LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

No Meredith - it is the people who come to the Princess theater coughing and hacking over everyone that sits in front of them. I caught their "free" germs 2 days before Buenos Aires and spent 3 days in my cabin so that I wouldn't cough out in public. It's terrible what is going on with all the coughing. I've left the theater several times due to coughing going on behind me but waited too late one time. Now I plan to stand during any events held in the theater.

How right you are!!!! We were on the first leg of this cruise. After the first week I noticed that more and more people were coughing....not just sniffles but deep nasty coughs....this was throughout the ship and on tour buses. Too bad that everyone did not exercise the same responsibility as you and remain in their cabin. On one tour I kept pulling my t shirt up over my nose and mouth as it was so bad with people coughing all around us. We were fortunate and did not catch it .

Hope that you are feeling better. That virus is not a regular cold.

I think everyone is getting a bit grumpy because they are having to live this adventure through Pia and not for themselves.:rolleyes:

Pia, if you don't get to tender to the Falklands you can probably still see some penguins. If the captain stops the ship in front of Stanley for everyone to have a look focus your binoculars on the cove to the left. We saw a few penguins on the beach, more walking up the path and many on the hill. As well travelled as you are you've probably seen many penguins but it gave us a little thrill. I'm enjoying your posts.

Marilu

Same day, but still semi rough seas. They’ve calmed down a bit, but not much. Lots of people affected this morning by the rocking and rolling. Fortunately, not us. We did however stay in our cabin and have room service breakfast. With my stuffed head and chest and the wiggling ship, I decided to forego the treadmill. We are so inexperienced with room service, that I didn’t know that you could put a tip on the bill and had prepared cash for when our order was delivered.

I did go to the spelling bee and didn’t make the cut. Top three were chosen and they had 18, 19 and 20 respectively. My 17 was no good. I could kick myself because I changed a correct spelling for an incorrect one. In any event, there will be another round on the next sea day and three more people will be selected to join the others in the finals. There’s still hope. ;)

We had our most traveled luncheon at noon and as always very good.This time we sat with the doctor. Nice to see him at lunch instead of in his office. Same 40 people as on last cruise.

The ship is cold. Surprise. Surprise. You still see some hale and hearty folks wearing shorts, but not many. It’s amazing how you can roast one day and freeze the next day.

Thanks for the support you guys. And Heather, those buggies will not win. :)

See you all tomorrow in the Falklands. I hope.

Hi Everyone,

When you see a problematic post, please DO NOT battle with the member. It serves no purpose, and detracts from a wonderful thread. Please use the alert triangle report.gif, which will bring it to our attention. Either Host Michell or Myself will take care of it, as soon as possible.

Pia : Thank you for another fantastic "Live From" thread, and for being an outstanding member of our community. I hope you feel better soon, and wish you a wonderful Cruise !

Hope you're able to fight off the cold - and that you make it to the Falklands. I remember it being very cold there, but also fascinating. Thanks for taking time to share your travels with us. :-)

UPDATE

Unfortunately we will be missing the Falklands. Capt. made announcement about an hour ago. Weather conditions will not allow it. I already heard one man say "if he was a good captain we would be going." There are "geniuses" everywhere. :rolleyes:

Goodnite and sorry for the bad news.

Sorry to hear you will be missing that port too, but agree with you that the captain makes the decisions for the good of all. I hope you soon get rid of the yucky crud. It's no fun being sick at any time, but on vacation and when trying to recover from surgery...

I love the details you put into your live from's (including the entertainment options). I guess I missed the drama (or else just ignored it), but keep on doing what you do as long as you're not endangering your health.

I'm new and sailing on March 16 to Hawaii. Cruise personalizer says Captain Lawes. Customer service, phone call, says Captain Anthony???? any info shall be appreciated. thanks paul.

If you are on the Grand, here's your roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1419564

But please don't worry about who your captain is. Closer to your cruise, you should be getting some emails about your cruise, one should be from the captain.

Am I wrong but don't think any Princess ship has made it in this season except our cruise on the SF to Buenos Aires Dec- January.

I know the weather was bad but we still were able to tender .

The following Star Princess cruises after ours have not made it.

I am wondering if part of this is the political issue. We were warned at beginning of our cruise we maybe wouldn't be let into Argentina because we were stopping in Faulklands. We were so lucky that we made all of our ports.

Feel sorry for those on board the Grand that were looking forward to Patrick's tour to Volunteer point, or the Princess Bluff cove trip.

We did the Bluff cove and it was indeed a highlight of our cruise.

If safety is indeed the issue, glad the Captain made the call on not stopping.The town itself is really nothing(Stanley), but interesting to see such a British life, so far from Great Britain.

Our time seeing the King and Gentoo Penguins in their natural habitat was unbelievable.

