Galaxy CC Room Sky Deck

firstplacechef

Greetings, we are booked for an Eastern Med cruise in June 2006 and have booked stateroom 1241 a CC on Sky Deck, does anyone know if this room is the standard 172sqft or larger, and how much larger is the veranda. It looks to be about 1 1/2 times larger than those on the Penthouse deck. Would apprecitate any info if anyone has been in this stateroom. Got a great deal booking a year in advance!

Greetings, we are booked for an Eastern Med cruise in June 2006 and have booked stateroom 1241 a CC on Sky Deck, does anyone know if this room is the standard 172sqft or larger, and how much larger is the veranda. It looks to be about 1 1/2 times larger than those on the Penthouse deck. Would apprecitate any info if anyone has been in this stateroom. Got a great deal booking a year in advance!
It's a bit of an odd shape, but overall, it's about 2X the total square ft of the CC cabins elsewhere. 1200 (our next-door-neighbor-to-be in December) and 1201 verandas run about 3X larger than those on the Penthouse deck since they don't have the "cut" in them. And yes, it's the standard 172 inside.

Can't comment on your question directly, but I can tell you that we were in 1242, which is the last inside cabin toward the stern, and the location was super. The only thing we noticed, which was not a problem once we realized it, was that we were apparently the last cabin on the suction system, and had to hold the button down for a while to get it to activate.

Galaxy is a great ship-enjoy:)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

firtsplacechef, another couple of things to consider, having seen 1240 first hand. Be aware that this cabin is an interconnecting one with the Sky Suite next door. It will depend on your neighbours, but others here have said you can hear noise and smell smoke through them. It also has a chair rather than a small sofa as a result of the space taken up by the interconnecting door.

In addition, there is a basketball court right next to you. I haven't seen it well used on the cruises we have been on, but it may be different in the Med in the summer and you will hear noise if it is.

Not trying to put you off, but something to think about. As Bob says, it is a really convenient spot. Handy for the pool deck and straight down the stairs or lift to the cafe area and main restaurant. Oh and out through the door at the back and down to the outside sitting area. Great for a view of the wake. Best spot on the ship for me:)

Phil

Personally, I cannot figure why everyone is so "hung up" about the balcony rooms!!!!!! We are never in our room but to sleep and shower!!!!! Our friends had a balcony on Mercury in Jan. and NEVER used it!!! Cant remember their room number, but they were the LAST aft cabin on SKY and it was very nice - big balcony. We do LOVE SKY deck on the C-class ships - very convenient....not M-class b/c it is right under the galley/buffet.

Thanks, everyone. Our daughters are staying across the hall in 1243. It was cheaper to get the two rooms than getting a suite. I had not thought about the possible smoke and noise from the connecting door. I khow that 1200 is available but no room directly across the hall there.We might have to weigh that option.

This will be our 3rd cruise with X and our second balcony. We did enjoy the balcony in Alaska in the afternoons and tried breakfast one morning, but it was just too cold but lunch was nice!

I'd go for 1200. The hallway on the Sky Deck is not very long so you will still be close. You'll have a bigger balcony without cut-off, no connecting door and be more mid-ship. I have 1200 booked on Mercury for October. Overall, I'd say you are better off with 1200.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Personally, I cannot figure why everyone is so "hung up" about the balcony rooms!!!!!! We are never in our room but to sleep and shower!!!!!
If taking only port intensive 7 nt cruises, it wouldn't be so much of an issue with us, either. But apart from one recent exception on the Constellation (which was why it was our 1st Constellation trip), we've begun doing longer ones only (10~14 nts), and particularly enjoy the veranda on those long at-sea days. Sometimes it's nice to lie in the open air with or without sun, in the relative quiet of an aft cabin veranda, just listening to the wake. Sometimes it's nice to have breakfast for TWO, instead of two hundred. Lots of reasons.

Another exceptional use was having a corner FV during the Alaska run. Ditto having any of aft cabins during a Canal transit.

I'd go for 1200. The hallway on the Sky Deck is not very long so you will still be close. You'll have a bigger balcony without cut-off, no connecting door and be more mid-ship. I have 1200 booked on Mercury for October. Overall, I'd say you are better off with 1200.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Hi Phil, We booked Cabin 1201 on Galaxy's Oct. 16, 2006 Eastern Med & Black Sea cruise. Hopefilly, with the larger balcony, this is a good cabin like 1200.

Doree, I agree if you are never in your room, possibly a balcony room is not for you. For others, it's a must, which includes my DH and myself. Part of the cruise experience to us is quiet time on the balcony for coffee, lunch, glass of wine, suntan or just enjoying the oceanview. We are not big on excursions, bingo, excess spa treatments, etc. We enjoy relaxation when we cruise and a balcony seems to extend our room and offer just that. We do not even look at cruiseships that do not provide balconies. I just say everyone should try it once and then they will know for themselves. What makes a perfect vacation for one, does not for another. We were able to sail in a suite on Holland and that experience was even nicer. To us, a room is very important.

Well I'll cancel mine too then;)

This link has some good Sky Suite photos (Galaxy 1237 is an equivalent and the Mercury 1202 is a good one):

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

Phil

We;ll be on the Galaxy 1202. Wasn't able to open Mercury there (dead links?), but saw Century 1205 which should be similar. Thanks for that.

Canderson, here is the picture of Mercury 1202 which is the equivalent size to Galaxy. Century Sky Suites have balconies that are a bit smaller, so you can look forward to even more space!:cool:

Phil

Appreciate that, Phil. I guess I'd never noted, or perhaps remembered (even after two Galaxy cruises in other quarters some time ago), that they'd taken the lateral privacy thing to such an extreme up on the Sky deck. Unlike the M-Class, I note that the partitions run at full height clear to the railing. I should think that between this and their totally opaque nature, this would provide a somewhat more "closed in" feeling. I'm sure we'd prefer the sloping of the last partition down to the railing on M-Class (a bit better view to the sides) and their semi-opaque nature that lets lots of light in laterally.

Oh well, I'm SURE we'll get over it ;)

Appreciate that, Phil. I guess I'd never noted, or perhaps remembered (even after two Galaxy cruises in other quarters some time ago), that they'd taken the lateral privacy thing to such an extreme up on the Sky deck. Unlike the M-Class, I note that the partitions run at full height clear to the railing. I should think that between this and their totally opaque nature, this would provide a somewhat more "closed in" feeling. I'm sure we'd prefer the sloping of the last partition down to the railing on M-Class (a bit better view to the sides) and their semi-opaque nature that lets lots of light in laterally.

Oh well, I'm SURE we'll get over it ;)

Actually that sloping to the railing of last balcony partition on the Millennium class is present only for the aft cabins. Most if not all the side balconies have translucent partitions but do not slope down to the railing because the balcony is not deep.

Actually that sloping to the railing of last balcony partition on the Millennium class is present only for the aft cabins. Most if not all the side balconies have translucent partitions but do not slope down to the railing because the balcony is not deep.
Understood. See how spoiled we are?

Archived