Azamara Journey, Athens - Dubai (Oct 2013)

Dylandude

We are thinking of booking this cruise, however one of the things that concerns me, is, once the ships enters the Gulf of Aden and with the threat of Somali pirates will the ship be blacked out every night, and the outer decks out of bounds?

This is what happened on Celebrity Solstice last November whilst making the same journey towards Dubai.

It's actually not the Somalian pirates that worry me, it the lack of access to the open decks, and the black outs that could limit the enjoyment of the cruise.

Any thoughts?

Reports about the voyage this Autumn would lead me to believe yes, certainly I am on the next leg and am expecting there to be black out as we come back out of Dubai

I do not think it will hugely impact on my enjoyment of the cruise, I am only rarely on open decks after dark or on our balcony but I appreciate for some this is their deal breaker

I would not expect Azamara to have any different arrangements from its last trip (when it did have a pirate warning) and from what applies on Solstice

Thanks for your thoughts uktog, last year we cruised on Solstice's Dubai -Singapore leg, and like you we live in one of the UK's more northerly regions.

One of my wife's great pleasures was walking every night to the Sky lounge with the warm breeze in her face,

I'll break it gently to her about the probable restrictions

Thanks for your thoughts uktog, last year we cruised on Solstice's Dubai -Singapore leg, and like you we live in one of the UK's more northerly regions.

One of my wife's great pleasures was walking every night to the Sky lounge with the warm breeze in her face,

I'll break it gently to her about the probable restrictions

And let her walk twice on those nights when she will be able to :D

We were on the Quest November 2009 (Athens to Singapore) and the ship was certainly blacked out after leaving the Suez Canal for several days. Also you were asked not to open cabin curtains. It did not affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all.

Reports about the voyage this Autumn would lead me to believe yes, certainly I am on the next leg and am expecting there to be black out as we come back out of Dubai

Where would the ship possibly be blacked out between Dubai and Singapore? Just wondering because we normally go running early in the morning when it is still dark in many parts of the world.

Where would the ship possibly be blacked out between Dubai and Singapore? Just wondering because we normally go running early in the morning when it is still dark in many parts of the world.

Until the ship is clear of land of the Arabian peninsula/Oman, its been discussed before and indeed Journey had an issue in this area this year.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5093

Therefore you may well have to replan your morning running as decks are likely to be closed off completely if the security advisers believe restrictions need to be in place. I think it is not a question of possibly but very likely

Archived