1 Day in Miami ~ What to do?

QTPieRye

For our next cruise, DH has mentioned several times that he would like to go down the day before we depart on the Liberty and experience Miami for the day or at least go out on the town Saturday night (I think he watched too much Miami Vice growing up!!!) LOL

Although we are in our early 40's, we consider ourselves adventurous, love to dance, and do enjoy the nightclub scene! Even on the cruise ship we tend to close the nightclub down and can outlast the 20 somethings!

Any ideas on a fun night out in Miami and/or hotels close to the Port?

For our next cruise, DH has mentioned several times that he would like to go down the day before we depart on the Liberty and experience Miami for the day or at least go out on the town Saturday night (I think he watched too much Miami Vice growing up!!!) LOL

Although we are in our early 40's, we consider ourselves adventurous, love to dance, and do enjoy the nightclub scene! Even on the cruise ship we tend to close the nightclub down and can outlast the 20 somethings!

Any ideas on a fun night out in Miami and/or hotels close to the Port?

I would definitely recommend trying out South Beach. :cool:;):D

Miami Beach and South Beach are two different areas and approx $20.00 cab ride (each way). South Beach will have plenty of nightlife but Miami Beach is closer to the port. We've stayed at Miami Beach at the Intercontinental for about $120 a night, it's close to a lot of decent restaurants and if you're there around 4:00 pm you can to to Bayside Marketplace and watch the ships sail.

Bayside in Miami Beach is nice to walk around, so is South Beach, but there is a difference between the two.

HTH

Miami Beach and South Beach are two different areas and approx $20.00 cab ride (each way). South Beach will have plenty of nightlife but Miami Beach is closer to the port. We've stayed at Miami Beach at the Intercontinental for about $120 a night, it's close to a lot of decent restaurants and if you're there around 4:00 pm you can to to Bayside Marketplace and watch the ships sail.

Bayside in Miami Beach is nice to walk around, so is South Beach, but there is a difference between the two.

HTH

Hi I think there is some confusion here. South Beach is in Miami Beach. The Bayside Marketplace is in Miami...as is the Intercontinental, if you are taking about the one very close to Bayside. Biscayne Bay is between Miami and Miami Beach. The port is somewhat in between the two but closer to the Miami side of Biscayne Bay.

We've stayed in Miami Beach, just a little bit north of South Beach and it was an easy walk to the heart of the art deco area. There is a very happening nightlife there.

We've also stayed at the Intercontinental by Bayside and there wasn't much fun nightlife other than some chain restaurants/bars at Bayside. We did enjoy a boat tour around the Biscayne Bay that we booked at Bayside.

I would definitely consider South Beach, in the art deco area if I was looking for nightlife.

We live in South Florida and if I were to recommend Bayside or South Beach, it would be South Beach! If you are looking for a fun day/night before the cruise and if you are ok with the transportation $$ to the port. There are some very cool old, art deco hotels there, some right across from the beach or just off the main strip...... maybe go online and check out the area......Just my opinion!! :rolleyes:

We have stayed in Miami pre cruise a few times....we always stay at the Embassy Suites...transportaion from the airport,free happy hour from 5:30 - 7:00 with drinks and snacks, great hot breakfast in the morning and a shuttle to the port for $10.00/person and take a taxi to South Beach, we always have a good time day or night there! Enjoy your cruise!

another vote for South Beach. Stay at the Beacon if you want to be on Ocean Drive. A couple blocks off ocean is 'The Hotel' with a rooftop pool and rooftop bar. Classic southbeach. Oh, and the beach is nice...several clubs, Nikki Beach is associated with the Beacon, you can party outside. Tons of good restaurants - just take your wallet, Ocean drive is expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I think there is some confusion here. South Beach is in Miami Beach. The Bayside Marketplace is in Miami...as is the Intercontinental, if you are taking about the one very close to BaysideWe've stayed in Miami Beach, just a little bit north of South Beach and it was an easy walk to the heart of the art deco area. There is a very happening nightlife there.

We've also stayed at the Intercontinental by Bayside and there wasn't much fun nightlife other than some chain restaurants/bars at Bayside. We did enjoy a boat tour around the Biscayne Bay that we booked at Bayside.

I would definitely consider South Beach, in the art deco area if I was looking for nightlife.

Thanks for the clarification between Miami and Miami Beach. We've stayed in South Beach and Miami, I think that first timers need to be aware that if you stay in South Beach/Miami Beach, you are a good distance from the port/Miami. But the nightlife is much more fun in South Beach/Miami Beach.

After another snowy week in the Mid-Atlantic, I'd take either for a one night stay before cruising. :-)

HTH

Bayside is not in Miami Beach

• 2 months later...

HTH

How did you manage to get the Intercontinental for $10 a night?

Best place to get a good Halibut steak? We are staying at the Holiday Inn before our cruise in May. (Biscayne Bay one)

Anyone?

For those that have been there, do you feel you need to make reservations for dinner or do you just wing it. We will be there on a Tuesday night if that matters.

Think that all depends on the restaurant. But I would always side with reservations if they take them.

Thanks for the clarification between Miami and Miami Beach. We've stayed in South Beach and Miami, I think that first timers need to be aware that if you stay in South Beach/Miami Beach, you are a good distance from the port/Miami. But the nightlife is much more fun in South Beach/Miami Beach.

. :-)

South Beach is NOT a long way from the port. It is actually quite close to the POM, right over the MacArther Causeway.

My friend and I are staying at The Beacon in June. The reviews on Trip Advisor looked really good so I'm pretty excited.

Can anyone advise on dress code for South Beach? Mainly curious about the nightlife and dress code associated with it.

Archived