Formality Aboard HAL Ships in Australia/New Zealand

From our experience, the formality on formal nights on HAL seems to vary with the destination - in the Caribbean, very few tuxes and gowns and many sports jackets. In Europe and especially on a transatlantic, a lot of tuxes and gowns, and even on "casual" nights, a polo shirt and slacks seems underdressed!

Does anyone have any idea what can we expect re formality aboard ship in Australia/New Zealand?

From our experience, the formality on formal nights on HAL seems to vary with the destination - in the Caribbean, very few tuxes and gowns and many sports jackets. In Europe and especially on a transatlantic, a lot of tuxes and gowns, and even on "casual" nights, a polo shirt and slacks seems underdressed!

Does anyone have any idea what can we expect re formality aboard ship in Australia/New Zealand?

Aussies are well know for their "casualness" - I would not expect it to be anything like the European experience. We are just about to have an answer to the same question - but for an RCL ship.

Barry

We were on the Oosterdam in November. Dress for formal nights was indistinguishable from Sun or Dawn Princess as I observed. There were a few tuxedos and very few long gowns - dressy slacks or long skirts and fancy tops were common. Not a tiara in sight! . I did see some nice cocktail outfits and most of the men wore a suit, but there were also men in tailored jackets and slacks. We did choose Open Seating, which worked really well - little waiting for a table. From reading the HAL board, most of the traditionalists who bemoan the falling standards prefer fixed seating in the upper dining room. Dress around the ship and on non formal nights was casual to resort style. Lots of shorts and sun dresses during tha day. I would expect less of this casual resort wear on a NZ cruise due to the colder weather but a similar relaxed vibe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived