Jewel tipping - When to change amount?

2Oregonians

Let me start off by saying that my husband and I have cruising experience, and know how hard the stewards and wait staff work - and for little money. So WE will be increasing the auto tip.

My family member traveling with us, however, is a different story. Cheap, cheap, cheap. When I told her how much her family of 4 would owe for tips, she was astounded and said that no way was she going to pay that much. MAYBE half, she said. This is a stubborn woman, and I've done all I'm going to do to try and convince her to keep it as is. We'll likely have the same steward as their inside room is across the hall and a couple doors down from our mini-suite, so I feel even more motivated to increase our amount.

Ok, now to my question! This is our first time on NCL. At what point do we go to the purser's desk and alter the amount? I know it is charged to our folio on a daily basis, so should we tell them from the get-go what exactly we want to give per day? Or can we wait until the end and have the entire bill reduced/increased by the amount we choose?

It will be easy for me to say "I want to give them X amount more", but what exactly should my relative say? Just flat out "I want it cut in half" ? Will they question why, or ask if service was lacking? I know I don't want to be in line behind her when she does this!!!

Thanks, folks!

Let me start off by saying that my husband and I have cruising experience, and know how hard the stewards and wait staff work - and for little money. So WE will be increasing the auto tip.

My family member traveling with us, however, is a different story. Cheap, cheap, cheap. When I told her how much her family of 4 would owe for tips, she was astounded and said that no way was she going to pay that much. MAYBE half, she said. This is a stubborn woman, and I've done all I'm going to do to try and convince her to keep it as is. We'll likely have the same steward as their inside room is across the hall and a couple doors down from our mini-suite, so I feel even more motivated to increase our amount.

Ok, now to my question! This is our first time on NCL. At what point do we go to the purser's desk and alter the amount? I know it is charged to our folio on a daily basis, so should we tell them from the get-go what exactly we want to give per day? Or can we wait until the end and have the entire bill reduced/increased by the amount we choose?

It will be easy for me to say "I want to give them X amount more", but what exactly should my relative say? Just flat out "I want it cut in half" ? Will they question why, or ask if service was lacking? I know I don't want to be in line behind her when she does this!!!

Thanks, folks!

You should wait till service is rendered an adjust to the level you receive.

SHE should go the first day to be put on the list .

You should explain to her that they are not tips. they are the crew's pay and it needs to be .....paid.

YOU should not go to the desk and have any part of her removing or adjusting things down. Let her do it on her own if she insists on being a .....well, person who doesn't want to pay her bills. If she's gonna do it, she needs to announce to all the staff that she meets that she doesn't feel obligated to pay them.

Then? Well, I wouldn't spend much time around them, on the off chance that their attitude might be contagious.

You should explain to her that they are not tips. they are the crew's pay and it needs to be .....paid.

YOU should not go to the desk and have any part of her removing or adjusting things down. Let her do it on her own if she insists on being a .....well, person who doesn't want to pay her bills. If she's gonna do it, she needs to announce to all the staff that she meets that she doesn't feel obligated to pay them.

Then? Well, I wouldn't spend much time around them, on the off chance that their attitude might be contagious.

LOL. A little extreme. I'm not going to have anything to do with changing her amount. I said that in my post. She's on her own. I explained what it's all about, and told her they are not employed by an American company, so therefore make LESS than minimum wage, etc., etc. I told her everything they do for you. The rest is up to her. I'm not holding her hand or babysitting her, or even doing it for her.

And they're family, so..... obviously we'll spend the trip with them LOL. We are a family group of 17 people in 6 cabins. 3 generations. They are super fun people, it's just that she's cheap. Attitudes otherwise are fine.

But I'm wondering if it's ok that she (and we, as well) go on the last night to alter the amounts. I don't want the steward spitting in their ice bucket! (Joke ;) )

LOL. A little extreme. I'm not going to have anything to do with changing her amount. I said that in my post. She's on her own. I explained what it's all about, and told her they are not employed by an American company, so therefore make LESS than minimum wage, etc., etc. I told her everything they do for you. The rest is up to her. I'm not holding her hand or babysitting her, or even doing it for her.

And they're family, so..... obviously we'll spend the trip with them LOL. We are a family group of 17 people in 6 cabins. 3 generations. They are super fun people, it's just that she's cheap. Attitudes otherwise are fine.

But I'm wondering if it's ok that she (and we, as well) go on the last night to alter the amounts. I don't want the steward spitting in their ice bucket! (Joke ;) )

If it's your room steward you're concerned about, you probably should give him or her an extra tip in cash the last day of the cruise. That way you know the money will go to them. If you want to have the additional tip shared among various employees, it's best to have it added at the service desk because it will probably will be split up then. It is possible, though, to designate a special tip at the customer service desk for a particular employee. If you do that, they'll give you a voucher you can give to that person. It's my understanding, though, that the crew likes cash because they can spend it in port for snacks and supplies they need.

... Will they question why, or ask if service was lacking? ...

Thanks, folks!

Let your family member know that they will be asked these questions and should be able to point to specific instances that service was lacking. They will also be asked why the issues were not brought forth promptly so that some resolution could be made.

Maybe that will help change their mind??

