Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

My first Carnival cruise was a weekend one on Ecstacy. It was not good. The proverbial needle was my mom ordering her favorite, eggs benedict. What she got was a crusty mess, to which she replied, "I've had better egg mcmuffins!"

We said never again.

Circumstances led us to the Paradise in 2011. We lowered our expectations and ended up VERY surprised how nice it was. No, it wasn't the NCL suite life, but we were comfortable, met great crew and enjoyed "The Chef's Table" which was great.

Not counting the Chef's Table, my other remarkable meal at sea was in The Normandie on Celebrity Summit. Wow. It was exquisite.

But, I love the ease and variety of dining on NCL. And I love having the butler bring it to my suite.

No, Carnival and Royal aren't my first choice, by a mile. But, I could cruise either and have fun, because I can adjust my expectations and I am a positive and upbeat person.

Every cruiseline is good at what they do or they wouldnt be in business.

There are alot of loyalties to those cruiselines.

I think that also comes with a comfortablity factor

I was mostly loyal to Carnival for years with a few Princess or Celebrity cruises since they would do cruises out of SF.

But a customer service Issue changed that.

Im glad it happened since we have sailed on HAL, RCCL and now NCL.

I now have a greater perspective on more cruisines

While NCl isnt what im used to with the freestyle it is a good product.

We are doing a TA on the Epic due to the fact of the great entertsinment and all the different dining venues If we didnt like it we definatly not be doing it

While we havnt experienced the NCL suite life I have heard grest things

I will say Carnival suite life is just a larger cabin IMHO not worth it

I don't think this is as true as in years past and NCL seems to be getting more positve reviesa and comments. There are a few lines that have passengers that are so loyal they find it almost impossible to praise any other line: two of these are Celebrity and Princess. of course I am generalizing, but these two lines do feel theire line of choice is just a step above any other. I like to calll them cruise snobs, but I guess that isn't very nice. Those who cruise Carnival and RCI are not quite the same and HAL seems to have a totally different type of cruiser. They are more mature, more subdued and maybe even slightly better mannered..LOL

I found older (which does not denote maturity), not subdued when in buffet lines or for ice cream, and a lack of manners when running over people's feet with scooters and walkers (never heard an "excuse me" or "sorry" for that EVER on the whole 7 night experience). Did they use their napkins properly or keep their elbows off the table? I have no idea because I spent a lot of time avoiding many of them.

While money cant buy class clothes can make you look like you have some;)

But to be honest it is all about how someone acts whether they have class or not

BTW You and I might disagree on alot of things as you are from Dallas and I am from San Francisco

BTW, guess what? I am a native Californian. Born in Burbank and spent my early years in Studio City in the San Fernando Valley. Small world.

BTW, guess what? I am a native Californian. Born in Burbank and spent my early years in Studio City in the San Fernando Valley. Small world.

OK that is funny...... SO now I can call you a valley girl :p

and a small world while being native SF I did live with grandparents in SOCAL while my mom was active duty.

I also have plenty of family down there

My Uncle has a ranch in Tujunga canyon and and was a vet in Sunland

OK that is funny...... SO now I can call you a valley girl :p

and a small world while being native SF I did live with grandparents in SOCAL while my mom was active duty.

I also have plenty of family down there

My Uncle has a ranch in Tujunga canyon and and was a vet in Sunland

Small world. Still have a lot of family in So Cal. My cuz who is my TA who I have cruised with lives in Glendale. I love my Texas Rangers but will always have a soft spot for Dodgers and Kershaw is from here. Bet you are excited for your Niners. You have got to respect their legacy with Montana and Young.

Us Texans are looking forward to getting The Jewel down here. Don't care much where it goes, I plan to just chill in the haven and relax.

Small world. Still have a lot of family in So Cal. My cuz who is my TA who I have cruised with lives in Glendale. I love my Texas Rangers but will always have a soft spot for Dodgers and Kershaw is from here. Bet you are excited for your Niners. You have got to respect their legacy with Montana and Young.

