Latest reviews on Celebration - Noro on board?

Grez

we were on the 10th jan-17th and we had to leave and go to a hotel for the last day the ship was very clean i see the problem is people not washing hands and not sanitising them many times after going to the toilet etc i cant fault Thompson for that

we were on the 10th jan-17th and we had to leave and go to a hotel for the last day the ship was very clean i see the problem is people not washing hands and not sanitising them many times after going to the toilet etc i cant fault Thompson for that

Isn't she in Egypt at the moment? Maybe it's more likely to be Egyptian tummy if people have gone out on trips and eaten in Hotels/restaurants etc in Egypt - I expect the standards there are not always as clean as on the Celebration

Yes it is Noro virus. Here is a copy of a post I did last week. These neighbours returned on the 17th Jan.

icon1.gifNorovirus outbreak?

My neighbours have just returned from Celebration (Thursday). They and clearly others too had been ill and apparently on the day of departure all passengers (at least those travelling home - don't know about any b-2-b ones) were taken to a hotel quite early in the morning to await transfer to the airport to allow them to do a deep clean on the ship.

Given the prevalence of this virus all over the country, it's not surprising someone has come on board with it - it's the biggest wonder any ship escapes (schools and hospitals don't!) but I do feel sorry for anyone affected. :( Hope their efforts to get rid of it are successful - hopefully it may be one of the silver linings with this cold weather reducing the incidence of this horrid bug. But you can't fault Thomson's approach to hygiene as they take it very seriously. Trouble is we've all witnessed passengers that subvert their best efforts!

they were trying to keep a lid on it on the dream on the last week we were on

they were serving you at the buffet....you couldn't help yourselves....no linen napkins, paper ones instead, they sanitise you at the gangway, on and off...the captain wasnt shaking hands with anyone during the gala night and every anouncement was acompanied with the 'please use the hand gels often' footnote

I noticed/was told that there had been a few down with illness

Witnessed that numerous times last year on the Dream also passengers lifting food with their hands.Although ultimately the passengers should no the script regarding hygiene and should be using the gel but it wasnt really enforced as frequently the sanitising stations were unmanned unlike OV2

Witnessed that numerous times last year on the Dream also passengers lifting food with their hands.Although ultimately the passengers should no the script regarding hygiene and should be using the gel but it wasnt really enforced as frequently the sanitising stations were unmanned unlike OV2

If someone has not washed their hands properly then handles the tongs the virus will be on the tongs :eek: and spread from passenger to passenger.

For norovirus, hand washing is more effective than alcohol gel.

I am a bit obsessive about this and will not touch door handles, hand rails etc if I am going to eat. It is a bit of a challenge when leaving the loo after washing my hands. You will recognise me. I am the one with a paper towel or tissue wrapped around my hand to avoid contact with the door handle :D

We also noticed a lot of 'no hand washing ' on the dream in sept, my other half saw lots of gents not washing hands coming outo toilet!!!!! Not good! Hopefully the message will get through, the sanitizer is for your benefit, it's not there to hinder you, but to help stop norovirus. Not a pleasant part of any body's holiday being ill ,here's hoping we have an illness free cruise in feb on celebration

If someone has not washed their hands properly then handles the tongs the virus will be on the tongs :eek: and spread from passenger to passenger.

For norovirus, hand washing is more effective than alcohol gel.

I am a bit obsessive about this and will not touch door handles, hand rails etc if I am going to eat. It is a bit of a challenge when leaving the loo after washing my hands. You will recognise me. I am the one with a paper towel or tissue wrapped around my hand to avoid contact with the door handle :D

Good point Little Nell. I agree it doesn't matter how particular you are about washing your hands then having to open the door afterwards completely thwarts your best sfforts. Some of the toilets had gel dispensers outside of the door into the toilets which I think is a good idea (although niot as effective as washing as you say.) Better still would be to have doors which opened automatically then you don't need to touch the handle at all.

Well there`ll be no stopping the virus then.

.I`d expect anyone thats been to the toilet to not only wash their hands after but then to use the gel.

As we all know the hand gel does not kill norovirus and hand washing is the best solution.

