sydney hotel

muffin

Don't know if I am posting on the correct forum, but the departure one they used to have is gone.

Arriving in the morning at SYD, the day before we cruise. What would be best... stay near the airport, or near the port? I do not know the proximity of one to the other, nor the ease of getting to the city to look around a bit from the airport area.

We are staying 2 weeks post cruise, so this will not be our only taste of NSW!

Any suggestions of moderate hotels.... you know, safe and clean, but no luxury needed.

Thanks so much.

Don't know if I am posting on the correct forum, but the departure one they used to have is gone.

Arriving in the morning at SYD, the day before we cruise. What would be best... stay near the airport, or near the port? I do not know the proximity of one to the other, nor the ease of getting to the city to look around a bit from the airport area.

We are staying 2 weeks post cruise, so this will not be our only taste of NSW!

Any suggestions of moderate hotels.... you know, safe and clean, but no luxury needed.

Thanks so much.

have a look at http://www.wotif.com/ and if you can get something in the city it might be better, from the airport into the city takes approx 20-30 mins depending on traffic

You also can get a train from the airport to sydney getting off at circular quay cost about $35 for 2 people,when we sail we stay at the four seasons hotel right next to the OST but its expensive $377 there's must less expensive options around for your 2 week stay post cruise

Gidday

I agree with the previous posters.

There is a huge variety in Sydney.

Our family, DH, DW, DS and DD (teen and tween) usually stay in the CBD area, close to the wharf with many of the atractions either within walking distance or easy to access by public transport, rail or ferry.

We have stayed at the Rendevous Stafford which is a couple of streets back from the OPT in Circular Quay, very tidy, good if you want a snug apartment style stay at a reasonable cost, some apartments with kitchens, other rooms are more studio without the kitchen option.

Most recently we stayed at The Grace Hotel in York Street. Although further back from Circular Quay it was very well appointed, comfortable and elegant while maintaining a reasonable price. The rooms were lovely and relaxing and the staff were fabulous! We even spoke to the concierge, not usually someone we have an opportunity to engage with, and he was so nice, even arranged for our bags to been stored after check out so we could explore Sydney before we headed to the ship, and at no extra charge.

Although The Grace was further into the CBD it was close to the rail link and within easy walking distance to Darling Harbour.

As previously mentioned there is plenty to choose from, the starting point for me is what are my needs, do I want an apartment with a kitchen, what is the location in relation to where I want to go, and, if you have a car, hire or otherwise, what parking is available and at what cost.

Sydney is neat and our family want to return for another visit soon.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Ok as I see it you are flying in for 1 night before you join a cruise ship - correct?

If so then it would be best for you to get a hotel in the CBD close to where the ship leaves. From the CBD you have better access to transport and tourist areas of the city. Public transport in Sydney is ok but finding public transport close to the airport to get to the train system is difficult. I have often stayed at a airport hotel before I fly out and the most diffucult part is getting off a train and to the hotel. Taxis are non existant near surrounding airport train stations.

Even though CBD hotels are more expensive when you factor in the transport cost to and from the city you will find that the best value for money is to stay in the city.

Which Ship are you sailing on and where is it sailing from?

I am on a few cruises which arrive, leave or dock for the day in Sydney and as a result each cruise will be docking at a different port.

I have a cruise that we disembark at Bangaroo, one that we disembark at OST, one that we embark from White Bay, and another that we arrive and depart from OST.

There are many threads on this forum regarding Sydney Hotels, suggest you use the search function on both the Australian & NZ Cruisers and Australian Ports Forums.

Suggest you stay in the City for your 1st stay. Old Sydney Holiday Inn in The Rocks is 3 minutes walk from the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal). Very highly recommended moderate hotel by others on CC. Also good is the YHA at the Rocks in Cumberland St. It is a brand new backpacker place but also has standard type family rooms with ensuites.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and info....much appreciated. Yes, we are just there one night before the cruise...14 day to NZ on Jan 19, 2014. Good to know where to stay.... it is a BIG city, and nice to be close to the cruise pier.

Did find some more threads....now just to do my homework! Cheers

Can also highly recommend the Swissotel in George street, we stayed there last month for a couple of nights per cruise, and it's a block from darling harbour, smack bang in the middle of the shopping area, and a 5 minute cab ride from circular quay. It's also very well priced for a Sydney CBD hotel, especially if you book through a site like Expedia.com or hotelclub.com

Archived