So many people on my last cruise didn't know this happened..

Bran8778

Never really had a problem with Chair Hogs Down under, plenty try and reserve seats for the night time shows though but rarely get away with it.

One thing that is disappointing is the amount of people that set up camp in popular parts of the Ship and stay there all day never giving others a chance to enjoy those spaces for an hour or two.

You always see it in the Adults only areas and on our last Cruise the Viking Crown area, you had to be an early riser to get a spot looking out across the deck in that spot, it was totally dominated by senior folk reading and knitting all day long.

On the Breeze 1/13/13 was enforced especially on the Serenity deck, saw them remove items all day.

This brings me great joy :D We're on the Breeze in 76 days, and I have been voraciously reading all the reviews. There is such a mixed response regarding whether or not this is actually being enforced, so thanks for the info.

My vote would be 5, 10 maximum.

Five minutes doesn't even give a person time to go to the restroom, or walk over to get a drink. Leaving your things on the lounger you are using while you go get something, go to the restroom, or swim is not chair hogging.

Five minutes doesn't even give a person time to go to the restroom, or walk over to get a drink. Leaving your things on the lounger you are using while you go get something, go to the restroom, or swim is not chair hogging.

absolutely right. if you are on deck and enjoying the amenities of the pool, water park, or hot tubs and you have your personal belongings on a chair while you are doing these things that isn't chair hogging, as much as others may get irritated. same with running to get a drink, or go to the restroom, or getting a sandwich at the deli.

chair hogging is putting a carnival towel on a chair and then not being anywhere around, sometimes for hours. or leaving just a towel and going in for a two hour lunch. a little common sense tells you who is actually using a chair in lieu of someone who is just thinking about using a chair in a few hours.

the problem isn't a person, a couple, or a small family unit. the problem is little joey being sent up to the deck at 7am with 30 towels to reserve chairs for mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, grandparents, and the odd friend or two. and then these folks saunter in at their leisure after breakfast and expect their group space to be all ready and waiting. but, sadly, won't happen if i'm on the ship.

My observation is that the worst chogs are those that claim the prime space early, keep it all day and actually use the space rarely or not at all. A 40 min restriction is all that's needed to remove any profit from their action. Once everyone on the boat that want's to take advantage of the pool area knows they don't need to save a space? Problem solved! Going down to 5-10 minutes will inevitably piss off some people who did nothing more wrong than spend an extended time in the restroom or deal with a unexpected kid issue or any in long list of other issues that could occupy someone with no intention of "saving" a seat. 40 min hits that more than a half hour, less than an hour sweet spot.

30-40 minutes is a fair time to hold a chair.

If you intend to be away from the lounger for extended periods in the Pool or Hot Tub then a fair thing would be to get a chair further back out of the way.

I do not agree with people that want to hog a chair while they go to the Buffet for Lunch, that is a time of the day that should free up some seats and create some sort of rotation for others to have a chance to get a decent spot for a couple of hours.

30-40 minutes is a fair time to hold a chair.

If you intend to be away from the lounger for extended periods in the Pool or Hot Tub then a fair thing would be to get a chair further back out of the way.

I do not agree with people that want to hog a chair while they go to the Buffet for Lunch, that is a time of the day that should free up some seats and create some sort of rotation for others to have a chance to get a decent spot for a couple of hours.

Just like the ones who say they get up early to claim a chair. Go to breakfast, than the gym, and then return to their chair.

I've never had chair hog problems ....last cruise on Glory (3 night) chogs were not a problem

They do have the signs up about the 40minute rule...I saw a few tags on chairs with towels....

I think just having the sign/tags might stop the worst hoggers from being so bold.

CHOGS hehehe I like that! :)

Funny how the areas I read about there being issues a lot of the time is with the ADULT area. Adults. Hmmmm:confused:

ADULTS acting like stingey children. No wonder where the kids get it from sometimes :rolleyes:

I love love LOVE the idea of during the muster part of the trip they go over a few "housekeeping" details including chair hogging. They could go over many other things too just keep it short and too the point. I also think on carival TV they could list some on the "housekeeping" details.

We often pick an out of the way chair for all 4 of us to put our stuff if we plan to swim or something. Another good suggestion to CCL would be to put in open cubbies/lockers for belongings. My kids are old enough to swim semi unattended so we often sit lido area on the higher deck to keep an eye out yet give others the pool side chairs so we keep the kids towels and such with us but its a long (sometimes chilly) walk to get the towel. If they had cubbies (similar to what playland @ Mc D's or other places have) you could store your towel and other belongs in there and not be hogging a chair/table/what have you.

