either. They do a nice buffet lunch and there are some great places to go shopping for souvenirs.

Labadee is also our favorite port! No need for a cabana, unless you really want to. We usually go to Nellie's Beach and have lounge chairs set up under a tree in the shade near the water (we bring some singles to tip the chair guys). The water is so beautiful - I could stay in all day! The barbecue lunch is okay.

There is a Haitian Flea Market that is very high pressure, and makes some people feel uncomfortable/harassed, but it's easy to avoid. Behind the Flea Market is a fixed-price Artesan's Market with much of the same merchandise, but is no-pressure at all.

I loved Labadee it was a great beach day! We set up in Columbus Cove (farthest from the ship) the water was great. There were lots of loungers even though 2 ships were in Port. I really like walking around Labadee on the well constructed paths, it was beautiful. I even liked the BBQ lunch, it was much better than getting back on the ship. The market was high pressure but they had a lot of really nice stuff if you could deal with the people. Much better than Jamaica IMO. We got some nice hand carved and painted wooden goblets, small paintings, and metal work.

Archived