Question about possible price drop on cruise a few weeks out.

They have many channels from which to fill the ships. Every region around the world has regional websites with variable pricing, they have all the Interline passengers that work or did work for the Airlines or air transport companies that can fly stand-by to anywhere in the world at minimal cost and then there are some last minute passengers that are myopic in nature and think that by paying full price they will be treated better onboard. They are not reading this thread, for instance. They just book what they want at a price they feel is fair and then expect to get what they paid for. (about 8% of market)

So, there are many variables. There are a number of competing websites that can not be mentioned here that help to make a little more sense of industry-wide pricing of cruises.

They are pricing the ships so that there is balanced bookings across the line, worldwide.

Lets say it was the Allure, they have a 3 day sailing coming up that would not sell so well if it was less expensive to book a 7 day just 11 days prior.

They can always take the inside guarantees that they just added on one sailing and give them outsides and the outside guarantees a balcony. On one site I can see for instance that they have had a balcony guarantee, but do not have it now.....and so on.

There are just too many variables here for us to really be able to predict pricing and without a ship or sail date, impossible to predict!

There are just too many variables here for us to really be able to predict pricing and without a ship or sail date, impossible to predict!

I get all the above unquoted commentary.

I also never expected a concrete answer. Just a general ball park/educated guess was/is good.

Still 40ish balconies available. Over half with very desirable locations. We shall see what happens. If they were only a bit overpriced I wouldn't be typing. They're WAY too high however. :)

Thanks to all who are reading along and contributing.

I guess the only risks are

Ship selling out !

Prices going up out of your budget!

Yes, it's possible but unlikely, that's the good part. I can afford it right now but just won't accept being gouged so badly.

Although we really want to cruise (even considering B to B as well). Probably a 99.5% chance will be on 1 cruise (if not two).

Worst case? We spend two to three weeks in South Florida in the dead of winter instead of the Midwest! :) Win-Win.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see some substantial drop. Meanwhile, I'll just keep an eye on all those available cabins!

:) I love your optimism!! Just ignore the naysayers...

A couple of things to consider that could affect prices (and airfare) either way for cruises in February:

Mardi Gras is 2/10...

The week of the 17th is Presidents Day and many schools in the northeast are out of school...

I read here that the week of the 24th Freedom has a VERY large group booked... Prices could come down substantially to fill out the ship (pro) but then you're stuck on a ship taken over by a large group (con, IMO)...

I'm in the Midwest also... At this time of year, any place warm (cruise or not) is a win...

We always cruise in February and tend to book inside of 90 days... I have yet to have a cruise where I didn't see a drop and been able to take advantage of it in some way...

Is this a hard and fast rule? Absolutely not! Just my experience... Maybe I've just been lucky...

Archived