Whats the best advice you would give a cruiser?

vols_159

Lock your cell phone in your safe when you get on the ship and leave it there until you get home. 7 days out of touch with the world is bliss!

Get up at dawn and watch the sunrise.

Make friends with everyone you can.

Take LOTS of pictures. They help you to remember.

Don't drink too much.

Don't drink too little.

Say thank you like you mean it.

For heavens sake don't overpack!

You can't take too many pictures.

One thing to take is at least one extra SD card for your camera and take your pictures off the card onto a laptop or tablet nightly! On my last trip to Hawaii, my SD card took a **** and I lost two days worth of pictures. I now put a new SD card in my camera every day. They are cheap now, and if one has an error on it you'll only lose one day and not your entire trip.

Try new foods, and smile at the staff in the hall in the morning - they always smile back. Kind of a nice way to start your day.

Unless you are doing self-disembarkation, never place the shorts you plan to wear off the ship next to the rest of your shorts that your wife is packing on the last night of the cruise. You will be quite upset the next morning, when you find the bags gone from the hallway, the gift shop closed, and you with no pants to wear. LOL

(yes, this did happen to my dear husband. Luckily, a very kind man took pity on us when he found me at guest services, begging them to let me in the gift shop to buy a new pair of shorts, and let us borrow an extra pair that he had.)

Unless you are doing self-disembarkation, never place the shorts you plan to wear off the ship next to the rest of your shorts that your wife is packing on the last night of the cruise. You will be quite upset the next morning, when you find the bags gone from the hallway, the gift shop closed, and you with no pants to wear. LOL

(yes, this did happen to my dear husband. Luckily, a very kind man took pity on us when he found me at guest services, begging them to let me in the gift shop to buy a new pair of shorts, and let us borrow an extra pair that he had.)

*SNORT*

That is a great story and piece of advice. :p

Yes, I did actually snort.

Last year my husband booked our first cruise ever a few weeks before we sailed. It was a surprise, and we knew nothing about cruising. I found CC, and did a little research to help us. Well as "rookies" we did very well. CC has been SO helpful. Favorite tips that I found on CC- laminate the luggage tags, the main dining room is usually open when you board, bring a highlighter to use on the dailies, and do not be afraid to ask for seconds at the dinner table. We learned a lot on that cruise, one thing was to bring a bar of soap, we do not care for the bodywash in the shower. I found the less you stress, the more you rest- and this lead to a wonderful trip. Loved it so much we are leaving soon to cruise again. Have a great trip!;)

Just curious--why? I have the bottom deck (6) reserved on RCI Oasis of the Seas. Should I try to get deck 7? That may be my only other option.

Noise.

Cruisedeckplans.com is a great resource to see exactly what is above and below you. You can drag decks around and line them up.

You know all the stuff you want to bring on your cruise.

Toss half of it to the side and leave it at home.

You won't miss it and you will be lots happier carrying half as much.

LOL! I think packing for my husband for deployments taught me this one. Also, it taught me how to pack tight.

DML

Don't be too shy to ask for seconds of something you really like or to order something else if you don't like what you ordered.

On CCL, in the MDR, they allow you to order two dishes, if you think both look great. Do they do that on NCL? I know you can't do it at the pay restaurants, and I don't do it often anyway, but for that rare occasion...

DML

Never take anything that you can not afford to lose.

I'll add to this... Always take things you MUST MUST MUST have not get lost in luggage in the carry-on. That would include...Rx glasses, spare glasses, and glasses repair kit (seeing a trend here?), medications (Rx and OTC), ID, and other things that are hard to replace on site.

DML

I sailed for the first time without my travel alarm clock. I missed it terribly! I do not use it for alarm purposes but rather just the practicality of always having a clock in my stateroom. I was quickly annoyed by checking the time on my phone, or waking up and having to reach for my watch or phone to check the time.

Something so simple.........pack a travel clock.

Ewww...important. I'm in a DOS on Dawn. Are there no clocks in any room? Or do some rooms have them? I wouldn't have questioned that there was one, so this is one I needed to know.

DML

On CCL, in the MDR, they allow you to order two dishes, if you think both look great. Do they do that on NCL? I know you can't do it at the pay restaurants, and I don't do it often anyway, but for that rare occasion...

DML

You can order anything you want off the menu! Even in the pay restaurants. We usually order more appetizers..they arr small. My sisters boyfriend ordered 2 prime ribs in mdr and the put them both on same plate. In la cucina we ordered a pizza along witb our main dishes another time my husband wanted to try some chicken so he ordered that along with somdthing else. Theyll give you what you want, if there is an exra charge thsyd tell you.

Just curious--why? I have the bottom deck (6) reserved on RCI Oasis of the Seas. Should I try to get deck 7? That may be my only other option.

