Finally taking our first cruise!

mjfawkes

My mom and dad have been on quite a few cruises and have been asking us to join them for several years now. There's always been one thing or another that's made us say, "Maybe next year..." but it's finally next year and we're finally going on our first cruise.

We're going to see Alaska in May from the Oosterdam! :D I am really looking forward to it; I'll be scouring the CC forums for tips and counting down the days!

My mom and dad have been on quite a few cruises and have been asking us to join them for several years now. There's always been one thing or another that's made us say, "Maybe next year..." but it's finally next year and we're finally going on our first cruise.

We're going to see Alaska in May from the Oosterdam! :D I am really looking forward to it; I'll be scouring the CC forums for tips and counting down the days!

Alaska in August was my husband's first cruise. If you stop in Skagway, try to take the White Pass Rail trip. Bring a towel to wipe the windows if the weather isn't clear. Very nice trip. Beautiful. Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan was a very nice personal tour. Take a dockside tour to the Mendenhall Glacier unless you want to get really close. We thought the view from the Visitor's Center was very adequate considering you will cruise slowly by glaciers anyway. Don't take the Mt. Robert's tramway unless it is very, very, clear and you don't mind spending $29 for a high view. Take the City bus in Skagway to Jewell Gardens. Very nice place for a stroll and lunch. Nice gift shop too. Very close to the old cemetery which is a bit of a walk but had a nice waterfall and gold rush history. (We went from Vancouver to Whittier and back, so we hit each place twice.) Juneau has a nice city museum a few blocks up from the docks. It's a beautiful trip. The only downside was that we had so much salmon, we have been kind of "off" salmon since we got back. Have a great time! My husband had said he never wanted to cruise, but we wanted to take that rail trip and we got a great deal. The result was that we are going on three cruises back-to-back for 39 days from Tampa to the Med in April and a 49-day trip next February from Ft. Lauderdale around South America to LA. He LOVES cruising.

We consider the Oosterdam the "Happy" ship and you will definitely enjoy your time aboard as well as the beauty of Alaska in May. Definitely sign up early for whale watching excursions in Juneau and don't miss the Tongass Trading Company (dockside) for all of your Alaska souvenirs.

Make sure you go to the ROLL Calls, Holland America Roll Call for the Oosterdam to connect with your fellow passengers. Also go to the Cruise Line, Holland America forums to learn what to expect on a HAL cruise. My website is still under construction but you can look at some menus, Explorer daily news, and some pictures from Alaska.

We will be on the Zuiderdam from May 11 to May 25 on the Inside Passage out of Vancouver.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com

Archived