Balcony on Aloha Deck

Mazz55

We were mid-ship on the Aloha Deck on the Sun Princess in April. We loved it, it was very quiet (I think we heard one noise for 2 minutes above us one night). We liked it so much we also booked Aloha Deck on Sapphire for next year :-)

Has anyone had a balcony room on Aloha deck? Would you have preferred another deck???

We had A305 on the Princess Caribbean and loved it. It was completely covered. I prefer the Caribe deck only because it's half covered and larger.

We were on the Sea Princess, sister ship of the Sun in 2001. Here is what I wrote at that time about the cabin location.

Sea Princess 2001 Fort Lauderdale to San Diego via Panama Canal

The Cabin

We had cabin A339 forward and on the starboard side. It was in an ideal location. If I had it to do again I would take the same cabin. It was a Balcony cabin and I can say we have been spoiled. Although small in size we gladly would give up the extra space for the openness provided by a balcony. It was big enough to have our other eight friends over for happy hour - four guys comfortably on the balcony and the six gals inside. We were only six doors from the elevator (lifts), one deck from the pool area, two decks from the horizon court and seven doors away from the laundry. From our balcony we watched the flying fishes play, the brown boobies (birds) diving for their lunch and on one very rare occasion, on the Pacific side, a giant marlin leaping. Here are the sub-categories of the cabin and the only reason I am getting into details is that posters have asked questions that perhaps the following will answer:

The closet area is five foot six inches long by 1 foot six inches deep. We found it quite adequate for all our clothes. Plenty of wooden hangers and if you need more just ask your room Steward. The bath area was very small but functional. I think if you are a very big person you might have problems. The one outlet is for shaver only and needs a foreign converter. I suppose the room steward has one but I didn't ask. In the evening we ran out of hot water in the shower but it was still warm enough for us. I suppose in the cold weather cruises it could be a problem. There was a 13-inch Sony TV. The Bed: It was at least one grade above hotel standard as were the pillows. Our entire luggage fit under the bed although we did have to slip one large piece under in the open position. The telephone. The telephone system is the best I have seen. Want time? Just punch in 133. To talk to another cabin punch in the code for the deck and the cabin number. I never used the handset. Just tapped the icon for speaker and with great clarity you can talk and hear from anyplace in the room. We used the phone message service to keep track of each other (all ten of us). One of the first things you should do is to get acquainted with the telephone. The Safe. This takes some getting used to. Out of the ten of us four of us had to call for assistance sometime during the cruise. It is quite small but will hold a SLR camera and small miscellaneous. Read the instructions very carefully. The fridge: It is seven and one half inches deep, thirteen inches wide, and eighteen inches high. Don't do what I did and place a soda can on the top shelf or it will turn to slush. Noise: The room is quiet. We could but rarely hear anything from the passageway however the noise on the adjacent balconies travels. We had to close our slider one day as our next-door neighbors read aloud to each other on their balcony. With the slider closed we couldn't hear them

The balcony. It measures eight foot ten inches long by four feet wide. Two resin chairs (it will hold four) and one table. On either side is a partition that when open folds up against the slider. We found this out one day when the wind blew one of them open. Our jewel of a cabin steward quickly got a large hex key and put it back in place. One word of warning. Your next-door neighbors can peer into your balcony and part of your cabin by peeking through the neoprene closure at the ends. Nobody can see you from above or from the bridge extensions. The room area: The entire room excluding the balcony is eight foot two inches wide by 17 foot 2 inches long. The bed area of the room is eight foot two inches wide and eleven foot eight inches long at the head of the bedside and twelve foot two inches long at the foot of the bed. We managed very well. There were few outlets. A hair dryer hung on the wall next to the desk (with mirror behind). The closet area is five foot six inches long by 1 foot six inches deep. We found it quite adequate for all our clothes. Plenty of wooden hangers and if you need more just ask your room Steward

I hope this helps

Has anyone had a balcony room on Aloha deck? Would you have preferred another deck???

Since it varies with the different classes of ships it would be helpful if we knew which ship you were asking about before answering.

Scott

Actually we are going on crown princess which is currently under construction. Being i am the one who chose Aloha for our family cruise was hoping I didn't make a mistake by not chosing caribe deck.Thanks for all your advise and responses.

Our first balcony ever was an upgrade to the Aloha deck on the Star Princess and now I'd have a hard time cruising without one. We were near the back of the ship and loved the location - close to the Horizon Cafe and almost our own personal pool at the back since it is an adults only pool and not used often.

We liked the fact that the balcony was covered since we were in Alaska at the time and didn't expect the sunshine but also avoided the rain.

I know this may sound really silly, but when I stayed on the Aloha deck, I loved the way the elevator "voice" would say "Aloha" when it got to that deck... I think it sounded better than the other deck names!!

(I told you it was silly)!! :D

Archived