Us Texans are looking forward to getting The Jewel down here. Don't care much where it goes, I plan to just chill in the haven and relax.

Yu know you had to mention the DODGERS:mad: Just when we were getting along

IM JK while I dont like the Dodgers I do respect them and the bull dog was a Giant for 1 season

I can talk sports longer than cruises:o

First off I cant believe the Rangers. I didnt think the Giants woud beat the Rangers... I like Wash he is a great coach.

Now my Niners, I had season tix for 20+ and have been loyal before than. I remember many years either playing the Cowboys or the Rams for the NFC.

With the Cowboys it was always a great game. When the Rams went to St louis it sort of changed things. I think we are more of a rival with Seattle now.

We have been fortunate to have some great quarterbacks over the years

just greatful that we finally made it back to the superbowl.

Im just looking forward to a great Harbaugh Bowl

Now back to cruising

I so look forward to NCL coming back to Houston. SO much easier to get to than Galveston.

I also like all the choices makes me feel we are back in California a few years ago when every cruisline was there

BTW NCL doesnt have poop in their rooms like RCCL does

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36765526&postcount=1

Yu know you had to mention the DODGERS:mad: Just when we were getting along

IM JK while I dont like the Dodgers I do respect them and the bull dog was a Giant for 1 season

I can talk sports longer than cruises:o

First off I cant believe the Rangers. I didnt think the Giants woud beat the Rangers... I like Wash he is a great coach.

Now my Niners, I had season tix for 20+ and have been loyal before than. I remember many years either playing the Cowboys or the Rams for the NFC.

With the Cowboys it was always a great game. When the Rams went to St louis it sort of changed things. I think we are more of a rival with Seattle now.

We have been fortunate to have some great quarterbacks over the years

BTW NCL doesnt have poop in their rooms like RCCL does

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36765526&postcount=1

m just greatful that we finally made it back to the superbowl.

Im just looking forward to a great Harbaugh Bowl

Now back to cruising

I so look forward to NCL coming back to Houston. SO much easier to get to than Galveston.

I also like all the choices makes me feel we are back in California a few years ago when every cruisline was there

Ok will age myself here... Saw Koufax pitch a no hitter in person when I was 6. Best memory ever. #2 Watching in Pasadena Cowboys beat Bills in SB, #3 being in Cooperstown for Nolan Ryan's induction, as 1st Ranger to go in hall, (the old way with a team cap). #4 watching Josh hit 4 hm on tv. But... The first 2 were off Arrieta, pitcher for O's and my niece's husband. Ouch! I have my pic with the bat!

I actually planned my 3/20 cruise on the Sun so I would be home for opening day of BB although Rangers are away in Houston.

Ok will age myself here... Saw Koufax pitch a no hitter in person when I was 6. Best memory ever. #2 Watching in Pasadena Cowboys beat Bills in SB, #3 being in Cooperstown for Nolan Ryan's induction, as 1st Ranger to go in hall, (the old way with a team cap). #4 watching Josh hit 4 hm on tv. But... The first 2 were off Arrieta, pitcher for O's and my niece's husband. Ouch! I have my pic with the bat!

I actually planned my 3/20 cruise on the Sun so I would be home for opening day of BB although Rangers are away in Houston.

Wow you pull a Koufax no hitter........ I cant compete. No matter who you root for he was awesome. One of the greatest ever

I was at the 49er Cowboy NFC champ game when Harper beat us:rolleyes:

The poor Bills, 4th straight superbowl loss and second straight to the cowboys.

I fly back from SF on sat night before the Superbowl and trying to decide if we are going.

We use to schedule vacations around Football and Baseball games as well so i understand that totally

One of our first weekend getaway dates, to Monterey, we actually ordered a pizza and watched the Giants game in the B&B. That was her Idea

HONESTLY......

I don't care what anyone else thinks at this point. I have enough cruises under my belt to make my own decision concerning cruise lines. As it stands today, the cruise I had on the NCL Spirit in Oct 2011 was the best to date regardless of price which ranges from about $800pp(Carnival Triumph) to about $1500pp(Ruby Princess).

