No cruise after drydock?

thehorrocksfamily

I've seen several people on here now post that they will never cruise on a ship that's just come out of drydock and I can't figure out why...???

Probably because the Fascination had some issues coming out of dry dock the other day and didn't end up leaving until like 2am.

What PP said and when the Carnival Conquest came out of dry dock there was one family who couldn't cruise as their cabin was not finished!! Too many issues could arise~ I would also never cruise on a brand new ship~! They have many issues also~ Give it a few trips for them to work the kinks out I say~!

On some occasions when a ship returns from drydock the cruise line doesn't finish 100% of the scheduled work. Due to this fact, on the first scheduled cruise after the drydock workers may still be onboard attempting to complete the work. In some situations the ships return from drydock may be delayed and the first cruise after drydock can be suspended or cancelled entirely. Most drydocks are scheduled for a least two weeks of extensive work. I've never been on a cruise after the completion of an extensive drydock. As another poster all ready said, it's also a good idea to wait a few months after a new ship is introduced to the fleet. It gives the crew a chance to work all of the bugs out of the ships system. Last but not least, it's also a good idea not to schedule a cruise on the week before a scheduled drydock. Workers may begin to break down certain areas of the ship to get a headstart on the drydock. They may close a certain area or restaurant or venue to get a jumpstart on the scheduled work.

Well, we've done that once (RC's Serenade in '08), and we'll certainly try not to do it again! :rolleyes:

We were late boarding, and the crew (all of whom had to clear Customs/Immigration again) were even later arriving. Our rooms had not been properly set up, and there was nobody we could even call, until well after the muster drill. What really shocked me was how filthy the outside of the ship was, coming out of dry dock. There was a layer of grime (not just the usual salt spray) all over our balcony -- railings, furniture, everything. In our case, it also appeared that the necessary dry-dock work had not been completed. The ship clearly had plumbing problems, and we encountered that dreaded "sewage smell" throughout the cruise! :eek:

Archived