Let your relative figure it out on her own. No reason why you need to find out anything and provide that information to her.And let her deal with all the questions as to why the service wasn't to her satisfaction. Let her deal with talking to the restaurant manager when the calls come. Let her talk with the director of housekeeping as to why her service was so bad that she needed to reduce the tips.

Let your relative figure it out on her own. No reason why you need to find out anything and provide that information to her.And let her deal with all the questions as to why the service wasn't to her satisfaction. Let her deal with talking to the restaurant manager when the calls come. Let her talk with the director of housekeeping as to why her service was so bad that she needed to reduce the tips.

Totally agree...do NOT stress yourself out over this problem..it is not your problem...it is her's and from what you say..you have explained it all..there is not much else you can do..

ENJOY your cruise...stress free.....

If it's your room steward you're concerned about, you probably should give him or her an extra tip in cash the last day of the cruise. That way you know the money will go to them. If you want to have the additional tip shared among various employees, it's best to have it added at the service desk because it will probably will be split up then. It is possible, though, to designate a special tip at the customer service desk for a particular employee. If you do that, they'll give you a voucher you can give to that person. It's my understanding, though, that the crew likes cash because they can spend it in port for snacks and supplies they need.

I agree with dublell on the the tipping.

I give our steward $20 (cash) at the start of the cruise and explain that I would like plenty of ice in my room at all times and any other special requests I might have. At the end of the cruise, if the service has been very good (always has) I give another $20.

I also tip our waiters and bartenders in cash if the service has been very good as well. Usually $5 for the waiters and $1 for each drink (also in cash) so it goes directly to them.

I make sure I bring plenty of singles and fives with me on the cruise in a separate envelope that I leave in the safe and take them out each day of the cruise.

Don

Thanks folks. I'm not "stressing" over it, and I'm not making a big deal out of it to her. I just want to be able tell her (if there is a real REASON to tell her - that's what I'm asking you guys), to go on the last night rather than the first night. That's all....

So you've kind of answered it for me. If she goes first night, the wait staff and stewards will give them less than exemplary service. If she goes on the last night, the desk will ask why, and then question why it wasn't brought to their attention immediately. (Actually, she won't say it's because of bad service. She'll likely say she just thinks it's too much!)

So bottom line, sounds like I'll be merely saying to her, "I'd go on the last night to change it so you don't get nasty looks from the steward and waiters." That's all. I'm not obsessing over it. I'm not hovering over her, holding her hand, doing her dirty work, or anything else.

Thanks again. ;)

Thanks folks. I'm not "stressing" over it, and I'm not making a big deal out of it to her. I just want to be able tell her (if there is a real REASON to tell her - that's what I'm asking you guys), to go on the last night rather than the first night. That's all....

So you've kind of answered it for me. If she goes first night, the wait staff and stewards will give them less than exemplary service. If she goes on the last night, the desk will ask why, and then question why it wasn't brought to their attention immediately. (Actually, she won't say it's because of bad service. She'll likely say she just thinks it's too much!)

So bottom line, sounds like I'll be merely saying to her, "I'd go on the last night to change it so you don't get nasty looks from the steward and waiters." That's all. I'm not obsessing over it. I'm not hovering over her, holding her hand, doing her dirty work, or anything else.

Thanks again. ;)

well, if I were going to adjust tips downward I think I would go on the last night. But that is just me being logical again.

FWIW, we do not adjust our tips either way, we just leave them alone and give $20 extra to the steward and waiter. I don't think I am alone with this thinking.

Why don't you suggest she become a member here so she can become familiar with all the ins and outs of cruising and her ship in particular. Maybe she would understand the reasoning behind not removing tips unless there is cause and a failure to resolve an issue.;)

You might also suggest she prepay her tips so its not a large charge at the end of the cruise.She could also budget a little every week,month,pay period,whatever as a special "cruise fund".

Don't give her any advice at all other than to tell her that if she insists on removing or reducing the charge she needs to go talk to the front desk, or better yet, the hotel manager. Even better, have her ask her cabin steward where to go to have their service charge reduced. I'm sure he would answer her question :cool:

If a family member suggested such a thing I would tell them that it's part of their fare, and if they can't afford it they should stay home. There's no need to justify the fee based on level of pay, etc. It's part of the cost of the cruise.

A reduction in the Daily Service Charge should be requested only when service has been unsatisfactory. If so, then management should be notified at the time, not at the end of the cruise.

From NCL:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Don't give her any advice at all other than to tell her that if she insists on removing or reducing the charge she needs to go talk to the front desk, or better yet, the hotel manager. Even better, have her ask her cabin steward where to go to have their service charge reduced. I'm sure he would answer her question :cool:

If a family member suggested such a thing I would tell them that it's part of their fare, and if they can't afford it they should stay home. There's no need to justify the fee based on level of pay, etc. It's part of the cost of the cruise.

I totally agree. I wouldn't tell her to wait so she doesn't get dirty looks, she deserves dirty looks as well as the service she intends to pay for, maybe half!

I really think that waiting until the last day to stiff the crew -and that's exactly what we're talking about- is a particularly crummy thing to do.

Tell'em to do it on the first day and to mention to the cabin steward and every waiter at EVERY opportunity all week long that they've shorted their their paycheck because they don't feel like paying them. Truly, that's the fair thing to do.

...must find a 'LIKE' button......

Well said.

Archived