Question - do passengers refuse to use the hand gel because they know it does not work or because not using the gel is evidence of that persons indifference to cleanliness? :eek:

Do people who use the gel always wash their hands? or by using the gel do thay think this means they don't have to bother about toilet hygiene :eek:

the public toilets should always have a supply of tissues for opening doors and a bin outside to plonk them in.

anecdotal evidence points to the elderly passengers being challanged in the hand washing stakes. Is this true ;)

I don't like using the tongs in the buffet so the only solution is to arm yourself with cutlery. Not good for stuff like soup though. Perhaps carrying tissues around with you?

I once suggested everyone should have a fresh set of tongs, that went down like a lead balloon.

Or is the main dining room just so much more hygenic?

Well there`ll be no stopping the virus then.

.I`d expect anyone thats been to the toilet to not only wash their hands after but then to use the gel.

Sadly, Jim, I have seen with my own eyes many people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet.

I believe men are the worst offenders :eek::D (not witnessed personally).

Sadly, Jim, I have seen with my own eyes many people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet.

Too true Nell

I believe men are the worst offenders :eek::D (not witnessed personally).

Probable true also but not having monitored the ladies I cant say for certain :D

I have heard people say they don't use the hand gel as it makes their hands dry :rolleyes:

I believe I have read something about hand gel not actually being any good at all and that you should wash your hands for 20 seconds under running water.

On the Eclipse they had doors that opened automatically, even the actual cubicle, which could have been embarrassing, as the first time I tried to pull it shut, it sprung open, much to the amusement of those waiting outside :D:D

I think as well that the non hand washers just think it won't happen to them. They think they are clean,,and cannot accept that they may carry these germs on their hands. I also open the toilet doors with a paper towel,,I'm quite obsessed with germs sometimes. You'd know me if you saw me on a ship..I'm the one that glares at non hand washers and makes very loud comments about how bad that is!! I'll get slapped one of these days. I think it's disgusting anywhere not just on a ship or in a hotel.

As we all know the hand gel does not kill norovirus and hand washing is the best solution.

Well it is true that a alcohol hand gel does not kill norovirus, but there are hand-gels that are effective. If Thomson are serious about stopping norovirus, then they should be using one of those.

One of the biggest transporters of germs worldwide is paper money. I've always wondered about the spreading of germs from all the different currencies from different countries that are used on cruise ships.

Perhaps money laundering would be a good idea :D

They always seem so strict when you are getting on and off, maybe there should be a "loo attendant" outside each loo ( only public ones !!! ) to make sure everyone uses gel as i have watched and half def do not wash their hands !!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Here here Dreamgirl, I had a go a few times at blokes not washing hands and they just laugh at you and walk away.

Here here Dreamgirl, I had a go a few times at blokes not washing hands and they just laugh at you and walk away.

Hi grab1 , yes makes you so angry ! !!! Thinks need to be stricter I'm afraid and all because of a selfish minority :mad::mad::mad:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

One of the biggest transporters of germs worldwide is paper money. I've always wondered about the spreading of germs from all the different currencies from different countries that are used on cruise ships.

But there is no money on Thompson ships, you pay with your card, but if the staff have germy hands..............

But there is no money on Thompson ships, you pay with your card, but if the staff have germy hands..............

Yeh but if the guests have been ashore.....

I know my sister got very ill on a Nile cruise and she thought she picked up the bug from handling the money. It was in the days before alcohol gel.

Isn't she in Egypt at the moment? Maybe it's more likely to be Egyptian tummy if people have gone out on trips and eaten in Hotels/restaurants etc in Egypt - I expect the standards there are not always as clean as on the Celebration

An estimated 1.9 million people in the UK have been affected by norovirus this winter. A 63% increase on last year. 150,000 suffered over the festive season alone. The bug has swept the country, closing dozens of hospital wards, schools and work places. It is more likely that people have brought it on board. Perhaps not realizing that they were carrying the bug. Others may not have been entirely honest when filling in their medical questionnaire during the embarkation procedure. Then there are the people who do not wash their hands and the ones who refuse to use the hand gel. I noticed on a few occasions when the gel dispensers in some areas were not supervised passengers were just ignoring them and walking straight in to the restaurants.

Archived