Silhouette 6294 ... give me your opinion

mystic51

First of all thank you to all the respond. We are booked on the Silhouette March 3 sailing. We went with a guarantee this time and were given 6294.. what do you think of this location? Would you try to change? Also, does anyone know if this cabin has bed by balcony or ?? Any pictures would be great!

First of all thank you to all the respond. We are booked on the Silhouette March 3 sailing. We went with a guarantee this time and were given 6294.. what do you think of this location? Would you try to change? Also, does anyone know if this cabin has bed by balcony or ?? Any pictures would be great!

It's back aft, has the bed by the bath, and you shouldn't have any obstructed views. I hope you like the bed by the bath, because all the other open staterooms have the same configuration. You should be just fine with that stateroom.

We are booked in 6295 - right across from you - and were also assigned this room from guaranteed balcony category.

The view is obstructed (you can't look straight down) due to roof extension of specialty restaurants one floor below. Check the 5th picture on this post to get an idea.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36320050&postcount=37

A similar obstruction will exist on the starboard side as well.

That said, these rooms also have extended balconies - they are a couple feet or so longer than other balconies. The picture above will also give you an idea of the relative length of balcony in these rooms.

Edited by pnsnkr
change thread to post

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, we're back from our week in 6294. Bed is by the bath--just the way I like it. The balcony is extra deep. Beyond the balcony is the roof on one of the specialty dining rooms. It is painted blue:). We were joking that we could spread our beach towels on it and get some sun! Like a big blue lawn. So anyway, you can't see down to the water, but the lifeboats are well forward of this cabin.

Now for the bad: the noises in this cabin (to me) were NOT good at night! I don't know if they were noises from the ship or from workers--there is an access door across the hall and back from this cabin. I can't say that I was hearing slamming doors though--it was more like "rolling" sounds. Very random and at many times throughout the night. I'm more of a light sleeper, but my friend heard it too.

I can't use earplugs (I get fixated on my heartbeat that I hear in my ears!!), so I did ask our cabin steward for an extra feather pillow which I put around my head at night and it allowed me to get better sleep.

Still had a great cruise, booked really late, so we didn't get to pick our cabin, but I'm happy with the price we paid! I just kept reminding myself of that when the noise woke me up!!

Terri

• 3 years later...

Just returned from a 14-day cruise on the Silhouette in Room 6294, and I can confirm what was stated above: "...the noises in this cabin (to me) were NOT good at night!"

It took me a while to identify where the noises were coming from. They were random, late at night or early morning, and not the normal noise/vibrations from the ship's engine. On the first night, I awoke to what sounded like a train going down the hallway. That began a two-week saga of loud, banging, clanking, and rattling noises that lasted from a few seconds to several minutes. I'm a light sleeper, and these interruptions were a nuisance.

The source of the noises was from the specialty restaurants located on the deck below the room. Apparently, they clean, repair, and restock the dining rooms and the adjoining kitchens at night/early morning, and the noises I was hearing are the typical ones you'd hear in a restaurant kitchen. The noises that were obvious were the sounds of plates/glasses being stacked.

I did complain to Guest Relations and "Henry" attempted to help us find a new room, but the ship was full, and the only other accommodation he could offer was in a room a few doors away from us. I guessed that we would experience the same noise there, so opted to stay where we were. While Henry was helpful, he made no effort to help us identify where the noises were coming from, or the rectify the situation. He did acknowledge that we were not the first folks to complain about noise in that room.

Bottom line: if you're a heavy sleeper, this is a great room with a large balcony and no obstructions. If you're a light sleeper, find a room on a deck above this one, or more towards the center of the ship.

Hope this info helps.

Just returned from a 14-day cruise on the Silhouette in Room 6294, and I can confirm what was stated above: "...the noises in this cabin (to me) were NOT good at night!"

It took me a while to identify where the noises were coming from. They were random, late at night or early morning, and not the normal noise/vibrations from the ship's engine. On the first night, I awoke to what sounded like a train going down the hallway. That began a two-week saga of loud, banging, clanking, and rattling noises that lasted from a few seconds to several minutes. I'm a light sleeper, and these interruptions were a nuisance.

The source of the noises was from the specialty restaurants located on the deck below the room. Apparently, they clean, repair, and restock the dining rooms and the adjoining kitchens at night/early morning, and the noises I was hearing are the typical ones you'd hear in a restaurant kitchen. The noises that were obvious were the sounds of plates/glasses being stacked.

I did complain to Guest Relations and "Henry" attempted to help us find a new room, but the ship was full, and the only other accommodation he could offer was in a room a few doors away from us. I guessed that we would experience the same noise there, so opted to stay where we were. While Henry was helpful, he made no effort to help us identify where the noises were coming from, or the rectify the situation. He did acknowledge that we were not the first folks to complain about noise in that room.

Bottom line: if you're a heavy sleeper, this is a great room with a large balcony and no obstructions. If you're a light sleeper, find a room on a deck above this one, or more towards the center of the ship.

Hope this info helps.

Have you added your cabin comments to the S class sticky? I'm sure other future cruisers in this cabin would be grateful :).