I love love LOVE the idea of during the muster part of the trip they go over a few "housekeeping" details including chair hogging. They could go over many other things too just keep it short and too the point. I also think on carival TV they could list some on the "housekeeping" details.

We often pick an out of the way chair for all 4 of us to put our stuff if we plan to swim or something. Another good suggestion to CCL would be to put in open cubbies/lockers for belongings. My kids are old enough to swim semi unattended so we often sit lido area on the higher deck to keep an eye out yet give others the pool side chairs so we keep the kids towels and such with us but its a long (sometimes chilly) walk to get the towel. If they had cubbies (similar to what playland @ Mc D's or other places have) you could store your towel and other belongs in there and not be hogging a chair/table/what have you.

Love the cubby idea!!!

All you have to do is...if to many chairs are being hogged and you need a spot wait awhile and if no one claims one get rid of the stuff on the chair, what are the people gonna say even if they do come back...and if they do say something say idk the chair was available when I got here go complain to someone who cares....as simple as that!!!!

The muster drill is a safety drill. I don't believe it should be used for "housekeeping details". During the muster drill everyone is smashed together and not in a comfortable way. The quicker everyone can get out of there the happier everyone will be.

I do think your cubby idea is a very good one. Usually I don't bring anything (including a towel) because there is nowhere to put it (except to take up a lounger and I don't want to do that). Out in the Caribbean it is usually warm enough to drip dry (or else why go swimming in the first place). If I had some place to put things, then I would bring my towel and deck shoes.

All you have to do is...if to many chairs are being hogged and you need a spot wait awhile and if no one claims one get rid of the stuff on the chair, what are the people gonna say even if they do come back...and if they do say something say idk the chair was available when I got here go complain to someone who cares....as simple as that!!!!

How would you feel if someone did that to you?

Most recent copy of Tuntimes from John Heald's Blog, States "DECK CHAIRS

In consideration of your fellow guests, the reserving of deck

chairs is not permitted. Towels and personal items left on chairs

unattended for 40 minutes or more will be removed by the pool

attendants and brought to the Towel Hut for safekeeping until

you pick them up."

UNFORTUNATELY, this is only in the LAST copy during a 4 day on the Sensation, a ship which I'm noticing does not have these problems.

Yes, they're on their way of making it known more. but not when and where it apparently needs to be.

People just need to be considerate of others. When I'd go up to the lido deck I was usually by myself. If there were a bunch of seats open I'd put my bag on the other so when my husband came out (usually right after me) he'd have somewhere to sit by me. If he wasn't planning on staying there I'd give up that seat to someone else. I tried to sit in a position in the same spot daily so my 9 year old who was at Camp Carnival knew where I was at and could find me. It worked really well. I did move around to allow others to sit by each other. For instance an older couple came out to lounge and there was an empty seat next to me. She sat there and he sat two rows back. I asked him if he would want to sit in my seat and I would move to his so they could be together......I figured if my husband was out there I would want to sit by him.

Sounds about right to me.

The muster drill is a safety drill. I don't believe it should be used for "housekeeping details". During the muster drill everyone is smashed together and not in a comfortable way. The quicker everyone can get out of there the happier everyone will be.

Since they have a captive audience, maybe they could advertise the "gold by the inch" sale during the safety drill.;)

I do understand it's a safety drill and no it does not need to be done when everyone is smooshed together on deck. But they do have you meet prior at your muster station before you go outside.

They do an excellent job promoting other things in the Fun Times and over the intercom :mad: during the cruise. I love being woken up to all of that crap. But to take a quick one time reminder about rules and other courtesies does not sound like too much. Even if they had a short reminder that played on the TV.... of course this is only my opinion

What's also ridiculous in the second photo is that there are stacks of deck chairs on the deck above. Wonder why those weren't set out for passenger use?

The group I sail with would rather sit on the deck above the Lido than by the pool. Easier to talk without the loud music and you can still see what is going on if you want to participate. Also, we get out there fairly early (9-10) and if the chairs have not been set out we just get them for ourselves. Also, later in the day, when you are tired of being in the sun all day, there is plenty of shade and always plenty of chairs to be found.

we have made a habit of scouting around for chairs and sometimes its the prime spots that just seem to have hogging going on! but occasionally you just can't find an open chair, so we move stuff down and move stuff down to acquire the chair for our use, funny thing is we don't camp out all day on the lido so the times we have done this no one ever even showed up to claim there stuff while we were using them!! c'mon people get a clue

AIC!!! = Ass in chair!!

Archived