Island Princess - November - Hawaii

gunnywife

Has anyone taken the 15 day cruise to Hawaii from LA in November? If so, what kind of weather can I expect while at sea? Hawaii, itself, should be nice, but I'm wondering about the days at sea ie: rough seas, storms at that time of the year.

We did the Hawaii cruise in Nov of 2003 on the Infinity and the seas were wonderful, so was the weather. It was a little cool the first 2 days but after that picture perfect. We are thinking of going on the Island this november instead of the back to back we have planned now. Hope this helps....

Deb

Often a bit choppy first day or two out of Los Angeles, but usually smooths out with improving weather all the way out to the islands.

You will often hit the same chop just before returning to CA. Japanese Current, which flows South along the CA coast contributes to the choppiness.

Thanks for the info. You've made me feel better. We went ahead and booked this morning. The prices were too good to pass up. I'm really looking forward to the trip. We really wanted to go next spring for our 50th anniversary, but will just celebrate early. We were even lucky enough to use our frequent flyer miles, which was a surprise since it's Thanksgiving week. We'll go in a day early and stay at a hotel near the cruise port. Really looking forward to it.

Gunnywife: We were to Hawaii in 2001 in the Spring and in November. They were one way cruises. The ocean was the same to me both times but the main difference seemed to be less rainfall in the fall compared to the spring. The temps were basically the same. The rainfall affected the waterfalls and the many rainbows that were always happening. Seemed to be more flowers around in the Spring. I'm booked on the Island for early Jan 06 and I'm considering going to LA l or 2 days before the cruise and to explore a little of Hollywood. We're coming cross country and snowfall might be a problem. Where are you staying ?? The hotels seem to be quite pricey with my limited research. I thought I would try Priceline in Sept.

John L.

Gunnywife - we just signed up for the same cruise I believe, November 22, 2005. We were able to land a mini-suite for a reasonable price and airfare out of Providence, RI is $268.00 rt to LA.

Not sure were we are staying yet but we are traveling with my sister and her husband. We always do a 10 day or back to back in November together, plus they are celebrating their 25th anniversary and her husband 50th B-day so it ought to be fun.

I believe there is a Roll Call already for this cruise and I am on my way to sign up now. See you soon:D

Deb

Deb - Be sure to join the Roll Call. It seems to be growing and should be fun getting to know one another.

Druke I - yes, my husband is a retired Marine. Once a Marine always a Marine, so they say.

John L - I'm looking at hotels in San Pedro because that's the nearest to the cruise port. Not much of a choice, but it will either be the Best Western or the Sheraton (soon to be Crown Plaza, I think). Both have shuttles to the port and are nearby in case we decide on a cab. The prices are reasonable and we can arrange for a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I have the name of 2 different shuttle companies. Then we got the one way transfer from Princess which will take us from the ship to the airport on our return. Hope this helps.

Lynn

gunnywife, Be sure to check out any customer reviews of the hotels in San Pedro. Several are a bit older and in need of repair. We are going ti Hawaii on the Island in December and have book our room for the day before. We are staying at the Best Western Sunrise. The hotel is right next to the Ports of Call Village for some great shopping and many fine resturants. You will also wake up in the morning to a great view of the ships docked in San Pedro. We got a senior rate of $81, including the delux buffet breakfast. I was supprised to find the price the cheapest on the Best Western site. I guess these travel places are not always the lowest price.

If you plan to rent cars in any of the ports, you might want to do it ASAP as a large number of people do it and cars can become scarce.

Have a great cruise...

Stan

Stan: We have the reservations at the Best Western Sun Rise too. I like the fact that it's near the port. We're only there for one nite. Too bad you're not going to be on our 11/22 cruise. Sounds like a lot of nice people are going.

Lynn

Archived