Wonderful Copenhagen

Going from the airport to Central Station, then to Freeport. Will I need coins to buy tickets for the regular train and s-train? Or will the paper money I get out of the ATM suffice? If coins, how do I get them? Thank you.

Edited by isutru

Going from the airport to Central Station, then to Freeport. Will I need coins to buy tickets for the regular train and s-train? Or will the paper money I get out of the ATM suffice? If coins, how do I get them? Thank you.

You can buy a 3 zone ticket at the DSB ticket office at Terminal 3.

The price is 36 DKK.

Hi Danish Viking,

Does the hot dog stand have a name or it's the only hot dog stand there? What is the best type of hot dog to try? :)

For open faced sandwiches visit Ida Davidsen

My favourite hot dog stand is the organic one located at Rundetaarn ( The Round Tower).

That sounds crappy, my main rule is like this, is it to good to be true then it probably is.

I'm guessing that to get the same in Copenhagen you would have to double the amount payed and reduce the number of hotdogs to 1 and the volume of your coke or Fanta to 1/2 litre.

That sounds crappy, my main rule is like this, is it to good to be true then it probably is.

I'm guessing that to get the same in Copenhagen you would have to double the amount payed and reduce the number of hotdogs to 1 and the volume of your coke or Fanta to 1/2 litre.

Costco does a 1/4 lb dog or Polish plus unlimited refill soda for $1.49

But does it taste any good, in my world quality comes at a price.

I can't think of any food item in Denmark that you can get for 1,5$ (roughly 7-8 DKK) unless we are talking about fruit and vegetables or small package of candy.

A hotdog will cost around 20-25 DKK and a 1/2 litre of Cola, Fanta etc. will cost around 15-18 DKK.

That must be around 7-8$. :D

And our tax (called Moms) is 25% compared to yours 5% and then I can add that I pay the lowest tax grade in Denmark so I "only" pay 42% of my monthly salery in taxes.

But then schools and hospitals are free and our public transportation system works very well.

Edited by Danish viking

Here is the list i mentioned before (brackets are previous ranking)

I have put the this regions cities in bold.

1 Copenhagen (3)

2 Melbourne (6)

3 Helsinki (2)

4 Tokyo (7)

5 Vienna (4)

6 Zürich (1)

7 Stockholm (10)

8 Munich (5)

9 Sydney (8)

10 Auckland (9)

11 Hong Kong (13)

12 Fukuoka (12)

13 Kyoto (11)

14 Paris (14)

15 Singapore (15)

16 Hamburg (16)

17 Honolulu (17)

18 Madrid (20)

19 Vancouver (19)

20 Berlin (18)

21 Barcelona (21)

22 Amsterdam (not ranked)

23 Portland (22)

24 San Francisco (23)

Danish Viking, Thank you again for your previous help in locating a hotel. I have read through this entire thread and managed to get myself all turned around and confused. I am asking for a some help with our itinerary. We will arrive July 2nd for an overnight stay. We will then stay another night after we disembark on July 3rd. So we have two full days. We are staying at the Copenhagen Plaza Hotel. We purchased our Copenhagen Card and will have it to use the first day. What would you suggest to be a reasonable order and suggestions of things to do? The only thing I am sure we would do is wait to see Trivoli on Wednesday night since it is so close to our hotel. We would like to do a canal tour, probably twice since we can, and Rosenborg. Since we don't have a wish list anything you suggest would be great. We dock at Freeport terminal. I have the bus schedule for bus 26 but not sure which is the current way to get to the stop. Our hotel suggested we take a taxi to get from the port to the hotel because we would have to transfer with our luggage. Do you have a ballpark number what that cost would be?

I have to say, reading all the comments from folks and your fantastic advice, Copenhagen has turned into one of my most anticipated ports. I am excited to explore on our own. I would not have been able to do that without the wisdom in this thread. Thanks for being such a great Ambassador for your city!

Taxi price is around 200 DKK for that trip and free with the Copenhagen Card.

Google maps hasn´t been updated with the new port info so here is my improvised walking map from the Sundkaj pier to Stubbeløbsgade bus stop.

http://map.krak.dk/m/nDgIu

Amalienborg castle when we are at them anyway

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and and The National Museum For Contemporary Art is also very recommended if you are into both old and new art.

I love animals so if you can fit a visit to either Copenhagen Zoo or The Blue Planet I would suggest that.

Edited by Danish viking

Thank you Danish Viking. The map is perfect! It is one thing to visit places recommended by a "Top 10" type of list. However, I always like to get the opinion of someone who lives in the area. I think that is where one gets the best advice. We will add those places to our itinerary.

The Wintergarden at the Glyptotek is very beautiful and also the Greek and Egyptian exhibition are very interesting.

Just back and really enjoyed the Glyptotek. We had terrific smoked salmon sandwiches and Carlsberg special beer in the cafe. A Degas exhibit has recently opened but we were a few days too early for it.

Loved the pastries and coffee at Anderson Bakery by Tivoli.

Found the trains and metro easy to navigate.

We were surprised at how chilly and breezy it was on the canal boat ride but it gave a new perspective to the city. (We were on a open boat).

DH enjoyed the organic hot dog at the stand outside the Round Tower but he prefers the ones in New York :)

Thanks for all your help --we had a great time.

Edited by Alaskanb

Taxi question - we are planning to take the train from the airport to the stop by Nyhaven which is closest to our hotel. Is there a taxi stand at that stop or would it be best to go to central station to hire a taxi to the hotel? Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is a taxi stand but from my experience the taxi drivers don´t want to take short trips and they are building a second metro platform for the new circle line at Kongens Nytorv so it can be a little bit messy.

So my point is that its probably better to take the taxi from København H (central station) instead.

Danish Viking Thank you for all your time in answering our questions. After reading all the posts, I am confident that we will be able to travel around and see the sites in your "Wonderful Copenhagen" when we visit in just 2 weeks.

However, I have a question that I have not seen answered. My DH uses a CPAP machine to sleep. What type of plug adapter does he need? Is it the standard European 2-prong plug? It is a dual voltage machine so we don't need to worry and voltage conversion.

Your time and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

HI, just a question, we are staying ant the Hotel Bethel on Nyhavn, for 2.5 days before our cruise. We want to do a canal tour, visit Tivoli, The Round Tower, and the street with all the shops, forgive me I have forgotton the name of the street, possibly it is Strandstraede?. And most definitely Rosenborg Castle. Are these all walkable for a normally fit couple in our sixties? thanks!:D

Store and Lille Strandstræde are sidestreets to Nyhavn so there is not much shopping there.

Perhaps you mean Strøget and Købmagergade (where the Round Tower is).

All places are walkable, Tivoli is located on the other end of Strøget.