HONESTLY......

I don't care what anyone else thinks at this point. I have enough cruises under my belt to make my own decision concerning cruise lines. As it stands today, the cruise I had on the NCL Spirit in Oct 2011 was the best to date regardless of price which ranges from about $800pp(Carnival Triumph) to about $1500pp(Ruby Princess).

Wow Good for you

But honestly, after you have done your Celebrity and RCCL cruise your answer may change.

Wow you pull a Koufax no hitter........ I cant compete. No matter who you root for he was awesome. One of the greatest ever

I was at the 49er Cowboy NFC champ game when Harper beat us:rolleyes:

The poor Bills, 4th straight superbowl loss and second straight to the cowboys.

I fly back from SF on sat night before the Superbowl and trying to decide if we are going.

We use to schedule vacations around Football and Baseball games as well so i understand that totally

One of our first weekend getaway dates, to Monterey, we actually ordered a pizza and watched the Giants game in the B&B. That was her Idea

I cruise with my 78 yr old mother and she is as big a Ranger fan as me. But, her FAVORITE Ranger is gone, Michael Young!

Yeah, 49rs/Cowboys have quite a history. But until we get a new... Ahem... GM,...

I did cruise one time when Mavs were in playoffs. I would go to internet cafe to get scores. Wonder how much I spent on those???

One of the reasons I like the Sun is the Sports Bar. Maybe they will show some NBA and NHL games.

Here's another one for you: my father, who is deceased, was an actor and did Rainmaker with Joe Namath. I was just a kid but got to meet him. I kept the program with both their names in it.

Wow Good for you

But honestly, after you have done your Celebrity and RCCL cruise your answer may change.

Well, my mother-in-law cruised with us on princess for 22 days and thought meh.

Later she did a TA on Celebrity Solstice and said it was horrible, that the entire ship was boring - from design to food to passengers.

We'll stick with NCL ... the best-kept secret.

Your HAL cruise cost almost 3-1/2 times what your NCL cruise cost. Do you feel like you enjoyed HAL 3-1/2 times more than NCL? I'm just curious.

Sure did. HAL is my preferred line. I the ship size, the decor, the ambiance, the traditional dining cruising, teak wood promenade deck (all the way around the ship), FRESH flowers throughout the ship, plush robes and towels in the cabin, friendliest staff I've encountered and the plushest beds at sea.

This thread just highlights the the issue. Everytime there is a thread that demeans NCL on this board you can count on the Celebrity cheer leaders to jump in. The funny thing you never see the NCL cheer leaders on the Celebrity board pushing their agenda.

Probably because NCL cheerleaders do not feel the need to spend a lot of time on cruiseboards of lines they aren't really interested in.

Does anyone else notice that those that are the most vocal may not be trying to convince other's but perhaps trying to convince themselves they have made the best choice.

In my research the last couple of weeks, I really haven't found any perfect cruiseline, all of them had a list of pros and cons IMO. It really is all about what makes your vacation as perfect as it can be for you. If ---- is the most important things to you...choose this line, if ---- is the most important things to you....choose this other line. It's a matter of prioritizing what is important and what can move on down to the bottom of your list.

I don't like it when people put quotes and quotes and quotes here taking up space, so;

to mpk218, Waldos' Pepper (Barbara) and dusty road...............thank you so much for those nice comments about my post. As a veteran Celebrity poster I haven't had many comments like that, LOL!:D

As someone said, cruising isn't about food, it is about having FUN, relaxation, destressing, and just getting away. To do that with good friends is an added plus.

Sometimes some of us, definitely including yours truely, get so wound up on getting the most for our money and time, the cruise passes us by.

Not this time!!!:D

And, I am pretty sure I WILL do my first review after this cruise, trying to keep my objectivity!

Nice people on this board; not as many closed minded cheerleaders as on some other boards.;)

Wow Really:confused: I guess I need to take back what I originally said. I am surprised

Trust me. We were very surprised as well. The first night, we figured they were just letting the group celebrate a special birthday as they were all wearing the same T-shirt. The second night? T-shirts and shorts. Three tables worth totally about 24-28 people including kids. Couldn't get an exact number as they all played musical chairs within the three tables AFTER ordering their food. Yelled over to each other throughout the meal. Couldn't believe this was a Celebrity dining experience. The food and service were wonderful, however.

This thread just highlights the the issue. Everytime there is a thread that demeans NCL on this board you can count on the Celebrity cheer leaders to jump in. The funny thing you never see the NCL cheer leaders on the Celebrity board pushing their agenda.

Interesting !!!! I posted a dress code question on the Celebrity board because I was considering a Celebrity cruise, and they jumped on me like a pack of wild dogs. Needless to say, I decided I did not want to even consider a Celebrity cruise after that.

New to NCL only once before. Have sailed on CCL, RCCL (long ago) and mainly Princess. We choose because of where a cruise goes and when. Can say what I like best for each, but that's my thoughts and each person has their own thoughts as far as likes and dislikes. I see bad reviews from a trip I was on and never had the issues they had etc. Look at it this way there is no such thing as a bad cruise (just bad attitudes).

Enjoy, Laura

In my research the last couple of weeks, I really haven't found any perfect cruiseline, all of them had a list of pros and cons IMO. It really is all about what makes your vacation as perfect as it can be for you. If ---- is the most important things to you...choose this line, if ---- is the most important things to you....choose this other line. It's a matter of prioritizing what is important and what can move on down to the bottom of your list.

Well said! That's what I've learned and now make my priority. We were trying to get to platinum on CCL, and well, after looking at the benefits (or lack thereof), we decided that wasn't so important. And now, we have "discovered" NCL, and I must say, I think we will like it, and like it a lot!

This is like a debate about politics. Everyone has an opinion and no one is right or wrong. I have always enjoyed NCL because of the freestyle experience. I hate to get dressup up(even dressed most times)and appreciated the fact that I do not have to on NCL. I also like to eat when I want and with whom I want. I usually travel alone and hate having to sit at a table with strangers not of my choice on other cruise lines.

Whatever is said and done some will like some will hate. It really matters what the individual enjoys and takes it from there!!

We have sailed on a few of the more common lines, Princess, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, and Orient. IMO everyone has a best fit Choice, for us it is/was Orient and NCL, IIRC the same parent Co.

We had a 4 year break in our Cruising and when we started again choose Princess and really noticed some changes, so much so that we have really been turned off by them.

It will need to be The perfect itinerary and price b4 we will chose Princess again.

The most fun we had in the past was with NCL from Galveston and Orient from Venice.

Both of those Cruises we just more friendly, more people smiling etc.

I have the impression that today more Companies are trying to keep you on the Ship rather than in port, ie the Ship being the destination. I have noticed the trend here following the

various threads and thru limited personal experience of late port arrivals or missing

ports altogether. The trend for Mega-Ships or the Ship is the Destination Class is also

part of this.There has got to be a sweet spot of size, operating cost per passenger, and Co. profit vs passenger cost, for us Bigger is not better.

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

Ncl is on par with CCL but I still think it is a step below Rccl as well

I'm sorry but am just off of a family cruise in December on the Ruby and was so sadly disappointed at the attire people were permitted to wear to dinner in the MDR. Princess (and I have been very very loyal.... is no longer what it was)

I am going to try NCL as my expectations are different. I will never wear shorts, regardless of line, to dinner BUT I also know, I don't have to feel compelled to bring a gown either.

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

Because deep down inside of us is the high schooler who wants to root for the winning team or be on the winning team. Remember that one school who won all the championships? They tended to not be good sports when facing a loss or when they realized the competition...you know, the fourth seed in the playoffs...was about to kick their arses!

I don't know, I could be reading too much into it.

Coka;)

Archived