Sue

Can't be sure, but I took that to mean to make sure you're not over the dance club or something similar. Cabins are generally quieter neighbors. Having been close to a dance club before, I know that can be true. Or not, if the next-door neighbor is really loud. ;)

Also, being next to the elevator can be very convenient...or very loud, if a rowdy group is getting off it. Shrug.

It all depends on your tolerance for it.

DML

You can order anything you want off the menu! Even in the pay restaurants. We usually order more appetizers..they arr small. My sisters boyfriend ordered 2 prime ribs in mdr and the put them both on same plate. In la cucina we ordered a pizza along witb our main dishes another time my husband wanted to try some chicken so he ordered that along with somdthing else. Theyll give you what you want, if there is an exra charge thsyd tell you.

You can order what you want off the menus - in the MDRs! However, you can only order one entree in specialty restaurants unless you want to be charged an upcharge for each entree. Multiple appetizers and desserts are fine even is specialty restaurants.

Thank you! I had previously been told that you couldn't do this at the pay restaurants, so it's good to know how it really works. I'll have to pass this along to my DH!

DML

You can order what you want off the menus - in the MDRs! However, you can only order one entree in specialty restaurants unless you want to be charged an upcharge for each entree. Multiple appetizers and desserts are fine even is specialty restaurants.

Aha! That was what was missing in the first person who told me about pay restaurants. Apparently, they thought you were limited on each course. Thanks much!

DML

Last year my husband booked our first cruise ever a few weeks before we sailed. It was a surprise, and we knew nothing about cruising. I found CC, and did a little research to help us. Well as "rookies" we did very well. CC has been SO helpful. Favorite tips that I found on CC- laminate the luggage tags, the main dining room is usually open when you board, bring a highlighter to use on the dailies, and do not be afraid to ask for seconds at the dinner table. We learned a lot on that cruise, one thing was to bring a bar of soap, we do not care for the bodywash in the shower. I found the less you stress, the more you rest- and this lead to a wonderful trip. Loved it so much we are leaving soon to cruise again. Have a great trip!;)

I totally agree with you that CC has been an invaluable resource in making the most out of your cruise! It's so awesome to be able to talk to and meet new people on the board that you will be cruising with. I have read threads where people on the ship have no clue as to what is going on--for meals, ports, shows, etc., because they didn't do their homework lol. As you can see, our first cruise was on NCL's Pearl to the Western Carrib. which we loved. Enjoy your upcoming 2nd cruise, we are looking forward to ours too! Sue

Aha! That was what was missing in the first person who told me about pay restaurants. Apparently, they thought you were limited on each course. Thanks much!

DML

Yes, the official policy is only one entree per surcharge in the specialty restaurants with unlimited other courses (soups, salads, appetizers, desserts). However, asking never hurts and many CCers have reported being able to receive an additional entree without being charged extra. Just don't expect it. All that said, you are most likely to receive additional entrees in the Asian restaurant (not Teppanyaki) where the food is served family-style. I have never had a problem ordering extra entrees there.

1. Bring an extension cord-not enough outlets in the cabin

2. Bring duct tape

3. Bring a pound of your favorite coffee. Use the coffee maker in your cabin. If you don't have one, ask your steward for one. Coffee from the buffet may not be to your liking and coffee from the coffee bar may get too expensive.

4. Attend your cc meet and greet. Get the business card from your hotel director.

5. If you have a problem with your cabin, complain directly to the hotel director. Bypass the front desk. Nothing gets done with them.

6. Bring a night lite and flash lite.

7. Being plenty of dollar bills. Use them to tip the dock's porters who bring your bags to the ship and your cabin steward.

8. Make friends with your cabin steward.

9. Bring a carefree, non judgemental attitude. There will be fellow cruisers who may do things that may upset you. Don't let that ruin your cruise.

10. Question your fellow cc members at the meet and greet about what shore excursions to take.

11. Bring an insulated coffee mug. You may want to take coffee from the buffet.

12. Bring several empty water bottles to bring water on your excursions.

Wow...different strokes for different folks I guess. I just read through your 12 tips and on our 9 cruises only tips 1, 7, and 9 were used by us :D:o:p

My tips would be to fly/drive in the day before, buy travel insurance through insure my trip.com (we had to use it), bring benadryl (DH and I both had a rare (for us) allergic reactions to different things on different ships), don't let the little annoyances become big issues and just have fun with those you are with.

Thanks Sue! I hope your next trip is a wonderful time and celebration too!

Fly/drive in at least the day before

Antibactial wipes or gel, great for excursions

Extra Hat

Cleaning wipes for drawers or cabins (just in case)

Hair Conditioner (must)

Small kit of bandaids, polysporin etc

Be kind to others

Smile

Bring extra contacts.. What ever you planned, bring more

Bring all lotion, potions, makeup, tweezers and nail clippers from home

Go with the flow

:)

Archived