Pia, truly sorry you are not well but you will really have to take care. The strains of "ship's 'flu" just seem to get worse each year and on a long cruise you can get a 'double dose'. Who knows where it comes from but my first dose was in 1986 and I discovered port (wine) was the best cough medicine - and on a 'duty free' ship it was also readily available - at least it made me feel better.:rolleyes: Now you have 'discovered' room service :) cosy yourself in your cabin and look after yourself.

For me, the 'floating hotel' means breakfast in bed, so it's room service breakfast every day. On cruises where you have to deal with multiple time changes, back and forth, it tells me what time it is, and it also acts as a wake up call on port days. This post has just reminded me how much I love cruising.

Hope you feel better soon.

S

Pia, thanks for another "live" trip. I always follow you on your cruises when I see you posting.

One little tip that you may already know about, but it has been shown that chocolate will help relieve a cough effectively. I found out about it from an AARP bulletin (I think), and have used it successfully for several years. In fact, those Princess nightly chocolates work great!. The slowly melting chocolate soothes your throat going down, and the chemicals in the chocolate suppress the cough reflex. Here's a recent link that talks about it:

http://now.msn.com/chocolate-effective-in-treating-persitent-coughs

I hope this helps with your cough. I know it works for me.

Howard

Pia, thanks for another "live" trip. I always follow you on your cruises when I see you posting.

One little tip that you may already know about, but it has been shown that chocolate will help relieve a cough effectively. I found out about it from an AARP bulletin (I think), and have used it successfully for several years. In fact, those Princess nightly chocolates work great!. The slowly melting chocolate soothes your throat going down, and the chemicals in the chocolate suppress the cough reflex. Here's a recent link that talks about it:

http://now.msn.com/chocolate-effective-in-treating-persitent-coughs

I hope this helps with your cough. I know it works for me.

Howard

May start coughing just to have a good excuse to grab some chocolate - evil evil suggestion Howard!:D

We just got back from this cruise on Friday. We stayed overnight in Buenos Aires. I was feeling bad when I got off the ship and was glad to be home Friday night because ... Saturday and Sunday I never got out of bed and today went to the doctor. He gave me an antibiotic. My friend who went with me on the cruise went to urgency care on Sunday and she has bronchitis. WE were glad to be home just as we got worst.

I know you all are having a great time. This is a great cruise and my friend who took my husband's place because he could go, loved it. It was her first cruise. She met alot people, played majhond every day with a group of ladies. I felt even though I was only on the first leg ot the cruise that it was one of the best itineraries ever. We made so many friends and we even made friends with alot of the staff... Sammi, Bernie, and Victoria.

I just found this forum today as my sister has been following your daily reports and I am glad to find a way to continue to follow the cruise even though physically we are not there.

:p I am anxiously waiting to hear how you all fair when you go around the Horn. I heard it is beautiful but a little rough. Anyway, thank you for forum as it is fun to hear how the cruise is progressing.

Sharon Archbell

Maybe Pia could request extra chocolates with the excuse that it's a medical necessity.

Maybe I'll try that on my next cruise - the "Fire and Ice" itinerary. Sounds legitimate, right?

OK, I'll turn of my keyboard now and quit hijacking Pia's "live".

Howard

While I must agree with you that the $750. value was surprising, just think of it this way; these 170 people got to see something that none of those who stayed behind will ever see. They will likely not pass this way again and will not be presented with the opportunity to do what these people did. One's life is the total of all our experiences and although we may not be able to go out into space to see the stars, they could have experienced the once in a lifetime Sambadrome had $750. not taken precedence. Just saying.

We were on this cruise until Thursday and we went to the Sambadrome with a group of twenty and paid $245 a piece for our tickets. Also, the people who went with Princess told me they stayed until 3:30am. I guess some stayed longer than others on that group. It was so hot and humid that night, but we were so glad we went. It was beautiful.

Too bad you had to miss the Falklands! At least you won't have to worry about the next Argentina port, though - silver linings....;)

Or was that the intent?

They have 1 more call in Argentina , at Ushuaia.

Wonder what they will do with the extra day they have gained?

An overnight in Valparaiso would be nice.:D

Mon 18/02/13 At Sea

Tue 19/02/13 Port Stanley / Falkland Islands 08:00 18:00

Wed 20/02/13 Passage Cape Horn 17:00 18:00

Thu 21/02/13 Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego) / Argentina 07:00 16:00

Fri 22/02/13 Punta Arenas / Chile 07:00 19:00

Sat 23/02/13 Amalia Glacier (Passage) / Chile 16:00 17:00

Sun 24/02/13 At Sea

Mon 25/02/13 Puerto Montt / Chile 08:00 17:00

Tue 26/02/13 At Sea

Wed 27/02/13 Valparaiso / Chile 05:00 18:00

Archived