KIDS, NOLA and POST CRUISE INFO NEEDED

ciship

We will have our two preteens (9 and 12) with us for our next cruise out of NOLA. What is there to do in NOLA for this age group? We have stayed down in the FQ before (DH and I) but we just don't find that area appropriate for kids.

Any ideas???

ciship,

We´ve spent about a week in NOLA last December with our then nearly 5 year old daughter. We´ve been to the Aquarium and the Zoo (try a combo ticket with a ride on the John James Audubon which takes you directly from the Aquarium to the Zoo or take the St. Charles Streetcar out to the Zoo). The Children´s museum on Julia St was a great place. Lot´s of things to do for kids with lots of experiments. Take a harbor cruise on the steamer Natchez (a real paddlewheel steamboat and don´t miss to visit the engine room). Storyland was nice too (we´ve been there during Holiday season with the Celebrations on the Oaks light festival). The Canal St. streetcar takes you out to City Park (watch the signs, not every streetcar is going out to City Park). There´s also a nice playground and some museum located in the City Park. Some of the normal tourist stuff is nice for kids too, like French Market or eating a beignet at Cafe du Monde. You can also take the Algiers Ferry (at the end of Canal St) to Algiers point (free for pedestrians). There´s a free shuttle going to Blaine Kern´s Mardi Gras World. They are making all the Mardi Gras float and are storing them. They start with a short movie about Mardi Gras and the history of Blaine Kern. You can try on Mardi Gras costumes in the movie theater (and take your photos). You tour all the buildings and see all major floats and lots of props. A sample of king cake and coffe is included. Your ticket is a nice bead (think it was $15 for adults). If your kids are already interested in cooking maybe a cooking class might be of interest. There are two schools (New Orleans School of Cooking and also one in Riverpark Mall). But these are demonstrations only, no hands on experience.

steamboats

A trip down the Mississippi on the Riverboat "Natchez" is memorable. Also, you can do a LA. Swamp Tour excursion which is fun. Most of the hotels have info and pamplets on those things.

Also, there is an IMAX theater next to the Aqauarium. I have some pics of our NOLA vacation on the link below.

Rick

Aha! Found it....on the Carnival board in with another thread about Galveston/N.O. So, in case you don't go back to that thread, I'm copy/pasting:

I think you will find many things to do in N.O. that don't involve Bourbon St. The above info is good. The Aquarium of the Americas is located riverfront, and it's a really interesting aquarium, with tropical rain forest and other great areas. You can do it alone, or combine with the river boat ride to the Audubon Zoo.

Also - the Louisiana Children's Museum is a fun things for kids, lot of interacting areas there. There's 6 Flags, located about 35-40 minutes away from the downtown area. I know the kids would love going to Cafe duMonde for the beignets...and they have hot chocolate and milk, as well as cafe au lait. Strolling down just past CDM, there's the French Market. That area is clean and fine for kids. Also - souveniers are much less expensive down in the old market area. If they should want a hot dog - don't all kids? - don't hesitate to purchase a "Lucky Dog" from one of the street vendors around Jackson Square. (Locals eat them all the time, an old tradition.)

Hmmm. Ciship, I thought I posted a lengthy reply to you. Did you maybe post this on another board as well? Please tell me I'm not loony.:D

No Cotton....you are NOT going crazy. I double dipped on the boards and I also found both of your responses.

Thanks MUCH for all your help and good info!

ciship

Archived