Surprised a friend with how cheap cruising is

KORTAM

We where talking the other night about our cruise next week and got the "again, I wish I could go on one, your always going on cruises". I told her you could too if you wanted to, told her that herself and husband could go on a cruise for less than a $1000.00 and got that look of doubt so whipped out my smart phone pulled up carnival and typed in a cruise from a port they could drive too and showed her for $600.00ish (not even the cheapest one I found) and some gas they could go on a Cruise. At that point her eyes lit up and she finally realized she could afford it too if she wants. Have you ever been able to open somebody's eyes like this to cruising, if so share your story?

We had some friends do the same thing to us. We always thought that cruising was so expensive, but we had friends who cruise all the time and kept telling us it was the cheapest vacation they take. So we finally took the plunge and went on our first cruise. It was the first vacation we had taken for less than $2000. It could easily have been the most expensive, but if you watch what time you sail, your excursions, and purchases, it can easily be the less expensive. We are hooked and now are trying to convince others.

No I have never surprised anyone about the price of a cruise. Prices are clear and available to all.

What I have tried to sway non-cruisers minds about is the "Titanic Factor". It is hard to believe but

there are still many otherwise logical people who believe their ship will sink. The Costa tragedy did not help.

I have tried to explain just how big these modern ships are. How safe they are but it's a lost cause for some.

They also compare these monster ships to the time they went fishing off West Palm and got seasick in that 40 footer.

I guess in the end people believe what they want to believe. Still we can try to change their minds. Ain't easy.:rolleyes:

I think it is important to be clear on the additional costs associated with cruising, so everything is on the table. Some find that once they add in the gratuities and their bar bill, then it isn't the "deal" that it was promoted as. I realize that the bar bill is within one's control but for some travelers it can exceed the cost of the cruise itself.

Happens all the time!

I lead group cruises for medical coders - we do 4-hour classes on the sea days so they can get their continuing education. When I quote them the rate, they ask if it's per night? Nope, for the whole 5 nights (or 7 or whatever)!

When they tell me that their employer would never pay for a cruise for their continuing education, I tell them to do the math - it is less expensive to send them on a cruise to get their CEUs than to send them to the national conference -

Yes the price of the cruise alone is reasonable but depending from where you live and add on air, hotel pre or post cruise, drinks, tips, etc. it can very easily double. I enjoy a cruise but an AI vacation is always more reasonable cost wise from my perspective.

I think it is important to be clear on the additional costs associated with cruising, so everything is on the table. Some find that once they add in the gratuities and their bar bill, then it isn't the "deal" that it was promoted as. I realize that the bar bill is within one's control but for some travelers it can exceed the cost of the cruise itself.

You're correct - and we try to be upfront with our group about all that. Only one time has someone really gotten upset with us about the "additional" costs - but it was also someone who had not traveled very much. You have some of those with almost any other vacation too - all-inclusives have fewer, but there are still a few things to think about even there.

Price a condo at the beach - then add in the dinners out, the souvenirs, the shopping, the transportation, the entertainment - and you still come out ahead.

This is why my friends won't cruise. They would rather do an AI. I think cruises can either be really cheap or really expensive depending on what you want to do.

I was talking to a friend the other day at work and she asked me about my upcoming cruise. I got the "I wish I could go" speech. We continued talking and she didn't realize that you did not have to pay the balance off all at once. She was unaware that you just pay the deposit and make several payments during the course of time (depending on when you book). That got her to looking and planning for next spring break :D.

Our friends were turned off by all the negative stuff they seen on TV.

They would ask us "aren't you a frade of this happening or that" Told them no it is not any different than going on an other vacation for bad things happening to you.

So finally they booked a cruise with us. Then it was is there going to be enough stuff to do on the cruise. I am not sure I will like the sea days with nothing to do.

Then the cruise finally came and went. When they got home it was. Wow the time went by so fast. I wish we would have had more time on the ship I did not hardly see any of it. There was golfing on the ship? I did not know that I missed that? There was this and that on the ship? I missed that too.

Now they have went on another cruise by themselves and have another one booked for this summer.:rolleyes:

Maybe not cheap, but a fair price I'd say. We save up for 12-16 months for the 3 of us to take a cruise. Average vacation for us would be grab a tent, pack some food from home and hit the woods for a few days (very cheap). A cruise just offers so much more. We don't do excursions but wander ports and visit schools, orphanages, hike trails etc..

Our last cruise was one year ago to this week. It was 7 days, the cost was 1077.00 plus tax and fees add another 225.00. That is a good deal

Yes the price of the cruise alone is reasonable but depending from where you live and add on air, hotel pre or post cruise, drinks, tips, etc. it can very easily double. I enjoy a cruise but an AI vacation is always more reasonable cost wise from my perspective.

I completely agree with you!

I love to cruise so much but lately we have definitely found much better deals at an AI than on a cruise. We have to travel from the Pac NW so airfare and hotel pre- and sometimes post cruise is a must. Plus the bar bill, gratuities and excursions tip the scales to an AI.

We are fortunately going on a cruise that was a gift or we wouldn't be going. Our AI vacation booked for July is an amazing value, and includes drinks, some spa services and excusions (although tips are "included" we still tip in cash...the service is amazing). I would say we are saving well over $1,000 for the two of us compared to our last cruise with just the two of us.

But, I do miss going to sleep and waking up in a new country!

Happens all the time!

I lead group cruises for medical coders - we do 4-hour classes on the sea days so they can get their continuing education. When I quote them the rate, they ask if it's per night? Nope, for the whole 5 nights (or 7 or whatever)!

When they tell me that their employer would never pay for a cruise for their continuing education, I tell them to do the math - it is less expensive to send them on a cruise to get their CEUs than to send them to the national conference -

Hello KimtheCruiser,

I am a coder, currently working from home for my employer. (been in the HIM field for 30+yrs) I WOULD LOVE TO DO A CODING CRUISE!!! Can you tell me how to get more info on the cruises/coding classes...(is there a website, contact person, etc.)

Thank you!

Archived