Diamond Mini-Suites

kevinsac

Hey....it will be the first time on Princess for a group of us travelling this fall. We've booked a variety of cabin categories, and now have a question for a couple booked in a mini-suite. (I'm the only one in our group who has any on-line experience or interest, so I'm asking CC questions for the group.)

Is there a curtain (or other type of divider) between the bedroom and the sitting area? One of the two is an early-riser, the other sleeps in late; if he gets up with the sun to have coffee and read in the sitting area, can he open the blinds covering the sliding door -- and close a curtain between bedroom and sitting area so she can continue sleeping in darkness? Some of the ships on other lines we have been on have offered this divider and it really works well.

Another question: with all the chat about horrendous coffee on Princess, do the suites or mini-suites have coffee makers? Or should we buy one in Seattle and just leave it on board?

Cheers! ;)

I have been in mini-suites on the Sapphire and Grand and there is no curtain between the sleeping area and the sitting area. Probably an eye mask for the late sleeper would be helpful to block out the light in the morning.

I have never had a problem with Princess coffee but am not an "afficianado". My husband is more a "coffee person" and he's never complained.

Have a great cruise!!

The Diamond Princess is/will be a Grand Class ship and therefore will have the same type of mini suites as the other Grand Class vessels. The answers to your question is that NO, there will not be any type of curtain or divider that sections off the sleeping area from the sitting area. The mini suites are long and narrow and the sitting area will be located by the balcony doors where the sleeping area will be further back in the room towards the entry way. Now on the Sun Class ships, the minis are more like the larger suites on Princess and they DO have a curtain that seperates them, but you will not find this on the Diamond.

As for the coffee, all I can tell you is what I would do and that would be to bring your own coffee maker and favorite coffee. I have not had a decent cup of coffee on a ship in years and always pack our own little pot.

Sorry, but no. There is no divider. I am always a up early around 5 am, I go out and get a couple of cups of coffee and danishes and bring them down to the mini suite and go and sit out on the balcony which is pretty big and just keep the curtain closed, so my wife can still sleep while I watch the ship pull into port.

Tom

That sounds reasonable....on a Med or Carib cruise. But our itinerary takes us across the North Pacific from Alaska to Russia during the first week of October. :rolleyes: I doubt the morning air will be warm enough to be on the balcony for breakfast; will probably have to sit on the sofa and look out at the sea. That's why we they were hoping for a curtain divider.

Nevertheless, all will be well and we will have fun.:D

Kevinsac: First week in October that far north, you may not have a light problem that early in the day. You'll probably be sitting in the dark. If you want to read, I'd take a small flashlight with you.

No dividers, and it's the one thing lacking in the Princess minis that I wish was there- particularly if you are sailing with more than two in the cabin.

As for the coffee, that's a topic that's been much bantered about on these boards. Frankly, the coffee on Princess is mediocre, but tolerable. I have more things to focus on during a cruise than the coffee, but I get your drift. Personally, wouldn't want to go through the bother of lugging a coffee maker onboard.

Princess coffee is actually decent, except at the Horizon Court, where it is barely drinkable. The best coffee on the Diamond (specialty types, for a price) is in the Internet Cafe.

Les

Archived