Jewel tipping - When to change amount?

2Oregonians

Except they ARE optional. That's another fact for you.

Nowhere in this FAQ are they called optional. There used to be tips that were fully optional, but suggested. Then they implemented a DSC that was called "optional". Now it's evolved into something similar to a resort charge and are considered part of the cruise cost.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team.... Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.... How much is the charge? Onboard service charges are additional.... A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.... Are service charges across the board for all guests? All guests 3 years or older.... How do I prepay my service charges? Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation.... At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added? They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.... Why would I prepay my service charges? The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.... If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable? Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.... If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line.... We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently.... However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner.... Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Sorry, you don't get to decide what are facts. The fact is the DSC is the tip or gratuity paid to the crew by the passengers. If you knew the history of the DSC you would understand. DSC always was and will be a tip. By the way, saying end of story doesn't make you right, hehe.

You're right. I didn't decide what was a fact.

It simply 'was'.

I'm fully cognizant of the origins of the DSC. I also stay at several resorts each year which have Resort Fees.

NCL has no obligated tipping. That much is made clear on their website.

Completely separately, they DO have a $12/day/pp service charge.

One day maybe, people will start realizing that the two things are two things for a reason.

It's like the difference between thievery & robbery....many people use them as synonymous, and yet they aren't.

gratuity, tip, service charge are one and the same... ships do not have a resort charge such as the hotels do.. if you prepay your service, tip, gratuity,,, but are getting poor service go to guest relations office and explain why ou wish to alter the tip, gratuity, dsc... .. if you wish to leave additional money for outstanding service, that is entirely up to you personally to hand the tip to the person you wish to increase from the dsc,...

I can't believe how some people put so much time & effort to complain about a $12 fee per day to be served 3 meals and have your room cleaned

If you were to eat out at a resturaunt for those 3 meals would'nt you leave a tip? Stop complainign and go on a different cruise line (if you can find one that you do not have to tip on)

Ha, tipping is optional, except on bar service. Never understood that. As when there's a tip line I usually throw $1 on that also.

But, back on topic. My first cruise I was young and was totally not prepared for $70 more and had no clue about this charge until the end. My cheapo friend cut his so I cut mine and I left $50 cash (so the steward wasn't complaining) After 1st cruise I read about the gratuity and had more understanding how it affected many people not just the room steward and have never touched it since. Now when I plan a cruise, it includes gratuities in our total cost.

Ciao,

J

Ha, tipping is optional, except on bar service. Never understood that. As when there's a tip line I usually throw $1 on that also.

But, back on topic. My first cruise I was young and was totally not prepared for $70 more and had no clue about this charge until the end. My cheapo friend cut his so I cut mine and I left $50 cash (so the steward wasn't complaining) After 1st cruise I read about the gratuity and had more understanding how it affected many people not just the room steward and have never touched it since. Now when I plan a cruise, it includes gratuities in our total cost.

Ciao,

J

If the bartenders and waitstaff weren't tipped for each drink then you would never see them. They are not included in the DSC. This is good or bad depending on how you look at it!:)

You're right. I didn't decide what was a fact.

It simply 'was'.

I'm fully cognizant of the origins of the DSC. I also stay at several resorts each year which have Resort Fees.

NCL has no obligated tipping. That much is made clear on their website.

Completely separately, they DO have a $12/day/pp service charge.

One day maybe, people will start realizing that the two things are two things for a reason.

It's like the difference between thievery & robbery....many people use them as synonymous, and yet they aren't.

It's fascinating that she can be so insistantly incorrect.

'Course, it's also fascinating that you and are on the same side of an issue, doncha think?

I sure wouldn't wanta be her cabin steward.

Ciao,

J

We've always added something for bar service on the tip line too. But then I read a post on Cruise Critic that said that, if you add it to the check, it goes into the pool for bar staff, and you should leave cash if you want it to go to a specific bar tender. Does anyone know if that's true?

That is not fair to have this list. I like the way Royal Caribbean does their tipping because every time I go on a cruise like Carnival or any other cruise line I take my tipping off. But on NCL I tip at the table after I have eaten. And on the last day I tip everyone. I could never understand why service was not good and why I got a funny looks at the end of the cruise and now I know why service is better on Royal.

That is not fair to have this list. I like the way Royal Caribbean does their tipping because every time I go on a cruise like Carnival or any other cruise line I take my tipping off. But on NCL I tip at the table after I have eaten. And on the last day I tip everyone. I could never understand why service was not good and why I got a funny looks at the end of the cruise and now I know why service is better on Royal.

I doubt there's a cause/effect relationship, but.... the best part is that you know the solution, too. Just stop trying to prove to the cruiseline that you know their business better than they do.

AKA leaving the service charges in place.

Archived